Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Prevent shaft from sliding

Hi,

I am a newbie to all this stuff. I have a bearing and a shaft like
this:

bbb
bbb
bbb

the | is the shaft and the b's are the cylinder bearing. How or what
do I do to prevent the shaft from sliding up/down? Some kind of lock?
Or another bearing? Please help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Lots of ways: collars and set screws, taper locks, pins, press fit,
special adhesives, etc. How about a bit more detail on the shaft and
bearing sizes as well as application? Have you bought the materials yet?

wrote:

Hi,

I am a newbie to all this stuff. I have a bearing and a shaft like
this:

bbb
bbb
bbb

the | is the shaft and the b's are the cylinder bearing. How or what
do I do to prevent the shaft from sliding up/down? Some kind of lock?
Or another bearing? Please help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I want to play around with small wind turbine. I want to buy a 1 inch
ball bearing from RadioShack and use a 1 inch pvc pipe as the shaft. I
can slide the pipe into the bearing, but I can't figure out what I can
use to prevent it from sliding up and down. I want it to be as
frictionless as possible. I can just screw in a nut or something, but
that would have lots of friction and wear my bearing quickly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

1" pvc pipe will measure 1.315" OD, will not slide into any standard
size of bearing. Assuming that you find some other shaft material that
will actuaally fit a bearing you hve several choices:

-use a 1" collar with a set screw in the side. These slide over the
shaft, tighten with an allen wrench. Downside is that they leave ding
marks in the shaft from the set screw.
-Oval lock bearings have a built in offset collar that mates up with a
similar collar and set screw. The cam action locks is very tightly to
the shaft.

Buy your supplies at a farm or tractor supply place (Fleet Farm, Tractor
Supply, etc) Cheap parts, easy to look at what you are getting. 1"
bearing with cam lock plus flange or pillow block mount should run less
than $10

wrote:
I want to play around with small wind turbine. I want to buy a 1 inch
ball bearing from RadioShack and use a 1 inch pvc pipe as the shaft. I
can slide the pipe into the bearing, but I can't figure out what I can
use to prevent it from sliding up and down. I want it to be as
frictionless as possible. I can just screw in a nut or something, but
that would have lots of friction and wear my bearing quickly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thank you so much. You are very helpful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Go to the store and look at a PVC pipe fitting which is designed to join pipes
end to end. Picture in your mind what it would be like if you cut off just the
socket part from each end, that would leave you with two bottomless sockets, in
other words two collars that would slide over the pipe so you can put them
anywhere you want. Glue them where you want them with the bearing sandwiched
between them, using PVC cement and the instructions on the bottle. - GWE

wrote:

That sounds really good. I can't get all the details from your post.
Can you please explain the steps in details or draw a simple diagram?
Thanks.

Grant Erwin wrote:

wrote:

I want to play around with small wind turbine. I want to buy a 1 inch
ball bearing from RadioShack and use a 1 inch pvc pipe as the shaft. I
can slide the pipe into the bearing, but I can't figure out what I can
use to prevent it from sliding up and down. I want it to be as
frictionless as possible. I can just screw in a nut or something, but
that would have lots of friction and wear my bearing quickly.

If you can get a bearing that fits PVC pipe, the best way I can think of to
positively locate the bearing on the pipe OD is to get a 1" pipe joint (straight
piece you butt 2 PVC pipes into to join them lengthwise) and saw it in half,
then trim out the inside step the pipe would butt up against so the thing will
slide over the OD of the pipe, decide where you want your bearing and use PVC
glue to put this closely-fitting PVC collar where you want it permanently, then
put on your bearing, then glue the other collar on the other side. No rust, no
muss, no fuss.

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Sure, but at least we've solved one of his problems. - GWE

RoyJ wrote:
It will still be the wrong OD

Grant Erwin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:53:56 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

1" pvc pipe will measure 1.315" OD, will not slide into any standard
size of bearing. Assuming that you find some other shaft material that
will actuaally fit a bearing you hve several choices:

-use a 1" collar with a set screw in the side. These slide over the
shaft, tighten with an allen wrench. Downside is that they leave ding
marks in the shaft from the set screw.

Stick a small piece of brass brazing rod under the setscrew..or a
small piece of bird shot. It stops the ding issue

wrote:
I want to play around with small wind turbine. I want to buy a 1 inch
ball bearing from RadioShack and use a 1 inch pvc pipe as the shaft. I
can slide the pipe into the bearing, but I can't figure out what I can
use to prevent it from sliding up and down. I want it to be as
frictionless as possible. I can just screw in a nut or something, but
that would have lots of friction and wear my bearing quickly.

- Proverbs 22:3