Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

Default OT has anyone done a concrete counter top?

I did my concrete countertop. Formed it right in place on top of the
cabinets. Wired remesh to screws in the base of the form (which stay
permanently in place, only the sides get stripped). Mixed sacrete sand-mix
in a wheelbarrow (with a bit of extra portland cement in the mix). Pigment
mixed straight in. Trowelled finish in place. I was worried about the trowel
finish, since it was the first fine concrete finish I'd tried! It wasn't
that big a deal in the end, though it went through a nasty looking stage
while I was working on it. Finished with Danish oil. We've been pretty
happy, though I would consider an epoxy finish if I was doing it again. Been
in place for four (?) years now, still looks good. The finish is sensitive
to acid (like vinegar), shrugs off heat and abrasion. Nice thing about it is
that the Danish oil refinishes pretty well if there is a spot that needs
touching up.

I have some photographs of the process I could dig out if you're curious.

Lot! of labour in the forming. Materials were cheap. Probably took a full
three work weeks, but the wrap around the sink and built in oven is pretty
complicated. If the shape of the cabinetry is simple it would be a lot less
work. And I formed in a lip that wraps the edge, which not every one seems
to do, that definitely added to the work.

Ask questions, and I'll try to answer. I don't think there *are* any
secrets. Just like any craftsmanship: think it through, visualize the steps,
take some care. I read all of my back issues of Fine Homebuilding on trowel
finishes and concrete slabs before I got started, that definitely helped.
The concrete countertop articles were also some help (though not much, since
they were configured around pouring top down and moving the cast pieces in
place, which is a very different way of doing it).

Adam Smith,
Midland, ON

"Rex B" wrote in message
Well, I'm interested, and I finally coughed up the $35 for the *only* book
on the subject. The technique appears to be a closely-guarded secret.
Anyway, it looks like a good way to start out is by building some
concrete-topped workbenches. Ought to be a good foundation for a lathe.
But I have not built one as yet.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

wayne mak wrote:
Anyone here done or know much about the concrete counter tops?