Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default welding to a freeze plug

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:06:25 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

Will welding or brazing a fitting to a freeze plug soften it up too much
to stay put? I'm interested in some cooling modifications to an engine and
wanted to see how feasible this approach would be.

That's how I get a stubborn freezeplug out (with coolant drained).
Heat center red, metal expands and is plastic but the surrounding hole
prevents it from expanding radially so it deforms some other way.
But it can and does contract radially when it cools, and out she
comes.