Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Default Did it Meself - mounted my 9 by 20.

Hi All,
A few days ago I posted, asking for advice on mounting my newly
acquired 9 by 20 lathe. Thank you to all who replied - gleaned much
from most answers... nice friendly bunch of people.

What I did - made a hardwood frame from 65 by 40mm timber, crosbraced,
glued and screwed. Under that, welded up a sub-frame of 1 inch square
steel tubing and bolted it to the wooden platform - worked out well,
on a glass top table, perfectly square and stable.

Got it onto the base by rigging 4 by 2's under the lathe bed between 2
benches, with a crowbar, gradually jacked it up with blocks of wood
until I could drop off the original packing crate bottom, bolted on the
new base and chip tray. Kept on jacking it up until it was just above
the level of the bench, then walked it across with the crowbar - the
steel subframe acted as skids, so no ripping of the bench.

I am real pleased with meself. A minor triumph - I didnt break
anything, or injur meself.

Now, all I have to do is figure out how to set it up properly, and use
it. A group member here has kindly offered to wander over next week and
give me a tutorial.

next project - get the companion milling machine set up......

Might have a beer first....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

next project - get the companion milling machine set up......

Might have a beer first....

Take a 6-pack and put a chair in front of your lathe. Open the first
can, cheer your lathe with a beer. Empty the first can. Have a warm
(even if she is cold, it will feel warm) embrace with your lathe. Empty
the other 5 cans and do some TLC with your lathe. She will always do
what you want here to do and you will have _lots_ of fun with here.
If you don't respect here, she will respond with chatter, noise,
breaking parts, dull bits and bad accuracy.

Welcome to the club!

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models