Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default slow explorer

I have 1.3 ghz amd, 736 mb ram, XP home-sp2, 80 gb hd.

For the last few days my web pages have been very slow to download,
taking
from 30 sec. to several minutes. I tried firefox and it's the same
thing.
eventually the program closes and I get the message:

"Microsoft Visual C++
Runtime Library. Buffer overrun detected!
Program: C:\program files\Internet explorer\iexplore.exe
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's
internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must
now be
terminated."

I googled for advice and got all sorts of strange results, causing me
uninstall and reinstall java, internet explorer and XP itself. I've run
macafee,
AVG, bit defender, Spy Sweeper, Ad-aware,Stinger and housecall. Some
of them I ran several times. They found a virus or two but now the
problem
still exists. I don't get the buffer overrun message anymore but
Microsoft explorer and Internet explorer are very slow operating. I
uninstalled Firefox but now I get an error message when trying to
reinstall.

I entered this on TSGL and they didn't give me any useful advice.
can anyone please tell me where to go from here?

Reformatting is not an option at this time, I have too many app's which

would be hard to replace.
engineman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG

I assume you use Internet Explorer.

You might help things by going to Tools/ Options and tell it
delete files and delete cookies. This is emptying the temporary
internet files and cache and not removing anything you need. When
these get choked full, it really slows IE. To prevent this
happening in the future, you can set IE to perform this
automatically each time you close IE. You will find this choice
at Tools/Options/Advanced. I hope this helps.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have 2 GB free on my HD , I'm using Comcast cable and Macafee AV is
in the background.
Engineman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RJ

You may have more running in the background then you know. Go to
Start...Run..... type in msconfig...press enter. Go to the StartUp tab.
This is what starts when you power your machine up. Look for anything
strange. Spyware etc.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 2 GB free on my HD , I'm using Comcast cable and Macafee AV is
in the background.
Engineman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³

Default OT - slow explorer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 2 GB free on my HD , I'm using Comcast cable and Macafee AV is
in the background.
Engineman

If you only have 2 GB free, you need to unload at least 3 GB before XP's
Disk Defragmenter can run - and, you'll find that to be your first best
action.

1. Use "ProgramsAccessoriesSystem ToolsDisk Cleanup" to get rid of
temporary files.
2. Offload to CD/DVD sufficient extraneous files to provide a minimum of 5
GB of unused space on your HD.
3. Reboot into "Safe Mode".
4. Use ProgramsAccessoriesSystem ToolsDisk Defragmenter" to defragment
and compact the files.
5. Reboot to "Normal Mode".
6. Reload, if you absolutely must, the files offloaded in step 2.

By using "Safe Mode" for the defrag the process will go noticiably faster.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk

Check for root kit viruses as well. Nasty little buggers, and most
virus checkers can't find them. I used UN-Hack Me to find one I had.
http://www.UnHackMe.com
It wasn't able to remove the one it found, but I was able to kill the
file in safe mode.

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Your disk is full, clean off 25%. Let this be a lesson...be ready to
reinstall OS and all at a moment's notice. It's not "IF" you are going to
have problems, it's "WHEN" It's just not worth the time to un-diddle a hard
drive, and NEVER fill it more than 75%.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:13:31 -0600, RJ wrote:
You may have more running in the background then you know. Go to
Start...Run..... type in msconfig...press enter. Go to the StartUp tab.
This is what starts when you power your machine up. Look for anything
strange. Spyware etc.

He said that adaware and friends came up clean, so I don't think that's
it. I'd be interested in seeing if he's just out of RAM - a
paging/swapping system will get slow, all of the sudden, when it has to
write to disk instead of solid state memory.

How about this - go into Task manager, click on the "Performance" tab.
Which are you out of, CPU, or Memory?

Dave Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Tom Gardner wrote:
Your disk is full, clean off 25%. Let this be a lesson...be ready to
reinstall OS and all at a moment's notice. It's not "IF" you are going to
have problems, it's "WHEN" It's just not worth the time to un-diddle a hard
drive, and NEVER fill it more than 75%.

Yes, really sad. All these problems have been solved 30 years
ago in the minicomputer world, but MicroSoft can't do anything
the right way. I've been running my main Linux system at 94-96%
full for a year or more. I have NEVER defragmented the drive.
It DOES slow it down, by about 5% or so, over an unfragmented drive,
but that is not enough to bother about.

As for viruses, I've never seen one. I have been successfully hacked
twice. One time the hacker was just using my machine to scan open
ports, and I just cancelled his processes, found the security hole
and closed it. The other time it was malicious, and took some work to
fix. But, I unhacked that system, and it is still running. Oh,
I really didn't even have to reboot to undo the hacking! I have NEVER,
EVER, had to reload Linux. My server machine gets several blasts
from hacking scripts every day. When I notice more than 1000 login
attempts from a single IP address, I send a "please stop this hacker"
message to their ISP, if they are in the developed world.

My Linux systems usually stay up 75 - 150 days at a time, and most
shutdowns are due to power failures.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

I've got a few Linux boxes doing their thing but Solidworks won't easily run
on them so, embrace the chaos!