Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Roy

Default OT legality of strobe lights on vehicles, plus rough ride

"Ignoramus1729" wrote in message
I bought this pickup last fall, from a nearby municipality, it has
only 35k miles on it despite baing 15 years old. They did not use it
much.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dodge350.jpg

1) about yellow strobe lights. Is it legal for a regular person to
have these lights (when they are turned off)? What about driving with
them turned on? I would presume that it is illegal. I am in IL.

I have used strobes in plow trucks for years. Red and clear in the back and
clear in the front marker. But ONLY while plowing.
With them turned off? I suppose they could be any color as long as they are
not functioning or used off road or on private property. When you have them
turned on is when the problem of color comes up. Usually red or amber in the
back and amber to the front is okay. Take a look at what the tow trucks in
you area use, or call the DMV.

2) It is a 1 ton truck and it bounces a lot, like on speedbumps and
such. Is it simply due to having strong suspension (it is a 1 ton
model), or is something wrong with it?

Trucks tend to bounce going over speed bumps.

Roy
thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
TBone

It may also have bad shocks. While the ride should be stiffer with a 1 ton,
I don't know about bouncy.

"Ignoramus1729" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:27:02 -0500, Roy wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Roy, DT, TBone, Christopher, John. I will check with my DMV. I
suppose that as long as I do not turn them on, Ishould not have a
problem.

2) It is a 1 ton truck and it bounces a lot, like on speedbumps and
such. Is it simply due to having strong suspension (it is a 1 ton
model), or is something wrong with it?

Trucks tend to bounce going over speed bumps.

I have a half ton pickup (also a dodge), but the one ton truck bounces
insanely. Isuppose it is just due to strong springs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Peter Grey

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:04:03 GMT, TBone wrote:
It may also have bad shocks. While the ride should be stiffer with a 1
ton,
I don't know about bouncy.

It is outright bouncy. I think that you have a good point about
shocks.

If you get one good hit when it hits the bump, it's the stiffer springs. If
it continues to oscillate after hitting the bump, then you have worn or
inappropriate shocks.

One ton pickup's springs are - by my buttometer - a lot stiffer than half
ton's.

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Peter Grey

"Ignoramus1729" wrote in message
If you get one good hit when it hits the bump, it's the stiffer springs.
If
it continues to oscillate after hitting the bump, then you have worn or
inappropriate shocks.

I get one very good hit when the rear hits the bump.

That's the nature of the beast, then. You can try - within reason - lower
tire pressures. That'll help some.

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Harold and Susan Vordos

[...]

Yep! I've owned several pickups---ranging from half to one ton. The one ton
trucks are sprung heavily to handle the load. You'll be pleasantly
surprised to find it rides quite nicely when you have it well loaded.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
. net...

"Ignoramus1729" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:04:03 GMT, TBone wrote:
It may also have bad shocks. While the ride should be stiffer with a 1
ton,
I don't know about bouncy.

It is outright bouncy. I think that you have a good point about
shocks.

If you get one good hit when it hits the bump, it's the stiffer springs.

If
it continues to oscillate after hitting the bump, then you have worn or
inappropriate shocks.

One ton pickup's springs are - by my buttometer - a lot stiffer than half
ton's.

Peter

I'd say your "buttometer" is working well. :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Peter Grey

One ton pickup's springs are - by my buttometer - a lot stiffer than half
ton's.

Peter

I'd say your "buttometer" is working well. :-)

Harold

That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me in weeks...

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Anthony

Ignoramus1729 wrote in
:

By my buttometer, as well. I guess that if a one ton load was in the
bed, the shock would be a lot milder. (not that I want to try it)

Toss 4 bags of concrete mix in the bed, it will ride a whole lot better.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Anthony

Ignoramus1729 wrote in news:jWdEf.73338
:

Four bags is not that much, I am surprised that you suggest that so
little extra weight would help. Not that I know anything.

That's 320 lbs. Just enough to get the springs off the 'full extended'
position. Placing them nearer to the tailgate will be more beneficial.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email