Dennis

Default Welding Smoke Questing

Greetings,
I will pre-warn everyone that I am new to the metal industry. Recently I
was reading Popular Mechanics and found an ad for a CNC Plasma. I purchased
a CNC plasma machine (small hobby/second business) but is wondering how to
remove the cutting smoke from my 24' by 24' garage without just pumping it
outside into my back ally? My CNC plasma already has a water table which
helps, will those portable home depote dust collectors work? Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Dennis

Anthony

"Dennis" wrote in news:VzNIb.888546$6C4.95854@pd7tw1no:

Greetings,
I will pre-warn everyone that I am new to the metal industry.
Recently I was reading Popular Mechanics and found an ad for a CNC
Plasma. I purchased a CNC plasma machine (small hobby/second
business) but is wondering how to remove the cutting smoke from my 24'
by 24' garage without just pumping it outside into my back ally? My
CNC plasma already has a water table which helps, will those portable
home depote dust collectors work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dennis

Smoke Eater,
It is a commercially available unit that will filter out the smoke in the
shop. They have them sized for just about any work area.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
AL

Companies like Nederman make fume extractors specifically designed for
welding fumes. But they are very expensive. Have a look here for some
ideas:

http://www.nedermanusa.com

"Dennis" wrote in message
Greetings,
I will pre-warn everyone that I am new to the metal industry. Recently I
was reading Popular Mechanics and found an ad for a CNC Plasma. I

purchased
a CNC plasma machine (small hobby/second business) but is wondering how to
remove the cutting smoke from my 24' by 24' garage without just pumping it
outside into my back ally? My CNC plasma already has a water table which
helps, will those portable home depote dust collectors work? Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Dennis

Sven

I don't think one can successfully use a dust collector to capture the dust
and smoke from a CNC plasma cutter used for any length of time. My solution
was to build a room to enclose the table and use an exhaust fan to pull the
dust outside. I also built a skirt around the table so all the air the fan
is moving is pulled through the table. My room is airtight enough to pull a
good vacuum as to contain nearly the dust. I also use a water tray under the
table but it is a pain to lose small parts in the murky water. I can turn
the exhaust fan off about 30-45 seconds after I complete a cut.
The health problems associated with the dust created by a plasma cutter are
a good thing to shield your self from. If you have the machine out in the
shop it won't be long and everything you have will be covered with a layer
of fine, nasty, black dust from hell. Here is a link to a photo of my setup.

Steve Peterson
Kettle River Ironworks

http://tinyurl.com/ytht4

And another to the PlasmaCam Info group

"Dennis" wrote in message
Greetings,
I will pre-warn everyone that I am new to the metal industry. Recently I
was reading Popular Mechanics and found an ad for a CNC Plasma. I

purchased
a CNC plasma machine (small hobby/second business) but is wondering how to
remove the cutting smoke from my 24' by 24' garage without just pumping it
outside into my back ally? My CNC plasma already has a water table which
helps, will those portable home depote dust collectors work? Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Dennis

Gunner

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 07:09:10 GMT, Anthony
wrote:

"Dennis" wrote in news:VzNIb.888546$6C4.95854@pd7tw1no:

Greetings,
I will pre-warn everyone that I am new to the metal industry.
Recently I was reading Popular Mechanics and found an ad for a CNC
Plasma. I purchased a CNC plasma machine (small hobby/second
business) but is wondering how to remove the cutting smoke from my 24'
by 24' garage without just pumping it outside into my back ally? My
CNC plasma already has a water table which helps, will those portable
home depote dust collectors work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dennis

Smoke Eater,
It is a commercially available unit that will filter out the smoke in the
shop. They have them sized for just about any work area.

Call around to various machine tool brokers. Smog Hogs etc are
generally a drug on the market at the moment, you might get a decent
used one pretty cheap. Lots of machine shops went tits up over the
last couple years.....

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

steamer

--Just got the annual 2004 Handbook from Welding Design &
Fabrication magazine. In it they talk about plasma cutting on a "water
table". Not sure what one looks like, but they say this can considerably
reduces smoke.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Another happy ****** living
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : in the Golden Age of Porno...
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , steamer
wrote:

--Just got the annual 2004 Handbook from Welding Design &
Fabrication magazine. In it they talk about plasma cutting on a "water
table". Not sure what one looks like, but they say this can considerably
reduces smoke.

They are very common for big plasma cutters.
Many run completely submerged.

Four questions form novice to welding mongke Metalworking 7 January 1st 04 04:12 AM
tig welding problems drew j. Metalworking 4 November 25th 03 09:48 PM
Q: Welding Magnesium tony Metalworking 10 November 6th 03 10:31 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM