Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default I give up,. how do you polish metal?

arrya deefmon wrote:
I've made a faceplate of navy bronze and now I'd like it to shine
without having any scratches. I drilled and milled and removed the
surface scratches and then used progressively finer grits of sandpaper
to 1500, then steel wool to 0000, then used automotive rubbing
compound with cotton wadding but I still have a haze and many fine
sanding swirls. I did most of this by hand but I tried a drill press
with a woolen pad and I tried a bench grinder with a cotton wheel in
the rubbing compound stage. Can someone describe the correct
technique? Thank you.

Bronze? Are you sure bronze can be polished? I've polished
a number of things in the past, but never tried bronze. I have
some doubts it will ever take a real polish.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:11:40 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

arrya deefmon wrote:
I've made a faceplate of navy bronze and now I'd like it to shine
without having any scratches. I drilled and milled and removed the
surface scratches and then used progressively finer grits of sandpaper
to 1500, then steel wool to 0000, then used automotive rubbing
compound with cotton wadding but I still have a haze and many fine
sanding swirls. I did most of this by hand but I tried a drill press
with a woolen pad and I tried a bench grinder with a cotton wheel in
the rubbing compound stage. Can someone describe the correct
technique? Thank you.

Bronze? Are you sure bronze can be polished? I've polished
a number of things in the past, but never tried bronze. I have
some doubts it will ever take a real polish.

Jon

Jon,
Bronze polishes up very well. In fact, people used to make mirrors out
of it.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Eric R Snow :
wrote:

arrya deefmon wrote:
I've made a faceplate of navy bronze and now I'd like it to shine
without having any scratches. I drilled and milled and removed the

[ ... ]

Bronze? Are you sure bronze can be polished? I've polished
a number of things in the past, but never tried bronze. I have
some doubts it will ever take a real polish.

Jon,
Bronze polishes up very well. In fact, people used to make mirrors out
of it.

Yep -- "speculum" bronze. "Speculum" was a term for a mirror.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon

According to Eric R Snow :
wrote:

arrya deefmon wrote:
I've made a faceplate of navy bronze and now I'd like it to shine
without having any scratches. I drilled and milled and removed the

[ ... ]

Bronze? Are you sure bronze can be polished? I've polished
a number of things in the past, but never tried bronze. I have
some doubts it will ever take a real polish.

Jon,
Bronze polishes up very well. In fact, people used to make mirrors out
of it.

Yep -- "speculum" bronze. "Speculum" was a term for a mirror.

Telescope mirrors were made of it for years.

Leon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:01:25 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 06:15:59 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
(DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

According to Eric R Snow :

Bronze polishes up very well. In fact, people used to make mirrors out
of it.

Yep -- "speculum" bronze. "Speculum" was a term for a mirror.

The Speculum? Yes, gleefully used by Ob/Gyns everywhere, it brings a
chill to the core of each woman it touches.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

I have just such a speculum on a shelf in my living room. Makes for
fun when a visitor picks it up and plays with it..while their wives
squirm silently...

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:20:33 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

wrote:
The Speculum? Yes, gleefully used by Ob/Gyns everywhere, it brings a
chill to the core of each woman it touches.

I have just such a speculum on a shelf in my living room. Makes for
fun when a visitor picks it up and plays with it..while their wives
squirm silently...

So, how many have caught you winking at their wives? bseg

Gator: The other white meat!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development