Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default I give up,. how do you polish metal?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:11:40 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

arrya deefmon wrote:
I've made a faceplate of navy bronze and now I'd like it to shine
without having any scratches. I drilled and milled and removed the
surface scratches and then used progressively finer grits of sandpaper
to 1500, then steel wool to 0000, then used automotive rubbing
compound with cotton wadding but I still have a haze and many fine
sanding swirls. I did most of this by hand but I tried a drill press
with a woolen pad and I tried a bench grinder with a cotton wheel in
the rubbing compound stage. Can someone describe the correct
technique? Thank you.

Bronze? Are you sure bronze can be polished? I've polished
a number of things in the past, but never tried bronze. I have
some doubts it will ever take a real polish.

Jon

Jon,
Bronze polishes up very well. In fact, people used to make mirrors out
of it.
ERS