Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ernie Leimkuhler

Default LeBlond chuck base plate needed 2-3/8" x 5 tpi

Hi Guys.
I finally offloaded the 1920 LeBlond lathe that has been in my basement
for around 8 years.
I gave it to a friend who has more time and space than I .
He already has it up and running.
His problem is getting chuck baseplates that fit the main arbor.
It uses a 2-3/8" x 5 tpi thread.
It came with 1 dogplate.

What I need is either a source for baseplates with that thread or
somebody willing to cut some nuts with that thread, that later can be
welded to some heavy steel discs.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Welding Instructor - South Seattle Comm. Coll.
- Divers Institute of Technology
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Hi Guys.
I finally offloaded the 1920 LeBlond lathe that has been in my basement
for around 8 years.
I gave it to a friend who has more time and space than I .
He already has it up and running.
His problem is getting chuck baseplates that fit the main arbor.
It uses a 2-3/8" x 5 tpi thread.
It came with 1 dogplate.

What I need is either a source for baseplates with that thread or
somebody willing to cut some nuts with that thread, that later can be
welded to some heavy steel discs.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Welding Instructor - South Seattle Comm. Coll.
- Divers Institute of Technology
CWI/CWE
WABO Examiner

A quick fix, often done in the past, was to mount a plate
on the dogplate. As for the nuts you mention they would
also have to be bored to fit the spindle register.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:38:00 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

Hi Guys.
I finally offloaded the 1920 LeBlond lathe that has been in my basement
for around 8 years.
I gave it to a friend who has more time and space than I .
He already has it up and running.
His problem is getting chuck baseplates that fit the main arbor.
It uses a 2-3/8" x 5 tpi thread.
It came with 1 dogplate.

What I need is either a source for baseplates with that thread or
somebody willing to cut some nuts with that thread, that later can be
welded to some heavy steel discs.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've cut a 5 internal thread before on my 11"x24" Delta, but I'm too
far away. You need the ability to try it, or even better a dummy
spindle nose with the same length and register dimensions so it
doesn't need to be dismounted to try the threads. Of course, you need
the same threading capability for either.

Good luck.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
Hi Guys.
I finally offloaded the 1920 LeBlond lathe that has been in my basement
for around 8 years.
I gave it to a friend who has more time and space than I .
He already has it up and running.
His problem is getting chuck baseplates that fit the main arbor.
It uses a 2-3/8" x 5 tpi thread.
It came with 1 dogplate.

What I need is either a source for baseplates with that thread or
somebody willing to cut some nuts with that thread, that later can be
welded to some heavy steel discs.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Welding Instructor - South Seattle Comm. Coll.
- Divers Institute of Technology
CWI/CWE
WABO Examiner

Wouldn't be a problem for my 16" Pratt & Whitney. It would be nice if you
measured the pitch diameter with thread wires so I can make a dummy spindle.
Also need the length of thread and register diameter. Basically I need a
print of your spindle nose.

Out of curiosity is the spindle taper a Jarno taper? I ran into some older
LeBlond's that were.

Porter Cable 891 router Robert Haar Woodworking 3 January 8th 06 07:52 PM
D1-6 Chuck Dick Metalworking 8 December 26th 05 07:43 PM
Old Craftsman Lathe face plate needed Mike S. Woodturning 10 March 24th 05 07:23 AM
Help Needed: Harding 3J chuck stuck Jeff Williams Metalworking 1 December 28th 04 09:09 PM
SPF ..Advice needed for coloring Moldings....staining with water base stains or dyes. Gino Woodworking 2 December 14th 04 01:23 AM