Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

Default welding to a freeze plug

Will welding or brazing a fitting to a freeze plug soften it up too much
to stay put? I'm interested in some cooling modifications to an engine and
wanted to see how feasible this approach would be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:06:25 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

Will welding or brazing a fitting to a freeze plug soften it up too much
to stay put? I'm interested in some cooling modifications to an engine and
wanted to see how feasible this approach would be.

Carl
I can't answer your question directly, but what would the
consequences be if the modified freeze plug failed? Not good at best.
The newer type block heaters that pull in with a positive
bolt arangement look to be a better engineered approach,
but would require some machined fabrication. Or try it and see
what happens.

You don't specifiy what type engine your working on
but most have a NPT drain plug(s) somewhere that might
serve your purposes.

DE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

carl mciver wrote:
Will welding or brazing a fitting to a freeze plug soften it up too much
to stay put? I'm interested in some cooling modifications to an engine and
wanted to see how feasible this approach would be.

Freeze plus (more properly core plugs) are by design very soft steel. I
doubt you could get them any softer if you tried.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RDF

Carl,
If space permits, use a bulkhead AN fitting. Drill straight through it.
Grind down the back of the fitting if needed (Well just don't chop in too
close) Most freeze plugs are brass or a soft alloy as you already knew- Of
your going to try this, just use a new plug and hope for the best. It's
worth a shot... Just find the hardest plug you can.

All the best,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

"carl mciver" wrote in message
. net...
Will welding or brazing a fitting to a freeze plug soften it up too much
to stay put? I'm interested in some cooling modifications to an engine
and
wanted to see how feasible this approach would be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

carl mciver wrote:

Will welding or brazing a fitting to a freeze plug soften it up too much
to stay put?

If you modify a new one and press it in _after_ having modified it.

I'm interested in some cooling modifications to an engine and
wanted to see how feasible this approach would be.

Pay attention not to put load/momentum onto the plug, or it will come
loose.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Rex B" wrote in message
carl mciver wrote:
Will welding or brazing a fitting to a freeze plug soften it up too
much
to stay put? I'm interested in some cooling modifications to an engine
and
wanted to see how feasible this approach would be.

Freeze plus (more properly core plugs) are by design very soft steel. I
doubt you could get them any softer if you tried.

But you _might_ make them shrink enough during the cooling-off from welding
to lose their seal.

My experience has been, unless you have ALL the toys on a vehicle, most
every cooling jacket has at least one pipe plug in an unused port. Look
all-round -- you'll probably find one in a place where you can't get it out,
anyway G.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

Will welding or brazing a fitting to a freeze plug soften it up too much
to stay put? I'm interested in some cooling modifications to an engine and
wanted to see how feasible this approach would be.

That's how I get a stubborn freezeplug out (with coolant drained).
Heat center red, metal expands and is plastic but the surrounding hole
prevents it from expanding radially so it deforms some other way.
But it can and does contract radially when it cools, and out she
comes.

Fixing welding set's built-in battery charger Christopher Tidy Metalworking 13 September 9th 05 11:56 AM
Help Me Pull The Plug Fdmorrison Metalworking 39 February 9th 04 11:33 PM
Tig welding Kevin Beitz Metalworking 8 September 3rd 03 06:45 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM