M Powell

Default Mandrel-bending handle bars

I'm looking for an elegant solution to what is probably an odd problem with
my bicycle. I'm in Houston, and the bike is a hybrid.

Here's the deal -- I was born without a left hand. I have my wrist, but the
umbilical cord had wrapped around, just outside my wrist, so that part got
cut off from blood flow... Anyway, lately I'm doing the old guy thing &
riding for exercise. Now that I'm putting more miles on, the difference in
my reach --about 1.5 to 2 inches-- is being felt in my back. I need to make
up this difference, so that my shoulders are squared back up. But I don't
want a clunky solution of using tape or a riser block....

So far, I've just mis-aligned (cocked) the bars to favor the left side.
That's certainly simple & elegant, but is looks & feels wrong -- two guys
have even offered to show me how to properly align the handle bars to the
front wheel. Sigh.

So, where might I go in Houston to get someone to work with me on
mandrel-bending the handlebar, which I figure would be easier & neater than
cutting & TIG'ing it. I'm assuming the bars is aluminum -- the bike is a
Motobecane hybrid, purchased about a year ago.

Many Thanks,
--M Powell

(I'm cross posting this to Rec.bicycles.misc)

Bill Cotton

I have seen electrician bend conduit is many ways install machinery in
machineshops that I have worked in. Contact an industrial electrician or
someone that works with tube bending.
--

www.billcotton.com
"M Powell" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Leo Lichtman

"M Powell" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm looking for an elegant solution to what is probably an odd problem

with
my bicycle. I'm in Houston, and the bike is a hybrid.

Here's the deal -- I was born without a left hand. I have my wrist, but

the
umbilical cord had wrapped around, just outside my wrist, so that part got
cut off from blood flow... Anyway, lately I'm doing the old guy thing &
riding for exercise. Now that I'm putting more miles on, the difference in
my reach --about 1.5 to 2 inches-- is being felt in my back. I need to

make
up this difference, so that my shoulders are squared back up (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^
I can't remember what they're called, but I have a pair of extra handles
clamped to the ends of my handlebar, used mainly for hard pedalling uphill.
(They clamp onto the end of the handlebar and go forward and then in.) I
wonder whether one of these, properly positioned, would give you the offset
you need. It might be possible to make or modify one to give you a perfect
fit. The advantage is you can play with trial and error, without having to
tke everything apart each time you want to fine-tune it.

nic

Check a race car fabrication shop, a web search came up with
http://www.totalnetcontrol.net/finis...ssis_Shop.html
They might have tube benders with the necessary mandrels,
and also may have 4130 tubing with enough wall thickness and
strength to work without bending, like I suspect conduit
might.

Metal Door & Handle BigWallop UK diy 1 June 15th 04 08:00 AM
Nails Approved as Handle Ties Peter H. Metalworking 5 January 20th 04 02:16 AM
scroll bending jig Keith Marshall Metalworking 0 July 10th 03 01:57 AM