Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Default OT has anyone done a concrete counter top?

Anyone here done or know much about the concrete counter tops?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:17:30 -0500, wayne mak wrote:
Anyone here done or know much about the concrete counter tops?

Hm, kind of a terazzo type technique? Sounds interesting. I wonder how
many of those techniques would be helpful to you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Never_Enough_Tools

"wayne mak" wrote in message
Anyone here done or know much about the concrete counter tops?

I've got some buddies that are in business doing just that....what ya need
to know ??

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred R

wayne mak wrote:
Anyone here done or know much about the concrete counter tops?

I haven't done it - yet, but there is a Web article here
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/a...counter-b.shtm
that also mentions an issue of 'Fine Homebuilding' magazine that really
got my interest up.

My wife, however, was unimpressed so it'll just have to be a concrete
.... something else.

--
Fred R
________________
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Well, I'm interested, and I finally coughed up the $35 for the *only*
book on the subject. The technique appears to be a closely-guarded
secret. Anyway, it looks like a good way to start out is by building
some concrete-topped workbenches. Ought to be a good foundation for a
lathe.
But I have not built one as yet.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

wayne mak wrote:
Anyone here done or know much about the concrete counter tops?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

I did my concrete countertop. Formed it right in place on top of the
cabinets. Wired remesh to screws in the base of the form (which stay
permanently in place, only the sides get stripped). Mixed sacrete sand-mix
in a wheelbarrow (with a bit of extra portland cement in the mix). Pigment
mixed straight in. Trowelled finish in place. I was worried about the trowel
finish, since it was the first fine concrete finish I'd tried! It wasn't
that big a deal in the end, though it went through a nasty looking stage
while I was working on it. Finished with Danish oil. We've been pretty
happy, though I would consider an epoxy finish if I was doing it again. Been
in place for four (?) years now, still looks good. The finish is sensitive
to acid (like vinegar), shrugs off heat and abrasion. Nice thing about it is
that the Danish oil refinishes pretty well if there is a spot that needs
touching up.

I have some photographs of the process I could dig out if you're curious.

Lot! of labour in the forming. Materials were cheap. Probably took a full
three work weeks, but the wrap around the sink and built in oven is pretty
complicated. If the shape of the cabinetry is simple it would be a lot less
work. And I formed in a lip that wraps the edge, which not every one seems
to do, that definitely added to the work.

Ask questions, and I'll try to answer. I don't think there *are* any
secrets. Just like any craftsmanship: think it through, visualize the steps,
take some care. I read all of my back issues of Fine Homebuilding on trowel
finishes and concrete slabs before I got started, that definitely helped.
The concrete countertop articles were also some help (though not much, since
they were configured around pouring top down and moving the cast pieces in
place, which is a very different way of doing it).

Adam Smith,
Midland, ON

wayne mak wrote:
Anyone here done or know much about the concrete counter tops?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:19:32 -0500, Adam Smith wrote:
I did my concrete countertop.

I have some photographs of the process I could dig out if you're curious.

I'd love to see that. If you don't have a webserver, I'd be happy to
put them online for you to share if you want; my email address is real.
I need to do an island, and if I can show SWMBO some cool pictures, she
might go for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:19:32 -0500, Adam Smith wrote:
I did my concrete countertop.

I have some photographs of the process I could dig out if you're curious.

I'd love to see that. If you don't have a webserver, I'd be happy to
put them online for you to share if you want; my email address is real.
I need to do an island, and if I can show SWMBO some cool pictures, she
might go for it.

Sign me up also. I have a bathroom redo that might be applicable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

Ok. I'm not in the same spot as the photographs at the moment, and I have a
nasty feeling that they may have been shot on film not digital, so I may
have to scan them. I'll be in touch in the next day or two.

Adam

"Rex B" wrote in message
Dave Hinz wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:19:32 -0500, Adam Smith wrote:
I did my concrete countertop.

I have some photographs of the process I could dig out if you're
curious.

I'd love to see that. If you don't have a webserver, I'd be happy to
put them online for you to share if you want; my email address is real.
I need to do an island, and if I can show SWMBO some cool pictures, she
might go for it.

Sign me up also. I have a bathroom redo that might be applicable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buy_Sell

I bought this book from Lee Valley Tools
by Fu-Tung Cheng on making concrete countertops.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,46096,46108

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:51:03 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Rex
B quickly quoth:

Well, I'm interested, and I finally coughed up the $35 for the *only*
book on the subject. The technique appears to be a closely-guarded
secret. Anyway, it looks like a good way to start out is by building
some concrete-topped workbenches. Ought to be a good foundation for a
lathe.
But I have not built one as yet.

$35, huh? The book goes for under $20 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...lance&n=283155
Is the secret worth $23 and change?

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

I grabbed the book from the library, I also found an eBayer that sells
supplies, it sounds like you can grind to a nice finish. I am making a
floating island (metal work is the frame) the bolted in cabinets will have a
more standard top. I MADE all the cabinets.

http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/kitchen/kitchen.htm

that shows the uppers i made and put in, the floor will be ready at the end
of the week and then the lowers go in. Its been a LONG winter of WOOD
working.

wrote:
I did my concrete countertop.

I have some photographs of the process I could dig out if you're
curious.

I'd love to see that. If you don't have a webserver, I'd be happy to
put them online for you to share if you want; my email address is real.
I need to do an island, and if I can show SWMBO some cool pictures, she
might go for it.

Sign me up also. I have a bathroom redo that might be applicable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:51:03 -0600, Rex B wrote:

Well, I'm interested, and I finally coughed up the $35 for the *only*
book on the subject.

The Fu-Tung Cheng book ?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1561584843/codesmiths-20

Actually he has (at least) two books on the subject. This one's less on
technique, but good on ideas
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156158682X/codesmiths-20

The Jeanne Huber book is more about how to buy one than how to make one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0376011602/codesmiths-20

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I saw several done on TV - maybe DIY has some info.
I want to say it was this old house.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:17:30 -0500, wayne mak wrote:

Anyone here done or know much about the concrete counter tops?

Hm, kind of a terazzo type technique? Sounds interesting. I wonder how
many of those techniques would be helpful to you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

wayne mak wrote:
Anyone here done or know much about the concrete counter tops?

I've done one in my wife's pottery studio. Pretty plain. Pictures
available if you want to see it. Lot of heavy work, no matter how you
do it.

Also, several years ago, I got the bug to do countertops in the kitchen.
I envisioned a counter cast top down with a nice half-round bullnose
on the front. I actually made a small piece using a 2" PVC pipe split
in two for the bullnose form. Looked pretty good, about 2 1/4" thick.
The piece I made was about 36" x 30" and weighed 180#. I never could
get the corners worked out to my satisfaction and was under pressure
from my wife, so I moved on to another type of counter.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Charles Spitzer

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
wayne mak wrote:
Anyone here done or know much about the concrete counter tops?

I've done one in my wife's pottery studio. Pretty plain. Pictures
available if you want to see it. Lot of heavy work, no matter how you do
it.

Also, several years ago, I got the bug to do countertops in the kitchen. I
envisioned a counter cast top down with a nice half-round bullnose on the
front. I actually made a small piece using a 2" PVC pipe split in two for
the bullnose form. Looked pretty good, about 2 1/4" thick. The piece I
made was about 36" x 30" and weighed 180#. I never could get the corners
worked out to my satisfaction and was under pressure from my wife, so I
moved on to another type of counter.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
www.powdercoatoven.4t.com

i made a throwing table for my wife's ceramics work too. rolled edge, flat
top that is smooth were design criteria. the edges look rough, so you'll
want to think about that in your planning.

you can use air or water powered tools to polish the top. calibre stone
tools has a center feed water tap air grinder using diamond pads for not too
much money. look into headstone supply places for other places.

look around on here for some tools:
http://www.calibrestonetools.com/web/home/home.html

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Concrete Bonding Agent & people who do not read directions... a Home Repair 2 October 5th 05 03:50 PM
Concrete counter top advice orangetrader Home Repair 0 November 26th 04 05:36 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM