Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default Prevent shaft from sliding

1" pvc pipe will measure 1.315" OD, will not slide into any standard
size of bearing. Assuming that you find some other shaft material that
will actuaally fit a bearing you hve several choices:

-use a 1" collar with a set screw in the side. These slide over the
shaft, tighten with an allen wrench. Downside is that they leave ding
marks in the shaft from the set screw.
-Oval lock bearings have a built in offset collar that mates up with a
similar collar and set screw. The cam action locks is very tightly to
the shaft.

Buy your supplies at a farm or tractor supply place (Fleet Farm, Tractor
Supply, etc) Cheap parts, easy to look at what you are getting. 1"
bearing with cam lock plus flange or pillow block mount should run less
than $10

wrote:
I want to play around with small wind turbine. I want to buy a 1 inch
ball bearing from RadioShack and use a 1 inch pvc pipe as the shaft. I
can slide the pipe into the bearing, but I can't figure out what I can
use to prevent it from sliding up and down. I want it to be as
frictionless as possible. I can just screw in a nut or something, but
that would have lots of friction and wear my bearing quickly.