Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mechanized_robot

Default King-Seeley Drill Press / Chuck Removal

I want to replace the chuck on a King-Seeley (Craftsman) drill press
and am not sure how to go about it. This is the best set of pictures I
can find on the unit -

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2254

Above the chuck is a knurled collar w/ 2 recesses 180-degrees apart.
The chuck is a Jacobson 1/2" w/ J33 mount. Does anyone have experience
with this drill press or have a likely idea on how chuck removal would
be accomplished?

I will appreciate any guidance on this.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

Yep it needs a set of wedges to pop it off the tapered end of the
spindle. They are a pretty darn good drill press...too bad sears does
not sell nay today of that quality. I picked up a bench model with a
1/2hp motor on it that looked to be in excellent condiiton, and well
taken careof, and certianly was not used much, for a mere $45 in a
pawn shop. I gave it to my friend awhile back and its been a very good
drill press. King Seeley made quate a few of the better power tools
for Sears. Makes you wonder, a well known manufacturer of mattresses,
can make a super tool as such, yet well known tool makers and
electircal companies have trouble making a half assed decent tool
anymore........Guess its the american way of doing business.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Honest A Babin

mechanized_robot wrote:
I want to replace the chuck on a King-Seeley (Craftsman) drill press
and am not sure how to go about it. This is the best set of pictures I
can find on the unit -

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2254

Above the chuck is a knurled collar w/ 2 recesses 180-degrees apart.
The chuck is a Jacobson 1/2" w/ J33 mount. Does anyone have experience
with this drill press or have a likely idea on how chuck removal would
be accomplished?

I will appreciate any guidance on this.

Why to removeing the chuck? Take large hex key and tighten into chuck.
Use this to hold chuck fimbly. Turn knurlded collard by hand same
direction as drilling as it screws down it will push on back of chuchj
and force it off. #33 is taper of spinlder which is forcefit to chuckj
only and not threaded on. Some old chuckers have threadedd collard
part of chuck but King Sealy not like .
Hilde and I have a King Sealy mattresses and sllep happy for years. It
is good to been alive and coundting blessings.
Happy News Year to you from coldier New englands!
A Babin & Sons
ISO 9000 xcertified jobshop, rebuildings to refurbers of machinery
tools and, custom pool cues and covers, K-mART CASHIER #!@ BRISTol cONN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

I have one. You unscrew that collar. Doing so pulls the chuck off the
adapter. I think it's a great idea. Can't tell you the number of
people that I know who have had the chuck come loose when only simple
tapers are used. You need a wrench that fits the holes- spanner.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

mechanized_robot wrote:
I want to replace the chuck on a King-Seeley (Craftsman) drill press
and am not sure how to go about it. This is the best set of pictures I
can find on the unit -

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2254

Above the chuck is a knurled collar w/ 2 recesses 180-degrees apart.
The chuck is a Jacobson 1/2" w/ J33 mount. Does anyone have experience
with this drill press or have a likely idea on how chuck removal would
be accomplished?

I will appreciate any guidance on this.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article .com,
"mechanized_robot" wrote:

I want to replace the chuck on a King-Seeley (Craftsman) drill press
and am not sure how to go about it. This is the best set of pictures I
can find on the unit -

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2254

Above the chuck is a knurled collar w/ 2 recesses 180-degrees apart.
The chuck is a Jacobson 1/2" w/ J33 mount. Does anyone have experience

It's "Jacobs", not Jacobson. Unless they had asian knockoffs back then.

with this drill press or have a likely idea on how chuck removal would
be accomplished?

My drill press also has a J33 taper mounted chuck. The easiest way to
get the chuck off is with a pair of J2 and another pair of J3 wedges.
Neither quite fits J33, but usually work anyway. I've never seen wedges
for J33; don't know why.

One uses the wedges in pairs, nose to nose, to force the chuck off the
spindle. The wedges provide a direct and symmetric separation force..
Prying with a prybar can work, but tends to mangle things.

The wedges are called "Drill Chuck Removal Wedges" or the like and can
be gotten from many suppliers. For instance, MSC catalog numbers
08592925 and 08592941.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mechanized_robot

Now that I understand the process, it could not be more
straightforward. Many thanks to everyone for the prompt replies. I
really appreciate that.

A quick aside on this drill press. I cannot recall how many times I
have gone to buy a drill press and have not shelled out the money
because the unit was an import POS. I started checking craigslist on a
fairly regular basis and this one came up for $100. I figured I would
dicker with the seller but when I saw the machine and how well made it
was, I handed him a Franklin and said "Thank you!". It is truly a
peach.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stephen Young

mechanized_robot wrote:
Now that I understand the process, it could not be more
straightforward. Many thanks to everyone for the prompt replies. I
really appreciate that.

A quick aside on this drill press. I cannot recall how many times I
have gone to buy a drill press and have not shelled out the money
because the unit was an import POS. I started checking craigslist on a
fairly regular basis and this one came up for $100. I figured I would
dicker with the seller but when I saw the machine and how well made it
was, I handed him a Franklin and said "Thank you!". It is truly a
peach.

I have this same press in the floor model. You're right - it's a great
press. Mine was a little cheaper though - $25.00 from a former employer.
I improved it a great deal by installing a DC motor & control.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mechanized_robot

That is a great modification. What motor controller did you use?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stephen Young

mechanized_robot wrote:
That is a great modification. What motor controller did you use?

A KB Electronics model KBIC.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

Top posted to annoy myself...

I can e-mail you (or anyone else for that matter) a PDF file showing how J33
or similar tapers are dealt with.

McMaster has J6 wedge sets that work great on J33s too.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

V8013-R

"mechanized_robot" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to replace the chuck on a King-Seeley (Craftsman) drill press
and am not sure how to go about it. This is the best set of pictures I
can find on the unit -

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2254

Above the chuck is a knurled collar w/ 2 recesses 180-degrees apart.
The chuck is a Jacobson 1/2" w/ J33 mount. Does anyone have experience
with this drill press or have a likely idea on how chuck removal would
be accomplished?

I will appreciate any guidance on this.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article fg6If.3607$lG.1502@trndny01,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

Top posted to annoy myself...

I can e-mail you (or anyone else for that matter) a PDF file showing how J33
or similar tapers are dealt with.

I'd be interested. My email is real.

McMaster has J6 wedge sets that work great on J33s too.

J6 seems awfully large for J33, unless I misunderstand the progression
of J sizes.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

I can e-mail you (or anyone else for that matter) a PDF file showing how
J33
or similar tapers are dealt with.

I'd be interested. My email is real.

It has been sent.

It is a bit specialized for my product, but shows the process in a fairly
straight forward manner. There is no such thing as a J33 wedge set that I
know of... The J6 wedges work perfectly but sometimes you have to "sharpen"
the tips if the chuck is seated close to the top of the taper.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article DfGIf.6742$lG.4071@trndny01,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

I can e-mail you (or anyone else for that matter) a PDF file showing how
J33
or similar tapers are dealt with.

I'd be interested. My email is real.

It has been sent.