Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jtaylor

Default manual for old (very) horizontal mill wanted

Brown & Sharp, No. 0.

Patent on the casting is 1896.

I did a bit of googling but didn't see anything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve

You might try searching the achieves on Tony Griffiths web site at:
www.lathes.co.uk
And some descriptive literature online.

He has copies of manual for some of the old machines for sale. His email
address is:

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jtaylor

"Steve" wrote in message
You might try searching the achieves on Tony Griffiths web site at:
www.lathes.co.uk
And some descriptive literature online.

Been there (many times, excellent site) - but no Brown & Sharp in the list.

He has copies of manual for some of the old machines for sale. His email
address is:

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mawdeeb

jtaylor wrote:
Brown & Sharp, No. 0.

Patent on the casting is 1896.

I did a bit of googling but didn't see anything.

I have a manual for the No. 2 universal which may or may not help. I can
run off a copy and send it snail mail.

Jim Vrzal
Holiday,Fl.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vince Iorio

I'm not sure, but don't think tools that old had manuals. Could be
wrong, but I have never seen one. Does anyone know for sure?

Vince

jtaylor wrote:
Brown & Sharp, No. 0.

Patent on the casting is 1896.

I did a bit of googling but didn't see anything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mawdeeb

jtaylor wrote:

Brown & Sharp, No. 0.

Patent on the casting is 1896.

I did a bit of googling but didn't see anything.

Every machine tool had some type of operators manual presented upon
delivery. They may have been typed instructions or elegant lithographed
bookletts. One copy would be kept in a master file cabinet and one or
more copies handed to the operators of the machine.

The trick is the master file cabinet fairy would clean out the files
every decade or so and flush the master copy into oblivion. Some times
snapped up by master scroungers but timing is everything.

Sometimes the machine would transition to machine dealers and the
manuals were "sometimes" passed along to the dealers file cabinet.

From there, the manuals will not see the light of day until the dealer
goes out of business and his office is auctioned off.

Then, if your lucky, the cabinets will be carefully gone through and a
kind soul who is also a pack rat will hold on to said manuals and recopy
them for poor souls who didn't get a manual with the machine they
bought at auction.

Jim Vrzal
Kind soul, pack rat, and Master scrounger
Currently running out of room in Holiday,Fl.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

jtaylor wrote:

Brown & Sharp, No. 0.

Patent on the casting is 1896.

I did a bit of googling but didn't see anything.

Every machine tool had some type of operators manual presented upon
delivery. They may have been typed instructions or elegant lithographed
bookletts. One copy would be kept in a master file cabinet and one or
more copies handed to the operators of the machine.

The trick is the master file cabinet fairy would clean out the files
every decade or so and flush the master copy into oblivion. Some times
snapped up by master scroungers but timing is everything.

Sometimes the machine would transition to machine dealers and the
manuals were "sometimes" passed along to the dealers file cabinet.

From there, the manuals will not see the light of day until the dealer
goes out of business and his office is auctioned off.

Then, if your lucky, the cabinets will be carefully gone through and a
kind soul who is also a pack rat will hold on to said manuals and recopy
them for poor souls who didn't get a manual with the machine they
bought at auction.

Jim Vrzal
Kind soul, pack rat, and Master scrounger
Currently running out of room in Holiday,Fl.

The owners manual and the Haines manual went with my '90 Lumina APV
when I gave it to my son, he asked me to keep the "virgin" set of
keys, good thing too because when it died in my driveway, I had a set
to drive it to the repair shop next day, after charging the battery
overnight.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Mawdeeb points out:

Sometimes the machine would transition to machine dealers and the
manuals were "sometimes" passed along to the dealers file cabinet.

From there, the manuals will not see the light of day until the dealer
goes out of business and his office is auctioned off.

Not always. If we had a manual arrive with a machine we would keep it,
if we had no other, and make a copy for the eventual machine purchaser.
If it was a common machine and we had other manuals we would sometimes
send the original manual along with the machine.

Then, if your lucky, the cabinets will be carefully gone through and a
kind soul who is also a pack rat will hold on to said manuals and recopy
them for poor souls who didn't get a manual with the machine they
bought at auction.

Additionally, in my experience, when machinery dealers go out of
business it's other machinery dealers who purchase the manuals; they're
quite valuable. I've seen some sold in this manner and they were
always sold as a single lot. YMMV

You might try calling around to a few large machinery dealers. If
you're lucky, and the moon is in the correct phase, etc. you might
catch someone who isn't too busy. And if you're really, really lucky
you might find one who had the time to sell you a copy. Use all your
resources: If you may have machine needs in the future be sure to
mention them and perhaps creating some customer good will will enter
the equation (?). Someone on this group may know some friendly dealers
for you to call; where are you located? I've been out of the business
a long time but if you're near Chicago?

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article wOEDf.50972$M94.8591@trnddc01, Mawdeeb says...

Then, if your lucky, the cabinets will be carefully gone through and a
kind soul who is also a pack rat will hold on to said manuals and recopy
them for poor souls who didn't get a manual with the machine they
bought at auction.

Ya know, if I were trying to do this, I know right where I would
start. Your comment about pack rat scroungers made some neurons
fire in my brain.

Try dave sobel.

Jim

please reply to: