Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default Met my Match - (Double Flare Disaster)

As a matter of fact, with the first car I ever
owned* I didn't need to
worry about burst brake lines.

It was a Ford Model A from the thirties, and had
four wheel mechanical brakes. It was also the
easiest damn car to work on I ever had, you
could do practically everything with just an
adjustable wrench, a screwdriver and sometimes a
BFH.

Jeff

I Had a 29 Chev when I was a kid. The braking
system was mechanical on it as well. It was always
interesting when you hit the brakes. The only
direction it wouldn't head for was straight ahead!

Tom

* Slight mistatement, I actually only owned half
of it, my high school buddy Pete owned the other
half. AFAICR my half was the one which needed
fixin' by me and his half as the one he did
unmentionable things to girls in while "parking"
at Inspiration Point in San Francisco.

Thanks for the mammaries...

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"Truth exists; only falsehood has to be
invented."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:13:58 +1100, "Tom Miller"
wrote:

As a matter of fact, with the first car I ever
owned* I didn't need to
worry about burst brake lines.

It was a Ford Model A from the thirties, and had
four wheel mechanical brakes. It was also the
easiest damn car to work on I ever had, you
could do practically everything with just an
adjustable wrench, a screwdriver and sometimes a
BFH.

Jeff

I Had a 29 Chev when I was a kid. The braking
system was mechanical on it as well. It was always
interesting when you hit the brakes. The only
direction it wouldn't head for was straight ahead!

That was my VW. At 30 or above, hang on for deal life and jab the
brakes to see which way it was going, then lean on them.

Tom

* Slight mistatement, I actually only owned half
of it, my high school buddy Pete owned the other
half. AFAICR my half was the one which needed
fixin' by me and his half as the one he did
unmentionable things to girls in while "parking"
at Inspiration Point in San Francisco.

Thanks for the mammaries...

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"Truth exists; only falsehood has to be
invented."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

wrote:

As a matter of fact, with the first car I ever
owned* I didn't need to
worry about burst brake lines.

It was a Ford Model A from the thirties, and had
four wheel mechanical brakes. It was also the
easiest damn car to work on I ever had, you
could do practically everything with just an
adjustable wrench, a screwdriver and sometimes a
BFH.

Jeff

I Had a 29 Chev when I was a kid. The braking
system was mechanical on it as well. It was always
interesting when you hit the brakes. The only
direction it wouldn't head for was straight ahead!

That was my VW. At 30 or above, hang on for deal life and jab the
brakes to see which way it was going, then lean on them.

My 1950 Austin had hydraulic front/mechanical rear brakes, and since
you never hit them hard enough to move the mechanicals if you lost
hydraulics, the only way to stop was to jamb the tranny into two gears
at once - either first and third, or second and fourth possibly
including reverse. If you stopped on a hill this way, you either had
someone push to relieve the pressure, or removed the top of the
gearbox and pounded the gears out of engagement.
Sometimes I wonder how any of us ever survived into adultery.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 03:54:34 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

This may sound like a silly question, but why is he using inch sized
fittings on a metric car? Isn't everything metric, including the tubing and
fittings?

Try a mid-80s Range Rover. The brake flexible hoses have metric on one
end, imperial on the other.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On 14 Jan 2006 09:23:45 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

Copper is illegal on brake systems.

Except in most of Europe, where it's pretty much standard for
after-market replacement brake plumbing. The biggest cause of fractured
brake lines is hand-flared steel pipe where a nick has formed at the
base of the flare, giving an obvious stress riser.

We also use proprietary "Kunifer" brake lines, a 3 layer (copper,
nickel, steel) laminate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
badaztek

Default funny what you find in PA - (Double Flare Disaster)

Came across an ad for an old chevy in one of those local free used car
ads booklets ,and this is what caught my eye this is located at Krall's
used cars in Jonestown ,PA if anyone is interested,
1930 Chevrolet four door sedan straight 6 ,3 spd ,only 30,000 miles,wire
wheels ,absolutely all original,perfect interior !
the price is 10,900 firm .
Now you dont see these on a used car lot anymore :-)