Leo Lichtman

Default Mandrel-bending handle bars

"M Powell" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm looking for an elegant solution to what is probably an odd problem

with
my bicycle. I'm in Houston, and the bike is a hybrid.

Here's the deal -- I was born without a left hand. I have my wrist, but

the
umbilical cord had wrapped around, just outside my wrist, so that part got
cut off from blood flow... Anyway, lately I'm doing the old guy thing &
riding for exercise. Now that I'm putting more miles on, the difference in
my reach --about 1.5 to 2 inches-- is being felt in my back. I need to

make
up this difference, so that my shoulders are squared back up (clip)

I can't remember what they're called, but I have a pair of extra handles
clamped to the ends of my handlebar, used mainly for hard pedalling uphill.
(They clamp onto the end of the handlebar and go forward and then in.) I
wonder whether one of these, properly positioned, would give you the offset
you need. It might be possible to make or modify one to give you a perfect
fit. The advantage is you can play with trial and error, without having to
tke everything apart each time you want to fine-tune it.