Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rashid111

Default Arc-starting on HF's $199 TIG welder & related

I know you get whatcha pay for and I am content with the capabilities
of the said welder.

It appears "scratch-to-arc" type of unit and I was wondering if the
collective knows some
better ways to start arc. Often, when trying to get arc going by
scratching, I have electrode sticking to the steel I am welding and it
is annoying. After a few sticking accidents the tip of the electrode
breaks off and it is downhill
from there. I am using Thoriated (reds) electrodes, but will try
lanthanated shortly.

BTW, I didn't know before I read it in the Miller's most excellent TIG
handbook ( http://www.millerwelds.com/education/TIGhandbook/ ) that
thoriated electrodes
are slightly radioactive .

I found that it is easier to start arc by scratching on the filler
electrodes's surface, especially when it is (copper ?) plated .

And more on this product: I recall reading here that folx were able to
weld coke (coffee?) cans with this model. I tried, for fun, welding
carbon bandsaw blade and had 0 luck . At the lowest power setting the
arc would blow a hole in the blade material (30 thou) almost
instantenously. Not sure if it
is because of high carbon content in that steel. Didn't try bimetals
yet. I silver solder then
with 0 issues, BTW.

I run 80/20 Argon/Co2 @ 15-20 cfph (will switch to pure argon as soon
as I am done with the bottle, was told @ welding store 80/20 will work
as shielding gas for both MIG & TIG ?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jgandalf

I have one of the HF TIG welders. My supplier told me the 75/25 mix was
OK. I burned electrodes like crazy, and they kept sticking to the work.
The contract weldors here at the plant said "no CO2", so I switched to
pure Ar. All of a sudden, the problems went away.

Get 100% Argon. The gas is cheaper than a case of tungsten electrodes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rashid111 wrote:

I run 80/20 Argon/Co2 @ 15-20 cfph (will switch to pure argon as soon
as I am done with the bottle, was told @ welding store 80/20 will work
as shielding gas for both MIG & TIG ?)

CO2 is inert at room temperature. At welding temperatures it is not
Inert. It is not suitable for tungsten INERT gas welding. Look at
Miller or Lincoln web sites for information. Your clerk at the welding
store may or may not know much about welding.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 25 Jan 2006 06:29:52 -0800, "rashid111" wrote:

I run 80/20 Argon/Co2 @ 15-20 cfph (will switch to pure argon as soon
as I am done with the bottle, was told @ welding store 80/20 will work
as shielding gas for both MIG & TIG ?)

Argon or argon/Helium for Tig. CO2 will erode your tungsten in short
order. Trust me..Ive tried C75 for tig cause Ive got 4 tanks of it.
It didnt work.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

CO2 isn't reactive with everything, but it is certainly not
an inert gas, even at room temperature.