PJ

Default What is a "Growler"? (electrical test device)

DDoerschuk wrote:
Fellow RCMers,

I've been reading a book from the 50's that describes different
kinds of electrical motors and how to repair/rebuild them. In
one part, it very briefly recommends using a "growler" to test an
armature. Unfortunately, the reference was short and pretty
obscure, and I was left in the dark as to what the test would
even accomplish. Does anyone know the answers to any of these
questions?: 1) What does a growler measure?
2) How to you correctly use one?
3) Can you build your own?
4) Has it been replaced by a newer device? I notice that
neither HP or Fluke offer one, so I suspect it may be antiquated.

This question might be better suited for rec.electronics or
something, but I know the metalworking hobby tends to generate
piles of broken motors (got a few myself) so I thought I'd check
with y'all first.

Thanks!
Dave Doerschuk

Dave,
Check out this site. It will explain it for you.
http://www.infodotinc.com/basae/28.htm
Basically, the growler is a test device that will induce a magnetic
field into an armature and then allow you to check for shorts and
opens in the windings. It sort of acts like the primary of a
transformer. It is generally used with motors that have commutators.
(DC motors, repulsion and universal motors, auto starters and
generators, etc.)
HTH
PJ