Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88

Default Way Covers for milling machines

Our shop's excello bridgeport-clone milling machine is now functional
and we would like to cover the ways to prevent chips getting into the
ways and to speed cleanup. What have people used for these cover and
where have they purchased the materials? Specifically, I have seen
many people take a flap of rubber/leather and hang it off the machine
covering the top of the knee dovetails and the y-axis ways behind the
table. I am a bit confused as to how to attach the top of the flap to
the machine. Is it just pinched in a metal channel that is screwed to
the machine?
Thanks,
Woodworker88
Los Altos High School Robotics Team
www.lahsrobotics.org

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

woodworker88 wrote:
Our shop's excello bridgeport-clone milling machine is now functional
and we would like to cover the ways to prevent chips getting into the
ways and to speed cleanup. What have people used for these cover and
where have they purchased the materials? Specifically, I have seen
many people take a flap of rubber/leather and hang it off the machine
covering the top of the knee dovetails and the y-axis ways behind the
table. I am a bit confused as to how to attach the top of the flap to
the machine. Is it just pinched in a metal channel that is screwed to
the machine?

Yes, that's about it. What I'd recommend is you buy one of the $40
way cover kits from one of the machine tool vendors. They can be
trimmed pretty easily to fit machines a little smaller than the
full-size Bridgeport, or where the shape of the machine is a bit
different. You get an accordion-pleated piece for the front part
of the Y ways, and an apron-like piece that hangs in front of the
knee ways on the main column and also covers the Y ways behind
the saddle. There may be several versions of this for different
machines.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

"woodworker88" wrote in
oups.com:

www.gortite.com

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

Yes, that's about it. What I'd recommend is you buy one of the $40
way cover kits from one of the machine tool vendors. They can be
trimmed pretty easily to fit machines a little smaller than the
full-size Bridgeport, or where the shape of the machine is a bit

I have an Excello 602. Its a bit bigger than a Bridgy and the Bridgeport
covers couldn't be made to fit.

different. You get an accordion-pleated piece for the front part
of the Y ways, and an apron-like piece that hangs in front of the
knee ways on the main column and also covers the Y ways behind
the saddle. There may be several versions of this for different
machines.

I bought generic accordian style cover from Mcmaster Carr. Had to make up
custom end plates and drill/tap the base casting but the job ended up very
nice.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88

Thanks for all your advice. I have to talk with the rest of the shop
but I think I may order a set from mcmaster. We order regularly from
them and their prices aren't too high. And as Karl pointed out,
bridgeport sets may not fit the 602 I have.