Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default hot wrench

I had to take apart a flimsy old cast iron camp stove today. Fifty year old
steel screws/nuts holding the cast iron top onto flimsy sheet metal. I tried
half-heartedly to unscrew them, but I knew they wouldn't budge. I would have dug
out the air chisel but I wanted to save the cast iron top to use to hold up my
lead pot over a Mike Porter burner. So I dug out the O/A torch and flushed off
the 12 offending screws in a jiffy. Knocked off a little slag and the top is
ready for the bead blaster.

I love oxy/fuel torches sometimes.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 14:25:10 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I had to take apart a flimsy old cast iron camp stove today. Fifty year old
steel screws/nuts holding the cast iron top onto flimsy sheet metal. I tried
half-heartedly to unscrew them, but I knew they wouldn't budge. I would have dug
out the air chisel but I wanted to save the cast iron top to use to hold up my
lead pot over a Mike Porter burner. So I dug out the O/A torch and flushed off
the 12 offending screws in a jiffy. Knocked off a little slag and the top is
ready for the bead blaster.

I love oxy/fuel torches sometimes.

GWE

Another name for a cutting torch is "gas wrench". If someone hears
that one for the first time they know exactly what it is.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. Zimmerman

The Brits call it a gas axe.... Maybe a better description considering the
number of Oops! I have seen.
Randy

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Welder called his arc welder a electric glue gun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

wrote:

I had to take apart a flimsy old cast iron camp stove today. Fifty year old
steel screws/nuts holding the cast iron top onto flimsy sheet metal. I tried
half-heartedly to unscrew them, but I knew they wouldn't budge. I would have dug
out the air chisel but I wanted to save the cast iron top to use to hold up my
lead pot over a Mike Porter burner. So I dug out the O/A torch and flushed off
the 12 offending screws in a jiffy. Knocked off a little slag and the top is
ready for the bead blaster.

I love oxy/fuel torches sometimes.

GWE

Another name for a cutting torch is "gas wrench". If someone hears
that one for the first time they know exactly what it is.
ERS

Also known as the "blue tip wrench" as in contrast to the "blue
point" wrench
Or the "Blue tip chisel", or even the "blue tip drill and tap" when
used to burn boken tuds out of cast manifolds, leaving the threads
intact.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AndrewV

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I had to take apart a flimsy old cast iron camp stove today. Fifty year old
steel screws/nuts holding the cast iron top onto flimsy sheet metal. I
tried half-heartedly to unscrew them, but I knew they wouldn't budge. I
would have dug out the air chisel but I wanted to save the cast iron top to
use to hold up my lead pot over a Mike Porter burner. So I dug out the O/A
torch and flushed off the 12 offending screws in a jiffy. Knocked off a
little slag and the top is ready for the bead blaster.

I love oxy/fuel torches sometimes.

GWE

I spent some time with mine today also, cut up the 1000 gal oil tank I just
pulled out of the ground. I suppose the sawzall would of worked but the O/A
is much more satisfying.

Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

wrote:

[...]

we called them smoke wrenches

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

I had to take apart a flimsy old cast iron camp stove today. Fifty year old
steel screws/nuts holding the cast iron top onto flimsy sheet metal. I tried
half-heartedly to unscrew them, but I knew they wouldn't budge. I would have dug
out the air chisel but I wanted to save the cast iron top to use to hold up my
lead pot over a Mike Porter burner. So I dug out the O/A torch and flushed off
the 12 offending screws in a jiffy. Knocked off a little slag and the top is
ready for the bead blaster.

I love oxy/fuel torches sometimes.

GWE

Another name for a cutting torch is "gas wrench". If someone hears
that one for the first time they know exactly what it is.
ERS

Fire Axe

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Lee

Alternative or shop names for Oxy-Acetylene torches summarised (so far):

Smoke Wrench - John amdinc&intergrafix.net
Blue tip Chisel - clare, at, snyder.on.ca
Blue tip Drill and Tap (used to burn broken studs out of cast
manifolds, leaving intact.)
- clare, at, snyder.on.ca
Gas Wrench - Eric R Snow etpm&whidbey.com
Gas Axe - R. Zimmerman m-zimmerman&shaw.ca
Blue Flame Spanner - Bill Lee

[insert wavy lines, wavy lines in flashback]
When I worked for Elcom (1984/85) as a summer job whilst at University,
we repaired underground miners and mine equipment. These mining machines
worked underground for months in a coal mine and in contact with
corrosive acid water. Periodically they were partially disassembled and
hauled out of the mine for major repairs and overhauls. Then the real
fun began.

Quarter-inch high-tensile steel plate used as covers had to be bent back
to shape: they were set up in a press and everyone cleared the shop
while the press was controlled remotely since there was a huge amount of
energy stored in those plates and you didn't want to be nearby if the
plate slipped while it was been bent back to shape.

One day one of the boilermakers was trying to extract a bolt (about 1"
diameter) that had previously been replaced at some time in the past. He
was lying on top of the miner, head and shoulders down at in a tight
squeeze at the front of the miner, trying to undo this bolt (which would
have allowed the mining heads to come off, which then would have given
free access to the front). Eventually, frustrated at the lack of space,
he called for the "Blue Flame Spanner" to cut the head off the bolt.
After ten or fifteen minutes, lots of cursing and disparaging comments
were being made from the boilermaker. I asked him what the problem was,
and he said, "Some F**king C**t made the bolt out of stainless steel",
and he was unable to cut it off. It appeared that someone in the past
had replaced the old bolt by one fabricated from stainless steel,
obviously to avoid it being corroded to uselessness while underground.
The only problem is that they didn't consider what they would do if they
had to remove it and the problem was damage to the threads instead of
being corroded in place.

Bill Lee

Note: Replace the & symbol above with an @ (done to make it harder for
spammers to grab the addresses).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 00:59:02 GMT, "R. Zimmerman"
wrote:

The Brits call it a gas axe.

I've never heard it called that by anoyone who didn't use it exactly
like one.

I watched a guy once making a memorial plaque in thick copper, using an
oxy-acetylene torch with a sideways sheet cutting nozzle to carve
lettters into it. Beautiful piece of work - he could hold the depth to
within 1/8"