DDoerschuk

Default What is a "Growler"? (electrical test device)

Fellow RCMers,

I've been reading a book from the 50's that describes different kinds
of electrical motors and how to repair/rebuild them. In one part, it
very briefly recommends using a "growler" to test an armature.
Unfortunately, the reference was short and pretty obscure, and I was
left in the dark as to what the test would even accomplish. Does
anyone know the answers to any of these questions?:
1) What does a growler measure?
2) How to you correctly use one?
3) Can you build your own?
4) Has it been replaced by a newer device? I notice that neither HP
or Fluke offer one, so I suspect it may be antiquated.

This question might be better suited for rec.electronics or something,
but I know the metalworking hobby tends to generate piles of broken
motors (got a few myself) so I thought I'd check with y'all first.

Thanks!
Dave Doerschuk
PJ

DDoerschuk wrote:
[...]

Dave,
Check out this site. It will explain it for you.
http://www.infodotinc.com/basae/28.htm
Basically, the growler is a test device that will induce a magnetic
field into an armature and then allow you to check for shorts and
opens in the windings. It sort of acts like the primary of a
transformer. It is generally used with motors that have commutators.
(DC motors, repulsion and universal motors, auto starters and
generators, etc.)
HTH
PJ

Jim Stewart

DDoerschuk wrote:

Fellow RCMers,

I've been reading a book from the 50's that describes different kinds
of electrical motors and how to repair/rebuild them. In one part, it
very briefly recommends using a "growler" to test an armature.
Unfortunately, the reference was short and pretty obscure, and I was
left in the dark as to what the test would even accomplish. Does
anyone know the answers to any of these questions?:
1) What does a growler measure?
2) How to you correctly use one?
3) Can you build your own?
4) Has it been replaced by a newer device? I notice that neither HP
or Fluke offer one, so I suspect it may be antiquated.

It's a 2-part device. The first part is a U-shaped chunk
of iron with ends of the U in a vee shape so that an
armature can be set inside them. A coil is wound around
the U and AC is applied to it.

The second part is a set of probes and some kind of
indicator.

By putting the suspect armature in the crotch of the U
and applying power to the coil, you induce a voltage
into the windings of the armature. You can then probe
the segments of the commutator and test for shorts or
opens.

It's called a growler because of the obnoxious sound
the armature makes rattling against the U shaped pole.

Snapon still sells them:

www.associatedequip.com/associated/ pdf/manuals/mt326c.pdf

MP Toolman

A growler is a electromagnetic device for inducing an alternating magnetic
field in a wound motor armature (usually DC or universal motors.) If there is
a short in the armature, circulating currents will be induced. These
circulating currents produce their own magnetic field that can cause the
growling sound -- or in my own experience can be found by passing a thin strip
of magnetic material like a hacksaw blade over the armature. Growlers look
like a U or a V shaped stack of laminations with a coil of magnet wire wrapped
around it. Try a company specializing in motor servicing tools -- perhaps
Ideal or Stockdale.

Mill

[...]

Paul

Default ot: What is a "Growler"? (electrical test device)

Or of course your woman after you've downed a Growler full of your
favorite beer....without sharing.
Paul

DDoerschuk wrote:

[...]

Tom Wait

I've got one of those. PMS= permanent mean streak.
SMBO!!
Tom, cowering in the basement, (where the shop is.)

DDoerschuk wrote:

[...]

George

I would (almost) bet that a "growler" is another name for a "current
sniffer". With these you inject an AC current at one node and have the
return located at some other node that is shorted to it and shouldn't be.
Then, the "current sniffer" is an inductive probe that you wave back and
forth along the wiring or trace (as the case may be) and when the tone
(growl?) changes, you've found the physical location of your short. I
believe that a company currently produces such a product under the trade
name "Tone Ohm". If you like eBay, you can frequently pick up a used GenRad
Bug Hound which is also such a device. It doesn't actually give an
empirical measurement but helps you to (physically) locate a short.

DDoerschuk wrote:

[...]

Jim Stewart

George wrote:

I would (almost) bet that a "growler" is another name for a "current
sniffer". With these you inject an AC current at one node and have the
return located at some other node that is shorted to it and shouldn't be.
Then, the "current sniffer" is an inductive probe that you wave back and
forth along the wiring or trace (as the case may be) and when the tone
(growl?) changes, you've found the physical location of your short. I
believe that a company currently produces such a product under the trade
name "Tone Ohm". If you like eBay, you can frequently pick up a used GenRad
Bug Hound which is also such a device. It doesn't actually give an
empirical measurement but helps you to (physically) locate a short.

Nope, not a Tone Ohm. Go back and read some of
the other replies to find out what it is.

DDoerschuk wrote:

[...]

Jack Erbes

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:28:18 -0600, Jerry Wass
wrote:

I always thought it was a woman with PMS.

Hey, they have their own radio station now. Call letters are KPMS,
the programming format is 23 days of rock and roll and then 7 days of
ragtime.

Roger Shoaf

wrote:

I always thought it was a woman with PMS.

Hey, they have their own radio station now. Call letters are KPMS,
the programming format is 23 days of rock and roll and then 7 days of
ragtime.

They call it "PMS" because the term "Mad Cow Disease" was already in use.

Ken Sterling

wrote:

I always thought it was a woman with PMS.

Hey, they have their own radio station now. Call letters are KPMS,
the programming format is 23 days of rock and roll and then 7 days of
ragtime.

Sh*t, Jack.... *another* keyboard shot to hell......
Ken.
Gunner

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:41:47 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I always thought it was a woman with PMS.

Hey, they have their own radio station now. Call letters are KPMS,
the programming format is 23 days of rock and roll and then 7 days of
ragtime.

They call it "PMS" because the term "Mad Cow Disease" was already in use.

I thought it was because " Rabies" was already in use. Maybe its an
American thing........

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Old Nick

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:53:30 -0800, Jim Stewart
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

It's a 2-part device. The first part is a U-shaped chunk
of iron with ends of the U in a vee shape so that an
armature can be set inside them. A coil is wound around
the U and AC is applied to it.

The second part is a set of probes and some kind of
indicator.

By putting the suspect armature in the crotch of the U
and applying power to the coil, you induce a voltage
into the windings of the armature. You can then probe
the segments of the commutator and test for shorts or
opens.

It's called a growler because of the obnoxious sound
the armature makes rattling against the U shaped pole.

And from your description of its use I would growl too.

Crotch...probe...power...voltage....grrr.

But yes, I remember using them. Lovely name and very apt.
************************************************** ** sorry

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Old Nick

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:28:18 -0600, Jerry Wass
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I always thought it was a woman with PMS.

Otherwise known as an elect testicle device.

Please read my reply on crotch, voltage, probe etc. It probably
applies.
************************************************** ** sorry

Spike....Spike? Hello?
DejaVU

Old Nick scribed in
:

It's a 2-part device. The first part is a U-shaped chunk
of iron with ends of the U in a vee shape so that an
armature can be set inside them. A coil is wound around
the U and AC is applied to it.

yup
can also double as a tape eraser. cassette, 1/4" reel to reel, VHS.
anything. just put a sheet of cardboard across the top and slide the
tape around over the poles for a bit.

The second part is a set of probes and some kind of
indicator.

my Dad's one has a light bulb for that. the probes have 230 volts
across them when switched on.

into the windings of the armature. You can then probe
the segments of the commutator and test for shorts or
opens.

I've never been sure exactly what to look for with this thing. with
my Dremel tha thad a couple of open windings I just found them with
an OHM meter.

Spike....Spike? Hello?

needle noddle nooooooooooooooooo

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /

test for Jimbo dale Metalworking 3 November 13th 03 05:52 PM
New Electrical Regs - Again PoP UK diy 169 October 22nd 03 11:34 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM
Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P) Andrew McKay UK diy 42 July 30th 03 08:05 AM