Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
TBone

Default OT legality of strobe lights on vehicles, plus rough ride

Every State and municipality for that matter is or can be different and you
need to check with them. A quick trip to the municipal building will answer
your questions. Since the municipality did not remove them, it is probably
not illegal for them to be there but I can't say what the usage rules (if
any) might apply.

"Ignoramus1729" wrote in message
I bought this pickup last fall, from a nearby municipality, it has
only 35k miles on it despite baing 15 years old. They did not use it
much.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Dodge350.jpg

1) about yellow strobe lights. Is it legal for a regular person to
have these lights (when they are turned off)? What about driving with
them turned on? I would presume that it is illegal. I am in IL.

2) It is a 1 ton truck and it bounces a lot, like on speedbumps and
such. Is it simply due to having strong suspension (it is a 1 ton
model), or is something wrong with it?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Don Bruder

In article ,
"TBone" wrote:

[...]

*IN GENERAL*, a yellow flasher is kosher anywhere, being considered
nothing more or less than a "Hey! Look out! There's a vehicle here that
you might not otherwise notice" warning. About half of the carriers at
the paper I substitute-carry for use yellow strobes/flashers. Some of
them are more or less permanent installations like a county truck or
similar, others use the "Kojak"-style bubble that mag-mounts to the roof
and plugs into the cig. lighter, then gets tossed in the back seat when
not on the route. I have yet to hear of any of them catching even the
slightest flack from anybody "official" about them, despite paper
carriers being "highly likely to be stopped" targets around here
(northern CA) because they and drunks tend to be about the only source
of boredom relief available for the cops between roughly 2 and 6 AM.

Red, blue, or white flashers, on the other hand, are (or are nearly)
universally reserved for cops, firetrucks, and ambulances, and putting
one on pretty much any other vehicle (never mind being stupid enough to
actually light it up in traffic...) is usually a quick way to get a free
overnight stay (at least) in the local greybar hotel. Green seems to be
in a "grey area", legally - Some places don't care. Other places will
jump on you with both feet.

Check with the powers that be *WHERE YOU ARE* for the answer that's
right in your case.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Steve W.

"Don Bruder" wrote in message

--

Depends a LOT on your locality. In NY strobes (or lights that flash in a
strobe pattern) are illegal regardless of color if they are used on any

For instance I am a fire police member. My vehicle can run one blue
light for use while going to the station or to a call. Once on scene I
shut down the blue light and have amber and red alternating flashers
that get turned on to warn people about the incident ahead. The ambers
are mounted in the front and both side windows the reds are in the rear
and use the factory tail lights and a set of halogen lights mounted in
the rear window.

1. No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating,
flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed
to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein.

2. Red lights and certain white lights. One or more red or combination
red and white lights, or one white light which must be a revolving,
rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving light, may be
affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle, and such lights may be
displayed on an authorized emergency vehicle when such vehicle is
engaged in an emergency operation, and upon a fire vehicle while
returning from an alarm of fire or other emergency.

3. Amber lights.
a. One or more amber lights may be affixed to a hazard vehicle,
and such a light or lights which display an amber light visible to all
approaching traffic under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance
of five hundred feet from such vehicle shall be displayed on a hazard
vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in a hazardous operation. Such
light or lights shall not be required to be displayed during daylight
hours provided at least two red flags visible from a distance of five
hundred feet are placed both in or on the front of, and to or on the
rear of the vehicle and two such flags are placed to each side of the
vehicle open to traffic. Such lights or flags need not be displayed on
the vehicle when the vehicle is operating, or parked, within a
barricaded work area and said lights or flags are displayed on the
barricade. The provisions of this subdivision shall not prohibit the
temporary affixing and display of an amber light to be used as a warning
on a disabled motor vehicle or on a motor vehicle while it is stopped on
a highway while engaged in an operation which would restrict, impede or
interfere with the normal flow of traffic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Peter Grey

"Don Bruder" wrote in message
slightest flack from anybody "official" about them, despite paper
carriers being "highly likely to be stopped" targets around here
(northern CA) because they and drunks tend to be about the only source
of boredom relief available for the cops between roughly 2 and 6 AM.

Red, blue, or white flashers, on the other hand, are (or are nearly)
universally reserved for cops, firetrucks, and ambulances, and putting
one on pretty much any other vehicle (never mind being stupid enough to
actually light it up in traffic...) is usually a quick way to get a free
overnight stay (at least) in the local greybar hotel.

A couple of years ago, I was stuck in traffic on southbound 101 going up the
hill out of Tiburon before dropping down through the tunnel and over the
Golden Gate bridge. Traffic was completely clotted and no one was going
faster than 3 MPH. I was in the left lane (not that it was doing me any
good) when I saw a car with a red light coming up behind me. I, and all the
other folks in the lane, merged into the next lane (not easy in the backup)
to let this guy through. Hmmm... An older Chevy Malibu with a red light
inside the car above his rear view mirror. Never seen a car or light set up
like that used by the cops.

I got on my cell phone and let the Highway Patrol know of my suspicions. I
stayed on the phone at the request of the dispatcher, gave her the license
plate number of the car, and told her which lane the car was in. As this
guy approached the toll plaza he turned the light off, but there were two
CHP officers standing at the toll booth. One of them stopped the guy, got
in the car with him and directed him to the parking lot, where other cops
were waiting. The other found my car, leaned in the window and thanked me.
The other cops in the parking lot hauled the driver out of the car and
cuffed him. That was the last thing I saw.

Who knows what else he had done, but it struck me that the cops take
gratuitous use of a red light pretty seriously.

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Don Bruder

In article t,
"Peter Grey" wrote:

Who knows what else he had done, but it struck me that the cops take
gratuitous use of a red light pretty seriously.

Ayup... If you ain't a cop, ambulance, or fire truck, and show red
light(s) to the front, you're effectively driving around with the
equivalent of about a 40-by-40 foot billboard strapped to your roof that
reads "C'mon, cop! I dare ya! Wassamatta? Too busy giving your K9
partner a BJ?" - And you're likely to be dealt with accordingly...

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:40:13 -0800, Don Bruder wrote:
In article t,
"Peter Grey" wrote:

Who knows what else he had done, but it struck me that the cops take
gratuitous use of a red light pretty seriously.

Ayup... If you ain't a cop, ambulance, or fire truck, and show red
light(s) to the front, you're effectively driving around with the
equivalent of about a 40-by-40 foot billboard strapped to your roof that
reads "C'mon, cop! I dare ya! Wassamatta? Too busy giving your K9
partner a BJ?" - And you're likely to be dealt with accordingly...

Eh...depends. In Wisconsin, if you've got the lights and siren, and
if they're both _on_, you _are_ an emergency vehicle, by definition.
Those same lights in Illinois might be a problem, on or off. It varies
by state at least. Galls.com might have a guide to all that crap maybe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Christopher Thompson

"Peter Grey" wrote:

Who knows what else he had done, but it struck me that the cops take
gratuitous use of a red light pretty seriously.

Ayup... If you ain't a cop, ambulance, or fire truck, and show red
light(s) to the front, you're effectively driving around with the
equivalent of about a 40-by-40 foot billboard strapped to your roof that
reads "C'mon, cop! I dare ya! Wassamatta? Too busy giving your K9
partner a BJ?" - And you're likely to be dealt with accordingly...

Eh...depends. In Wisconsin, if you've got the lights and siren, and
if they're both _on_, you _are_ an emergency vehicle, by definition.
Those same lights in Illinois might be a problem, on or off. It varies
by state at least. Galls.com might have a guide to all that crap maybe.

the question then becomes are you an authorzed emergency vehicle in valid
emergency operation. i dont care where you are you cant run like your going
to a call if your going after pizza, even if your in the pumper.

thus the reason for the emergency permit required in the state of Georgia.
--
-Chris
05 CTD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 16:25:55 -0500, Christopher Thompson wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Eh...depends. In Wisconsin, if you've got the lights and siren, and
if they're both _on_, you _are_ an emergency vehicle, by definition.

the question then becomes are you an authorzed emergency vehicle in valid
emergency operation.

Well, of course. Misuse of that sort of thing is well past "bad idea",
well into "you get what you deserve".

i dont care where you are you cant run like your going
to a call if your going after pizza, even if your in the pumper.

Yup. New guys sometimes need to be reminded of that, and the
"reasonable and prudent" clause as well. It's neither reasonable nor
prudent, for example, to go 70 through town past the grade school,
lights & siren or no; POV, or truck, or ambo.

After the first time or two they either mellow, or they don't get to
drive emergency vehicles.

thus the reason for the emergency permit required in the state of Georgia.

Here we need a letter from the chief, if a POV is being used with
lights/siren.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Christopher Thompson

wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

[...]

as well did we inorder to get the permit from the state. without that permit
if the PD wanted to they could give you a ticket or worse weither the chief
ok'd your use of lights/siren or not.