Junior Member

Default AIRCO AC/DC Helielder V

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this welder. I haven't taken delivery of it and I am pretty anxious to get some talks with (possibly) a similar user. Thanks for you help.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 06:14:22 +0000, hd_74al
wrote:

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this welder. I haven't taken
delivery of it and I am pretty anxious to get some talks with
(possibly) a similar user. Thanks for you help.

That one may...may have been made by Miller and rebadged.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Junior Member

Ned: I have taken possession of the welder and when I have done some research I find it was made in 1988. I have taken the panels off and find that there is a "blown" 470uf63v Nichicon axial capacitor on the Interface Board. ESAB told me to go to ARC-Products for a new board. ARC Products say that it is too new that they do not have a rebuild exchange board for this welder. Well, I guess I am on my own. I can get a new capacitor, and I can rebuild the Circuit Board. I will have to solder the burnt sections of the electrical grid with wire. Usually a blown capacitor is caused by something. Do you or anyone know what the capacitor controls so that I can check for a problem. Thanks for any help.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...

Ned Simmons Wrote:

Lots of Airco welders are Millers, especially the old ABPs, but this
particular one is an Esab. I own one that I picked up cheap when it
was
nearly new because someone apparently liked their HF to jump at least
an
inch or two. The points were opened up way beyond the spec and the
excess HF had fried a $.05 diode on the control board.

Ned Simmons

Ned: I have taken possession of the welder and when I have done some
research I find it was made in 1988. I have taken the panels off and
find that there is a "blown" 470uf63v Nichicon axial capacitor on the
Interface Board. ESAB told me to go to ARC-Products for a new board.
ARC Products say that it is too new that they do not have a rebuild
exchange board for this welder. Well, I guess I am on my own. I can get
a new capacitor, and I can rebuild the Circuit Board. I will have to
solder the burnt sections of the electrical grid with wire. Usually a
blown capacitor is caused by something. Do you or anyone know what the
capacitor controls so that I can check for a problem. Thanks for any
help.

That's about the same age as mine. Rebuilt boards were available when I
got it in the early 90s. The main control board right behind the front
panel near the top of the machine, which was where my problem lay, was
less than $100 from a local welding supply that does repairs. In the
process of zeroing in on the problem I repaired the board, so never
actually purchased one.

Have you inquired at a shop that actually repairs welders?

Ned Simmons

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Simmons
In article ,
says...

Ned Simmons Wrote:

[...]

Ned: I live in a location that does not repair welders. This is were I am at. ESAB have indicated that they do not have any repair parts for these machines, so I am on my own. The number on the interface Board (larger of the two boards) has a number 1372-5260 rev3. There is a blown Nichicon axial capacitor (470uf63v). The capacitor has melted some of the circuit grids on the board (must have got very hot). I have ordered a new capacitor and I am in the process of grinding the burnt debris from the board and building it up with epoxy. Once this is done I will solder the new capacitor onto the board and then put jumpers to reconnect the destroyed circuit grids.

The rest of the board look to be in good shape and there are loose wires on any of the transformers. Do you have any ideas what may have caused the capacitor to blow out or what this (small of the axial capacitors) does? The post flow was also taken off this machine for some reason, so would that affect the board function? I can post (I think) pictures or send these directly to you for comment. It is truly amasing that you seem to be the only other person that has this particular make and model. Either that or all the others are trouble free. Thanks for your help.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:20:03 +0000, hd_74al
wrote:

Ned Simmons Wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

Call Dennis at Arco Welding Repair. Tell him Gunner referred you.
(this gets me access to the bone yard G)

http://www.arcowelder.com/

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3