Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

Default Something wrong with the newsgroup?

Is it just me, or is the "system" duplicating every post again, as it
was doing a week or so ago?

And also, is it just me, or is the "system" no longer nesting the threads?

Pete Stanaitis
Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:16:12 -0600, spaco wrote:
Is it just me, or is the "system" duplicating every post again, as it
was doing a week or so ago?

It's all good from here, and wasn't doubling anything last week either.

And also, is it just me, or is the "system" no longer nesting the threads?

That, sounds like a newsreader software setting on your end.

Dave Hinz
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John P.

On 20 Jan 2006 15:46:57 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:16:12 -0600, spaco wrote:
Is it just me, or is the "system" duplicating every post again, as it
was doing a week or so ago?

It's all good from here, and wasn't doubling anything last week either.

And also, is it just me, or is the "system" no longer nesting the threads?

That, sounds like a newsreader software setting on your end.

Not having any issues on this end either.

John P.

http://pozadzides.com/john/blog/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Yes, Google Groups has been having a lot of problems.

I have seen the symptoms that you have mentioned.

I am using Google to post from.

Google is aware of the problems, admits that the problems exist and
refuse to say when the problems (which are sporadic in nature) will be
fixed.

Until their stock price drops so management takes problems seriously,
expect the problems to continue.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 20 Jan 2006 08:45:33 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Yes, Google Groups has been having a lot of problems.

The good news is, for 13 bucks or so a year, anyone can get a solid
newsfeed from news.individual.net (there are other providers of course)
and be free of google's crappy interface.

Until their stock price drops so management takes problems seriously,
expect the problems to continue.

Here we have another example of somoene bitching about something they
could easily and cheaply avoid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

So Dave, having a nice day? LOL

You must be a joy to live with.

As you may have guessed, Dave has an agenda.

As for the Google Groups problems, the PROBLEM is with Google's
servers...the source of the information of Google Groups.

Other news feeds only insulate you from the sporadic service the
servers are displaying...they don't solve the real problem which Google
management deems to be low priority in face of skyrocketing stock
prices and their options.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Dave sez: " That, sounds like a newsreader software setting on your end."

And you would know that, how. . . .?

Bob Swinney

wrote:
Is it just me, or is the "system" duplicating every post again, as it
was doing a week or so ago?

It's all good from here, and wasn't doubling anything last week either.

And also, is it just me, or is the "system" no longer nesting the
threads?

Dave Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 20 Jan 2006 09:30:36 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
So Dave, having a nice day? LOL

You bet! You keep asking that.

You must be a joy to live with.
As you may have guessed, Dave has an agenda.

Yes, my agenda is to point out when people bitch about something they
could easily and cheaply fix, they're making un-needed (and unwelcome)
noise.

As for the Google Groups problems, the PROBLEM is with Google's
servers...the source of the information of Google Groups.

Yes. We've established that there is a problem.

Other news feeds only insulate you from the sporadic service the
servers are displaying...they don't solve the real problem which Google
management deems to be low priority in face of skyrocketing stock
prices and their options.

Who cares? Google is just ONE news server out there, acting as a Usenet
feed. They also happen to archive. Big deal. Get a better one. Why
do you care if google has problems or not?

It's obvious, time after time after time, that you just want to complain
about google, and choose to stay with them so you have something to
bitch about.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
xmradio

Comcast messing with Usenet access...

We are getting reports that Comcast is limiting Usenet access even to
external news servers. Comcast has a 2GB monthly cap for accessing their
internal news servers but now, it appears that port 119 traffic is blocked
after every few downloads for some users. A workaround is to configure
NewsBin to access your news server on an alternate port, if they support it.
For example, Giganews provides Usenet access on ports 23 and 80 in addition
to the standard port 119. Changing the port number in NewsBin is documented
here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Wow...that was quick...even for you Dave.

Dave apparently LIVES on Usenet based on his repeatily short
turnarounds in replying to my posts.

Dave, do you have a life other than just surfing the discussion groups?

What do you do for a day job Dave?

Based on Dave's previous polite responses, I suspect he has a
connection to Google that he is not ready to admit to.

Have nice day Dave. ;)

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 20 Jan 2006 09:52:27 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Wow...that was quick...even for you Dave.

Yawn.

(snip drivel)

Based on Dave's previous polite responses, I suspect he has a
connection to Google that he is not ready to admit to.

And "too many tools" again resorts to the "anyone who disagrees with me
must have a financial reason for doing so" rhetorical tactic. You know
what? You bore me.

plonk (that means, go ahead, have the last word, I won't see it
until you change your posting identity).

Have nice day Dave. ;)

I continue to do so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the info.

Now that Dave is finally "ignoring me" ;), we can carry on a
discussion without interference.

Why would Comcast be limiting Usenet access...I would think it would be
a low bandwidth application that they would likely ignore when tuning
their system.

The problems with Google's servers are real....confirmed by the support
staff in a wayward moment of honesty and frankness.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Robert Swinney :
wrote:
Is it just me, or is the "system" duplicating every post again, as it
was doing a week or so ago?

It's all good from here, and wasn't doubling anything last week either.

And also, is it just me, or is the "system" no longer nesting the
threads?

That, sounds like a newsreader software setting on your end.

And you would know that, how. . . .?

Quite simply, the thread nesting is something which is *done* by
the newsreader software, not the news servers, which simply provide the
headers of everything being offered. It is up to the *newsreader*
program to interpret those headers to deal with such things as
threading.

As long as the news server is passing on the "References: "
header along with the others, that is all that it needs to do. It is
then in the hands of your newsreader program to arrange those into
threads.

Unless, in your situation, a web-based package is substituting
for a real newsreader, in which case the threading *might* be done by
the web server. "Google Groups" is an example of that, and a rather
poor example in my opinion.

And -- "the system" is thousands of news servers around the
world, so even if your news server was screwed up, that does not mean
that others would see the same problems. It is not like a web site,
where there is a single system hosting it -- perhaps for the high
availability sites with a few more systems mirroring the web site
automatically.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

That, sounds like a newsreader software setting on your end.

And you would know that, how. . . .?

Um, decades of experience of understanding and administering NNTP
systems. Didn't know I had to include a link to my resume with every
informed answer I provide.

Quite simply, the thread nesting is something which is *done* by
the newsreader software, not the news servers, which simply provide the
headers of everything being offered. It is up to the *newsreader*
program to interpret those headers to deal with such things as
threading.

Wot he said, yeah.

Unless, in your situation, a web-based package is substituting
for a real newsreader, in which case the threading *might* be done by
the web server. "Google Groups" is an example of that, and a rather
poor example in my opinion.

Well, it's an example of a problem at the client side, to be sure

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

It has been occurring this past week here as well.
I get my posts 5 or 6 days late - different ID number to the item.

There must be a server site that is out of whack.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

spaco wrote:
Is it just me, or is the "system" duplicating every post again, as it
was doing a week or so ago?

And also, is it just me, or is the "system" no longer nesting the threads?

Pete Stanaitis
Pete Stanaitis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
xmradio

I got the info from newsbin...

When I run newsbin, newsbin message of the day...thats where it poped up
about comcast...I sort of doubt its correct, as I use several other
newsreaders, binary and regular...

Crosscheck of them, a few missing posts from the newsbin app, freeagent was
accurate, outlook was good, xnews good,grabit good...

http://forum.newsbin.com/

I think it was just a glitch....

xman

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the info.

Now that Dave is finally "ignoring me" ;), we can carry on a
discussion without interference.

Why would Comcast be limiting Usenet access...I would think it would be
a low bandwidth application that they would likely ignore when tuning
their system.

The problems with Google's servers are real....confirmed by the support
staff in a wayward moment of honesty and frankness.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Coresounder

wrote:

Is it just me, or is the "system" duplicating every post again, as it
was doing a week or so ago?

And also, is it just me, or is the "system" no longer nesting the threads?

Pete Stanaitis
Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------

Good question Pete!

Thanks for asking that as I've been here for a while now trying to
adjust my newsreader thinking it must be some setting I had
inadvertanly changed. I'm using Agent 3.1 but version 1.92 is showing
the same stuff also.

I seem to be getting duplicates and I cant post a reply in the proper
thread order. A reply always gets posted like a new message for me
although others seem to be able to reply to my reply.

Maybe someone will know the answer or maybe this is not the right
group to ask
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Coresounder

Nichols) wrote:

[...]

Hi Don,

Thank you for the information reply on the way threading is performed
and the way newsgroups work. I've been here suspecting that I had
messed up a setting in my newreader but after reading you post I now
think it must be an issue with a sever somewhere. I'm wondering if
these webbased servers can send out some kind of garbage that works
for them but will mess up the traditional newservers.

I've been a long time user of the Agent newsreader. I'm using a
Comcast server that as far as I know gets the newsfeed from a Giga
News server. But for about 3 weeks now things havent been the same.
Maybe what some of us are seeing is being caused by the Comcast
server.

Is there some way a user can check to see if the References: header is
in fact being passed from the server I'm connected to?

Thanks.

Bert
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Coresounder :
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:45:59 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

[ ... ]

Hi Don,

Thank you for the information reply on the way threading is performed
and the way newsgroups work. I've been here suspecting that I had
messed up a setting in my newreader but after reading you post I now
think it must be an issue with a sever somewhere. I'm wondering if
these webbased servers can send out some kind of garbage that works
for them but will mess up the traditional newservers.

If so, that should get them dropped in the bit bucket by the
first *real* news server which they hit.

I've been a long time user of the Agent newsreader. I'm using a
Comcast server that as far as I know gets the newsfeed from a Giga
News server.

You can tell that by looking at the contents of the "Path: "
header. Here is what the "Path: " header contains in your article:

216.196.98.140.MISMATCH!border1.nntp.dca.giganews. com!nntp.giganews.com!\
local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.accessus.net!ne ws.accessus.net.POSTED!not-for-mail

Note that I have folded it (and added the '\' at the point of fold. The
one nearest to the "Path: " header is the the last one on its way to me,
and the end one (not-for-mail) is just after the first entry. It looks
as though yours comes through "news.accessus.net", and then several
"giganews" systems.

The system names are separated by '!' markers.

But for about 3 weeks now things havent been the same.
Maybe what some of us are seeing is being caused by the Comcast
server.

Unlikely. Comcast is actually using giganews directly. A
nslookup of news.comcast.net returns an IP address of 216.196.97.136,
and a reverse lookup of that returns the *real* machine name:

comcast.dca.giganews.com

I think that giganews does things right.

Is there some way a user can check to see if the References: header is
in fact being passed from the server I'm connected to?

Sure -- *look* at the headers. (Presumably, Agent offers that
as an option.) Here is the one from your article as I received it:

\
rs.com

Again, I've folded an excessive line length.

The newsreader should trim off something from the end to keep it
from getting *too* long, but what is here within normal limits, I
believe.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Martin H. Eastburn :
It has been occurring this past week here as well.
I get my posts 5 or 6 days late - different ID number to the item.

There must be a server site that is out of whack.

Perhaps ten to fifteen years ago, as fidonet was being gatewayed
to usenet, there were some significant problems with some of the
gateway programs which caused similar re-posting -- with the additional
problem that it would edit the "From: " header so that it would appear
that the original poster had an account on that fidonet system as well,
and had re-posted from there. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Newsgroup trolls SteveB Home Repair 4 October 6th 05 09:10 PM
ATF Groggy Woodworking 0 August 2nd 05 10:15 AM
Warning to the newsgroup for being trashed TURTLE Home Repair 39 April 9th 05 04:49 AM
How to read a newsgroup article SteveB Home Repair 1 April 4th 05 05:42 PM
Why do messages keep vanishing from this newsgroup? [email protected] Metalworking 20 March 21st 05 03:46 PM