Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default math and metalworking

Be sure to take a course in economics if you can. It is a real help in
understanding a lot of things. Need convincing........Check out the
book " Freakanomics ". Easy reading about good insights can be gained.
Written by a economist.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On 28 Jan 2006 14:41:10 -0800, the renowned "
wrote:

Be sure to take a course in economics if you can. It is a real help in
understanding a lot of things. Need convincing........Check out the
book " Freakanomics ". Easy reading about good insights can be gained.
Written by a economist.

Dan

You think? All my university economics course taught me was to
distrust economists with their pseudo-scientific and
psuedo-mathematical methods.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

The Nash Equilibrium notwithstanding, of course.

Other than that, a lot of people would agree with you.

But, otoh, above and beyond whatever legitimate science/math is actually in
economics, it *is* a good jargon to learn, as it does make the effing world
go 'round--well, approximately round, at any rate.

Also socially illuminating:
For example, the very existence of the supply-demand curve (in its
traditional shape), never mind the fact that it perhaps the economic
equivalent to Thermodynamic Law, bespeaks the fact that our species is
*fundamentally* extortionist.
Supply goes down, price goes up, 'til they equilibrate--now what natural
law/property dictates dat??
GREED.
Love--or ****--thy neighbor?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote:

Be sure to take a course in economics if you can. It is a real help in
understanding a lot of things. Need convincing........Check out the
book " Freakanomics ". Easy reading about good insights can be gained.
Written by a economist.

Dan

You think? All my university economics course taught me was to
distrust economists with their pseudo-scientific and
psuedo-mathematical methods.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

wrote in message
ups.com...

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Well, I'm just genuinely curious:

Spose I'm making a part.
I know, from general principle, that the *least* amount of a part requires
makes for a cheaper part.
So I determine just how much slop I can get away with.

Spose, through consultation, trial and error, etc., I determine that the
.25
dia.pin I'm making can "tolerate" a maximum tolerance of +/-.005, but
"feels" a little better w/ +/- .003 tolerance, altho production might be a
little slower at .003.

It is now a judgment call to decide whether to go w/ .005, or .003

How would statistics, in any way, have helped me in this
determination/judgment call?

Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Well if you are really trying to decide, you probably use some
statistics to determine not just the tolerance of the pin, but also
the tolerance of the hole it fits into. Then assuming that the
distribution of the parts is Gausian, you can figure out how loose the
tolerances can be and still have an acceptable assembly rate. You
might set the tolerances so that once in say 3000 times the pin will
not work with a hole. It might be cheaper to throw away a pin once in
a while than to make closer tolerance pins.
---------------------------

Good answer--the sampling I was referring to. But...

WTF does DAT have to do with **shop math**??????

-----------------

If machinest don't need statistics, why does J & L sell so many
measuring tools with a spc output port?
------------------

Ahm thinkin for the same reason Polar sells so many utterly useless heart
rate monitors to joggers: cuz muhfugguhs think it looks cool??

-----------------------

And why does J & L sell
statistical control software?
--------------------

For bean counters in charge of production--not for home shop machinists, or
mom&pop commercial machinists. Have *yet* to meet a machinist use any of
that stuff, and I've met a number of top-notch machinists. Post to amc, if
you really want a reality check.
Sure, really really big shops will use it. But not a *job* shop w/ 10
people or less.
----------------------

Engineering isn't just designing something so it works. Any damn fool
can do that.
---------------------------

Any damn fool? You gotta be kidding, right?
--------------------------

An engineer designs it so it works and costs less.
------------------------
Costs less then what?
Sounds like you're talking about either reverse engineering (theft), or
grunt-work down the design line, *after* the *real* engineers solved the
important problems.
And not saying that there is not "real" engineering in
cost-cutting--possibly some ingenuity involved there as well.
But certainly not the same as "original design". Different types of
engineering.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Call me a statistic, maybe. But I suspect when the sage said "Technology,
without Mathematics, would only be two weeks behind", he was referring to
the math of statistics.

Bob Swinney
wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

measuring tools with a spc output port? And why does J & L sell
statistical control software?

Engineering isn't just designing something so it works. Any damn fool
can do that. An engineer designs it so it works and costs less.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message

Well if you are really trying to decide, you probably use some
statistics to determine not just the tolerance of the pin, but also
the tolerance of the hole it fits into. Then assuming that the
distribution of the parts is Gausian, you can figure out how loose the
tolerances can be and still have an acceptable assembly rate. You
might set the tolerances so that once in say 3000 times the pin will
not work with a hole. It might be cheaper to throw away a pin once in
a while than to make closer tolerance pins.

If machinest don't need statistics, why does J & L sell so many
measuring tools with a spc output port? And why does J & L sell
statistical control software?

Which is a good point at which to mention that the statistics of
manufacturing don't apply only to frequencies at which out-of-tolerance
parts appear, but more often to following trends in order to anticipate the
*time* at which a process will go out of control and start producing bad
parts. Of course, the idea is to correct things before the control limits
are reached.

And it applies whether you're sampling the parts, or doing 100% inspection.
Machinists of today, and especially of tomorrow, have to know these things.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Steve,

I don't know, it might make for some unusual sermons...

With the absense of a smiley, I assume that are thinking of a minister's
job as limited to preaching - I would submit that is perhaps the least
important thing they do, most visible yes, most important, no.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

wrote:

Be sure to take a course in economics if you can. It is a real help in
understanding a lot of things. Need convincing........Check out the
book " Freakanomics ". Easy reading about good insights can be gained.
Written by a economist.

Dan

You think? All my university economics course taught me was to
distrust economists with their pseudo-scientific and
psuedo-mathematical methods.

Keynesians??? Your point is taken, but not all economists are like
that. Dr. Sowell's "Basic Economics" is a great read, and might restore
some of your faith.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper

On 26 Jan 2006 18:48:51 -0800, "mj" wrote:

I need to take a college level math course for a Bachelors degree that
I am working on. The school does not care what it is as long as it is
college level. So...what should I take that would be useful for my
little hobby machine shop? Geometry? Trigonometry? I was going to take
a Algebra class since I sort of know that already, but I thought I
would get opinions from the group first. I've never worked with
geometry or trig before (or at least that I know of), so give me an
idea what I would need them for.

BTW, my machine shop is a mini-lathe and a mini-mill. I build 1/8 scale
military models. I am working on my first one. I am hoping to get it
done in the next couple of months. I am building a fairly simple
trailer for my first model, but I want to get more detailed models as
my skills improve.

Thanks

Mike

In light of your ministry I'd suggest Geometry.

You only get 3 guesses why...

I happened on a book about the history of numbers, haven't had time to
read it yet. Maybe you could take a course like this book is about and
it will fill your math need. The Universal History of Numbers Georges
Frah From prehistory to the Invention of the Computer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Mr. PV,
This is a good point. It appears that I forgot more about algebra than
I first thought. Those look "easy" and I could probably figure them out
through trial and error, but not a real "system".

BTW...the top x is 1.
the bottom x is 2. The y is 1.

But that is just a guess.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

I don't see how I limited their job.....
Methinks you're making too many assumptions.

Steve

Bill Schwab wrote:

Steve,

I don't know, it might make for some unusual sermons...

With the absense of a smiley, I assume that are thinking of a
minister's job as limited to preaching - I would submit that is
perhaps the least important thing they do, most visible yes, most
important, no.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On 26 Jan 2006 18:48:51 -0800, "mj"
wrote:

[...]

============================
Check and see if they have a technical or shop math class. I
used to teach one. This combined trig [mainly for using sine
bars] and lots of ratio work for sfm, tooth loads, etc.

This will most likely be on the vo-tec side of the house.

Uncle George

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
T.Alan Kraus

Ignoramus13653 wrote:
Algebra is the foundation for both geometry and trigonometry. I cannot
see how you can meaningfully learn anything in geometry and
trigonometry, without being conversant with simple algebra.

A typical algebra course touches on geometry enough to become a gentle
introduction into geometry. I would vote for definitely studying
algebra and geometry, with trig being a distant third.

Algebra and geometry are different branches of the math tree.
Algebra is of arab origin, that's why so many people suffer with it
Geometry is of greek origin, that's why it is a breeze to comprehend and
once you understand the thinking principle, you can derive all of it by
yourself and eventually understand the universe.

cheers
T.Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Bill Schwab wrote:

Steve,

I don't know, it might make for some unusual sermons...

With the absense of a smiley, I assume that are thinking of a
minister's job as limited to preaching - I would submit that is
perhaps the least important thing they do, most visible yes, most
important, no.

In that case, how does some knowledge of basic mathematics affect his
future sermons?

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I agree that the hobby machinist and the small shop machinest don't
need or use much in the way of statistics. But I think statistics
help in understanding a lot of what occurs in the world.

I am not talking about reverse engineering. But say you are designing
a intercontinental ballistic missile. Say three stages and a post
boost bus. Say roughly a lb of weight on a reentry body is equivalent
to 3 lbs on the bus, maybe 10 lbs on the third stage, 25 lbs on the
second stage, and 60 lbs on the first stage. So saving weight is
really important on the RB, but much less important on the first stage.
Any damn fool can use the lightest materials everywhere, but an
engineer will figure out how to use appropriate material on the first
stage, and spend the big bucks on the bus and the RB's. Aluminum on the
stages, thor mag on the bus? Should you use a lot of parallel and
series redundancy on just the first and second stages? How much should
you spend for hi-rel parts? How important is the timing of the release
of the RB's? Do you need timing to with a microsecond or will a
millisecond do? Which is more important, the timing of RB release, or
the accuracy of the bus attitude. How do you design this missile so it
fits in the defense department budget?

The costs less that what is costs less than the competing companies
bids. Any damn fool can design one that works, a engineer designs one
that wins the contract.

Look at Boeing and Air Bus. Aluminum or composite fuselage? 300 seats
or 400 seats. Which one costs less to build, maintain, fly. That
determines who sells the most planes.
You get the idea. That original design has to consider cost too.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Guys,
You are killing me here! LOL.
I don't know if I need to be fluent in geo or trig for preaching. I
base this on the fact that the church that I have attended for the last
five years, the pastor has NEVER given a sermon on the hypothesuse of a
triangle. But I'd still sort of like to see where this conversation is
going to go.
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

Bill Schwab wrote:

Steve,

I don't know, it might make for some unusual sermons...

With the absense of a smiley, I assume that are thinking of a
minister's job as limited to preaching - I would submit that is
perhaps the least important thing they do, most visible yes, most
important, no.

In that case, how does some knowledge of basic mathematics affect his
future sermons?

Bill

I still don't see any limitations imposed on my part, do you really see
any? I spoke of a specific aspect of a pastor's job.

It was a joke, Bill, and one that I don't see anything to take offense at.
Sorry, I don't have any good follow-ons of how sermons might be affected.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

mj wrote:

Guys,
You are killing me here! LOL.
I don't know if I need to be fluent in geo or trig for preaching. I
base this on the fact that the church that I have attended for the last
five years, the pastor has NEVER given a sermon on the hypothesuse of a
triangle. But I'd still sort of like to see where this conversation is
going to go.
Mike

Let's see, Godel's theorem basically says that there are things that are
true that you cannot prove within a given mathematical system. It seems
like this would analogize nicely into the natural world and the
supernatural (God or what have you).

Infinite series--I'm reaching a bit on this one. Some infinite series
converge to a finite result, some converge to an infinite result.
Everyone sins, but some kind of sins are too much?

Of course, the problem with these is that the folks in the congregation
who aren't asleep yet will be really confused.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 29 Jan 2006 11:32:47 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "mj"
quickly quoth:

Guys,
You are killing me here! LOL.
I don't know if I need to be fluent in geo or trig for preaching. I
base this on the fact that the church that I have attended for the last
five years, the pastor has NEVER given a sermon on the hypothesuse of a
triangle. But I'd still sort of like to see where this conversation is
going to go.

Toward Sacred Geometry, of course. vbg

--
"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

mj wrote:
Guys,
You are killing me here! LOL.
I don't know if I need to be fluent in geo or trig for preaching. I
base this on the fact that the church that I have attended for the last
five years, the pastor has NEVER given a sermon on the hypothesuse of a
triangle. But I'd still sort of like to see where this conversation is
going to go.
Mike

Given that response, you are going to be called a troll, or a fool - not
sure which, and I really don't care.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Steve,

I still don't see any limitations imposed on my part, do you really see
any? I spoke of a specific aspect of a pastor's job.

It was a joke, Bill, and one that I don't see anything to take offense at.
Sorry, I don't have any good follow-ons of how sermons might be affected.

Note that my comments were contingent on your being serious. No offense
taken on my end, and I hope there's none on yours.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Steve Smith wrote:
mj wrote:

[...]

I love it. I copied this one for future use. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Bill,
I don't believe that I am a troll. I've been around the newsgroup for a
while now and I don't think I have ever posted anything to start a
fight. I guess I've been a fool once or twice in my life, so that I am
guilty of.

I guess I was just joking around when I posted that. Sorry you took it
seriously.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Guys,
Thanks for all the advice. After reading through all of this and it was
VERY interesting reading BTW, I am probably going to take algebra again
since it has been quite awhile since I've done anything with algebra.
It appears that having a good background in algebra would help me later
if I decide I want to take geo or trig. At least that is the feeling I
am getting after reading all of this and some of the little research
that I did on the Internet.

I need to contact my advisor at school and make sure an algebra course
would fit the criteria for the degree.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

mj wrote:

Guys,
Thanks for all the advice. After reading through all of this and it was
VERY interesting reading BTW, I am probably going to take algebra again
since it has been quite awhile since I've done anything with algebra.
It appears that having a good background in algebra would help me later
if I decide I want to take geo or trig. At least that is the feeling I
am getting after reading all of this and some of the little research
that I did on the Internet.

I need to contact my advisor at school and make sure an algebra course
would fit the criteria for the degree.

Mike

It will. Almost always.

The school will also likely offer a placement exam.
Go ahead and take it.
You may do better than you think.
If not, you will know what to work on.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Bill,
I hadn't read this post when I posted my response.
No offense taken here either.
I think it was just a little misunderstanding. It is hard to get humor
across some times.
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default math and metalworking - are Mike and Steve one poster?

Hello all,

mj wrote:
Bill,
I hadn't read this post when I posted my response.
No offense taken here either.
I think it was just a little misunderstanding. It is hard to get humor
across some times.
Mike

A highly respected friend of mine is convinced that Google goofs up
group threading. That might be the problem here. It could also be a
conincidence. Finally Mike could just be being a good guy, etc.

Anyway, something about this didn't smell right to me: why did "Mike"
(the OP, right?) reply to my olive branch to "Steve", if that's what
happened? See search results below. My newsreader also sees it that
way. The early apparent missed (by me) joke was Steve's. I was also
suspicious that both of them had at times referred to subtle humor. If
Mike were serious about this, he shouldn't be joking about it. I could
understand Steve joking, but the OP joking around didn't make sense.
Mike's use of "no offense" was the kicker, and I did a quick search.

Suppose that one were trolling and stirring the broth signing as
multiple posters. It would be wise to keep the identities and
perspectives in order. Apologies if the posters are distinct and
sincere, but I leave it to the group to consider whether we indeed have
a troll (Mike=Steve) in our midst on this one.

Bill

55. Bill Schwab
Jan 29, 7:49 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: Bill Schwab - Find messages by this author
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:49:08 GMT
Subject: math and metalworking
original | Report Abuse

Steve,

I still don't see any limitations imposed on my part, do you really see
any? I spoke of a specific aspect of a pastor's job.

It was a joke, Bill, and one that I don't see anything to take

offense at.
Sorry, I don't have any good follow-ons of how sermons might be affected.

Note that my comments were contingent on your being serious. No offense
taken on my end, and I hope there's none on yours.

Bill

56. mj
Jan 30, 8:16 am show options
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clif Holland

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello all,

mj wrote:
[...]

Maybe if people would use quotes then the messages could be followed.

--

Clif

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"mj" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

When I was in gunsmith school at Yavapai Community College in Prescott, AZ,
there was a math course specificaly for the shop called tech math. It was a
combination of algebra, trig and geometry. Jr. college level, would be just
what your looking for if it is offered at your school.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

Bill Schwab wrote:

Steve,

I still don't see any limitations imposed on my part, do you really
see any? I spoke of a specific aspect of a pastor's job.

It was a joke, Bill, and one that I don't see anything to take
offense at.
Sorry, I don't have any good follow-ons of how sermons might be
affected.

Note that my comments were contingent on your being serious. No
offense taken on my end, and I hope there's none on yours.

Bill

No offense here, it is pretty easy to come to different than intended
conclusions with email.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

Bill, are you into conspiracy theories too? This is getting pretty weird.

This is Steve.
Really.

Note my email address. Do you really think an MIT graduate would be
asking questions about which intro math course to take? Of course, it
could be further obfuscation on my part...

Steve

Bill Schwab wrote:

Hello all,

mj wrote:
[...]

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

Bill, lighten up.

Steve,
who is not Mike

Bill Schwab wrote:

mj wrote:

Guys,
You are killing me here! LOL.
I don't know if I need to be fluent in geo or trig for preaching. I
base this on the fact that the church that I have attended for the last
five years, the pastor has NEVER given a sermon on the hypothesuse of a
triangle. But I'd still sort of like to see where this conversation is
going to go.
Mike

Given that response, you are going to be called a troll, or a fool -
not sure which, and I really don't care.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:58:19 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Wait" quickly quoth:

"mj" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Amazon has (what may have been) your textbook for only $154 and
change. thud

Delmar Pubs books ain't cheap, is dey?

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Steve Smith wrote:
Bill, are you into conspiracy theories too? This is getting pretty weird.

Weird? No. More like "fool me once, shame on you, ..."

This is Steve.
Really.

Note my email address. Do you really think an MIT graduate would be
asking questions about which intro math course to take? Of course, it
could be further obfuscation on my part...

As I said, just posing the question. I smell a troll here somewhere.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

wrote

When I was in gunsmith school at Yavapai Community College in Prescott,

AZ,
there was a math course specificaly for the shop called tech math. It was

combination of algebra, trig and geometry. Jr. college level, would be

just
what your looking for if it is offered at your school.

Amazon has (what may have been) your textbook for only $154 and
change. thud

Delmar Pubs books ain't cheap, is dey?

ALL textbooks seem to be overpriced. Then a slight revision is made and they
can't be sold to a later class. The best texts were used ones with the
highliter in 'em.
I never took the course. It and English and Phys. ed. were required but I
never got around to 'em. Consequently I didn't get a degree but I learned
what was important. I sort of wish I had taken the math. I get along with a
scientific calculator and Machinery's Handbook.
Tom

-