Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default Prevent shaft from sliding

Go to the store and look at a PVC pipe fitting which is designed to join pipes
end to end. Picture in your mind what it would be like if you cut off just the
socket part from each end, that would leave you with two bottomless sockets, in
other words two collars that would slide over the pipe so you can put them
anywhere you want. Glue them where you want them with the bearing sandwiched
between them, using PVC cement and the instructions on the bottle. - GWE

wrote:

That sounds really good. I can't get all the details from your post.
Can you please explain the steps in details or draw a simple diagram?
Thanks.

Grant Erwin wrote:

wrote:

I want to play around with small wind turbine. I want to buy a 1 inch
ball bearing from RadioShack and use a 1 inch pvc pipe as the shaft. I
can slide the pipe into the bearing, but I can't figure out what I can
use to prevent it from sliding up and down. I want it to be as
frictionless as possible. I can just screw in a nut or something, but
that would have lots of friction and wear my bearing quickly.

If you can get a bearing that fits PVC pipe, the best way I can think of to
positively locate the bearing on the pipe OD is to get a 1" pipe joint (straight
piece you butt 2 PVC pipes into to join them lengthwise) and saw it in half,
then trim out the inside step the pipe would butt up against so the thing will
slide over the OD of the pipe, decide where you want your bearing and use PVC
glue to put this closely-fitting PVC collar where you want it permanently, then
put on your bearing, then glue the other collar on the other side. No rust, no
muss, no fuss.

GWE