Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default AIRCO AC/DC Helielder V

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 05:20:03 +0000, hd_74al
wrote:

Ned Simmons Wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 06:14:22 +0000, hd_74al
wrote:

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this welder. I haven't taken
delivery of it and I am pretty anxious to get some talks with
(possibly) a similar user. Thanks for you help.

That one may...may have been made by Miller and rebadged.

Lots of Airco welders are Millers, especially the old ABPs, but this
particular one is an Esab. I own one that I picked up cheap when it
was
nearly new because someone apparently liked their HF to jump at least
an
inch or two. The points were opened up way beyond the spec and the
excess HF had fried a $.05 diode on the control board.

Ned Simmons

Ned: I have taken possession of the welder and when I have done some
research I find it was made in 1988. I have taken the panels off and
find that there is a "blown" 470uf63v Nichicon axial capacitor on the
Interface Board. ESAB told me to go to ARC-Products for a new board.
ARC Products say that it is too new that they do not have a rebuild
exchange board for this welder. Well, I guess I am on my own. I can get
a new capacitor, and I can rebuild the Circuit Board. I will have to
solder the burnt sections of the electrical grid with wire. Usually a
blown capacitor is caused by something. Do you or anyone know what the
capacitor controls so that I can check for a problem. Thanks for any
help.

Call Dennis at Arco Welding Repair. Tell him Gunner referred you.
(this gets me access to the bone yard G)

http://www.arcowelder.com/

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3