Default Why do messages keep vanishing from this newsgroup?

I'm reading the newsgroup using Google, and it's to my frustration that
every few days ALL of the posted threads vanish!

What gives! Is Google this screwed up? Perhaps it's time that they
paid the money and hired a few experienced professionals to run their
newsgroup operation, rather than the clueless hacks that they evidently
now employ!

Harry C.

Can you suggest a full coverage public newsgroup reader that is both
not expensive $$ and doesn't have bizarre listing/flitering of the
posted threads? (I've tried three, at prices between free and $20 per
month, but their listing sequences and threading were so very strange
that I couldn't deal with them.)

What I would prefer is a source with a news machine that provides the
equivalent of a UNIX TIN newsreader, but evidently no one is offering
this.

Harry C.

John, many of the commercial news servers available on the web provide
access by only their own newsreaders. Hence, you are stuck with the
limitations of their newsreader.

Agent sounds good, but what news server do you suggest to use it with?
(I'm using a high-speed cable connection (Comcast), which I believe is
limited to TCP/IP protocol.)

Harry C.

Ron DeBlock

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:23:49 -0800, hhc314 wrote:

Agent sounds good, but what news server do you suggest to use it with?
(I'm using a high-speed cable connection (Comcast), which I believe is
limited to TCP/IP protocol.)

Harry,

Comcast has news servers. I'm not a Comcast customer, but a quick perusal
of their website resulted in this:
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...cat=Newsgroups

They only officially support Outlook Express (typical), but they say you
can use any client. Agent is good. I use Pan under Linux. There are
others, of course.

By the way, TCP/IP is the protocol suite that connects systems on the
Internet. It is not a limitation - it is the foundation of the 'Net.
NNTP (Network News Transport Protocol) runs on top of TCP/IP, and is what
all standards-compliant news servers and news readers use.

-Ron

Mike Fields

"Ron DeBlock" wrote in message
news
[...]

At least in our area (Seattle) -- I think elsewhere also, Comcast has
switched
from their own news servers to giganews for the news server (a month or two
back if I remember correctly). And yes, TCP/IP is the life blood of the
internet - everything (well almost) rides on top of that protocol.

mikey

I also am suffering w/ the "new and improved" Google. I surf
rec.crafts.metalworking via Google during lunch at work and my employer
does not allow direct access to newsgroups. Even though the new Google
Beta sucks, the surfing speed is so much faster than using dial-up at
home.

Bob May

The "commercial" newsservers like Google do use their own reader program
because they are working through the web page protocol rather than the
newsgroup protocol. As a result, you use your regular web browser to read
the newsgroups as pages. The newsgroup protocol is different as the server
is doing a specific job of providing the posts as such to your
email/newsgroup program.
I really haven't heard of any ISP providers that don't provide access to the
newsgroup system although many suppliers don't provide all of the various
newsgroups out there. If you ISP doesn't provide for newsgroup access, it
would be interesting to know who is doing your ISP service.
I've been using the "standard" Microcrud Outlook Express for email and
newsgroup access. I leave the viewing setting to see only unread posts and
my server keeps access to older posts for about a month. Google should be
keeping all of the old posts as that was the standard for the service that
they bought for their service.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

DoN. Nichols

In article . com,
wrote:
Can you suggest a full coverage public newsgroup reader that is both
not expensive $$ and doesn't have bizarre listing/flitering of the
posted threads? (I've tried three, at prices between free and $20 per
month, but their listing sequences and threading were so very strange
that I couldn't deal with them.)

What I would prefer is a source with a news machine that provides the
equivalent of a UNIX TIN newsreader, but evidently no one is offering
this.

The newsreader is a function of your local machine, not the
machine on which the news server is running.

If you like TIN, install linux or openbsd on a partition, and
use it to access newsgroups at a real server.

And TIN *is* free, as are several other unix-based newsreaders,
including my own favorite, strn. (You may have to download it in source
code format and compile it on your system if there is not a pre-compiled
port of it somewhere, but it is *your* choice.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Problems with Newsgroup J. Russell Woodworking 7 March 15th 05 01:40 AM
Right newsgroup? Guess who Woodworking 9 October 15th 04 07:05 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 1 of 10 - General Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 April 3rd 04 12:15 PM
Friend Blames Me for House Fire indago Home Repair 47 January 14th 04 11:27 AM
How to fight Newsgroup SPAM Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 7 November 27th 03 05:23 AM