Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG

Default slow explorer

I assume you use Internet Explorer.

You might help things by going to Tools/ Options and tell it
delete files and delete cookies. This is emptying the temporary
internet files and cache and not removing anything you need. When
these get choked full, it really slows IE. To prevent this
happening in the future, you can set IE to perform this
automatically each time you close IE. You will find this choice
at Tools/Options/Advanced. I hope this helps.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have 1.3 ghz amd, 736 mb ram, XP home-sp2, 80 gb hd.

For the last few days my web pages have been very slow to
download,
taking
from 30 sec. to several minutes. I tried firefox and it's the
same
thing.
eventually the program closes and I get the message:

"Microsoft Visual C++
Runtime Library. Buffer overrun detected!
Program: C:\program files\Internet explorer\iexplore.exe
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the
program's
internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution
and must
now be
terminated."

I googled for advice and got all sorts of strange results,
causing me
uninstall and reinstall java, internet explorer and XP itself.
I've run
macafee,
AVG, bit defender, Spy Sweeper, Ad-aware,Stinger and housecall.
Some
of them I ran several times. They found a virus or two but now
the
problem
still exists. I don't get the buffer overrun message anymore but
Microsoft explorer and Internet explorer are very slow
operating. I
uninstalled Firefox but now I get an error message when trying
reinstall.

I entered this on TSGL and they didn't give me any useful
advice.
can anyone please tell me where to go from here?

Reformatting is not an option at this time, I have too many
app's which

would be hard to replace.
engineman