Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? XCV

This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
D Murphy

"R.H." wrote in news:WJNsf.91395$lh.53041
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

545 - I think it's called a Pedometer. It measures how far you've walked.

546 - Telephone stand.

547 - Drive-in movie speaker.

548 - A bellows.

549 - Looks familiar but can't place it. Something to do with concrete
forms?

550 - No clue.

--

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jon Danniken

"R.H." wrote:
This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

545 - Pedometer
546 - ?
547 - Microphone
548 - Bellows
549 - ?
550 - ?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , R.H.
wrote:

This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

545: Wheel from a pedometer for measuring distance.
546: for holding bunches of bananas?
547: Microphone
548: end of a bellows
549: A wheel or pulley puller of some type
550: ??? A marking device of some kind?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:10:14 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

549 Screw for securing a workpiece to the bench used
in woodcarving. Fits up from underneath.

550 Meat tenderizer/tester

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:10:14 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

That hit map of the world is cool, saved it for future use. How many
places do you post What is it? too?

Looks like drive ins really are going the way of the past.

SW metalworking
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
LDC

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:10:14 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

548 Bellows that have been repaired by replacing the original nozzle with a
garden hose nozzle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Lew Hartswick

R.H. wrote:
This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

A very intresting use for the part on 548. :-)
That is a "garden hose" high velocity nozzle but used
on a bellows (by the looks of it). Must be some home
made device.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

545. Counts how many pedestrians you run over.
546. Hint: John Holmes.
547. Robot rat.
548. Device to inflate cartoon characters and make them float away.
549. Superseded by Heimlich Maneuver.
550. Device to tickle people through their calluses.

539. Dork beer mug.
540. Hole storage box.
541. Air flattener.
542. Japanese traffic signs.
543. Aquaman's sex toy.
544. Failed prototype salad spinner.

Posted from rcm in leu of going to work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again, and hoping
that it gets properly posted this time, unlike the previous two tries.

545) Pedometer -- counts steps and displays them in units of
miles based on stride length.

546) To hold fireplace materials, perhaps?

547) Speaker from a drive-in theatre. Volume control knob is
long gone -- perhaps broken off the shaft.
The hook on the back keeps it in the window of the car.

548) Nozzle of a fireplace bellows. A rather nice looking one,
at that.

549) Hmm ... not sure why the end is so sharp. It is obviously
designed for a wrench to grip the square at the top to tighten
it. I suspect that the two square eyes on the casting link to
arms which apply leverage to clamp something as the screw is
advanced -- but what is being held is not clear. I guess that
I will have to wait for someone who has seen one in service to
identify it.

550) Perhaps for perforating the soil around a potted plant? That
seems within the capabilities of the spring as described.

Now to see what others have guessed -- after making sure that
the article really gets posted. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
SteveF

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

546 - Don't know for sure since it isn't banged up but it looks like the
piece of furniture my farrier uses. Put the horse's hoof on the top to
steady it for filing and trimming up and the small steel plate below is for
pounding the shoe narrower until it fits.

547 - There's a memory jogger. Speaker from a drive-in.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
This week's photos have just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

547. A speaker from an old drive in movie
548. Fireplace bellows with a "driveway sweeper" hose nozzle attached.

From RCM
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
High Score

549 is a carver's screw - the sharp end screws into the piece being carved
and the other end is fixed to the bench with the wingnut.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Steve W.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
rvers.com...
According to R.H. :
This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again, and hoping
that it gets properly posted this time, unlike the previous two tries.

545) Pedometer -- counts steps and displays them in units of
miles based on stride length.

546) To hold fireplace materials, perhaps?

547) Speaker from a drive-in theatre. Volume control knob is
long gone -- perhaps broken off the shaft.
The hook on the back keeps it in the window of the car.

Now a collectable item since many drive ins have switched to radio
broadcast now.

548) Nozzle of a fireplace bellows. A rather nice looking one,
at that.

looks a lot like the new ones sold at Wal~Mart, made out of cheap wood,
fake leather and a hose nozzle.

549) Hmm ... not sure why the end is so sharp. It is obviously
designed for a wrench to grip the square at the top to tighten
it. I suspect that the two square eyes on the casting link to
arms which apply leverage to clamp something as the screw is
advanced -- but what is being held is not clear. I guess that
I will have to wait for someone who has seen one in service to
identify it.

550) Perhaps for perforating the soil around a potted plant? That
seems within the capabilities of the spring as described.

Now to see what others have guessed -- after making sure that
the article really gets posted. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Buddy Matlosz

546 - Michael Jackson's barstool.

B.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mike Young

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote in message
546 - Michael Jackson's barstool.

Missing its corkscrew.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

#549 does look a lot like a woodcarver's screw
http://tinyurl.com/d6wpn but not quite. I'm not convinced...

--humunculus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

Umm, NOW I am... ;-)
http://tinyurl.com/ba2zq

--humunculus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

#546 looks like it was built as a walker for gradma, that carried her
books and a little tabletop for her tea once she found a place to sit.

--humunculus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Five of the six have been correctly answered, not sure about the last one:

545. Pedometer

546. Telephone stand

547. Drive-in movie speaker

548. Fireplace bellows

549. Woodcarver's screw

550. Haven't been able to verify any of the guesses.

A few new photos and links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan97.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R.H.

That hit map of the world is cool, saved it for future use. How many
places do you post What is it? too?

I post links to my site on rec.puzzles, rec.crafts.metalworking and
rec.woodworking, but I occasionally get referrals from other pages,
some of which can be seen on my "Links" page if you look in my profile.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"humunculus" wrote in message
ups.com...
Umm, NOW I am... ;-)
http://tinyurl.com/ba2zq

--humunculus

Thanks for the link.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Alexander Thesoso

550 I'm surprised nobody got this yet.

It is an Ice Crusher / Ice-Pick. You put a few ice cubes in a 1-pint pyrex
measuring cup and smash them into crushed ice. The impact when the handle
slams down to its limit breaks the ice.

It works, but has a flaw... Tends to chip off ground glass from the bottom
of the cup.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

548) Nozzle of a fireplace bellows. A rather nice looking one,
at that.

looks a lot like the new ones sold at Wal~Mart, made out of cheap wood,
fake leather and a hose nozzle.

You're right about it being new, but I'm not sure if it's from Wal-Mart.
This one was priced $65 at the antique mall and was sold yesterday for that
amount minus 10%, so if it is a cheap one, somebody made a nice profit.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Alexander Thesoso" wrote in message
newsMhtf.80$Z74.60@trndny06...
550 I'm surprised nobody got this yet.

It is an Ice Crusher / Ice-Pick. You put a few ice cubes in a 1-pint

pyrex
measuring cup and smash them into crushed ice. The impact when the handle
slams down to its limit breaks the ice.

It works, but has a flaw... Tends to chip off ground glass from the bottom
of the cup.

I think this is the most likely answer, I thought that it was an ice chipper
when I first saw it but still don't see what the value of the spring is,
seems as though it would work just as well without it.

A few minutes ago I found a similar tool he

http://pages.neeleysantiques.us/cgi-...n&itemNo=k-116

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Virgil

In article pMhtf.80$Z74.60@trndny06,
"Alexander Thesoso" wrote:

550 I'm surprised nobody got this yet.

It is an Ice Crusher / Ice-Pick. You put a few ice cubes in a 1-pint pyrex
measuring cup and smash them into crushed ice. The impact when the handle
slams down to its limit breaks the ice.

It works, but has a flaw... Tends to chip off ground glass from the bottom
of the cup.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
This week's photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

My grandmother, who still had an icebox with great blocks of ice
delivered twice a week, used something very like this to chip off ice
for cold drinks and the like.

I don't recall whether it slid up into the handle in the way you
describe, but it has been over 60 years since I last saw it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:54:37 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

A few minutes ago I found a similar tool he

http://pages.neeleysantiques.us/cgi-...n&itemNo=k-116

Note that they put a question mark after the description, so they are
also just guessing. There is still no definite answer. The ice-pick
doesn't wash. It would be a possibility if there was no spring ...but
there is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Unknown

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:47:32 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

,;According to R.H. :
,; This week's photos have just been posted:
,;
,;
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
,;
,; O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again, and hoping
,;that it gets properly posted this time, unlike the previous two tries.
,;
,;545) Pedometer -- counts steps and displays them in units of
,; miles based on stride length.

For a little more detail...Yes it is a pedometer but it was one of
those gimmicks the old radio shows used to entice listeners. In this
case Jack Armstrong (the All-American Boy) was a long running radio
serial before the days of TV. He sold Wheaties well at least the
sponsor was Wheaties.

Other programs of the time had their magic decoding rings, badges,
etc.. E.g. the Orphan Annie show had a decoding badge and at the end
of each program those who had bought their Ovaltine and sent in the
seal could decode a secret message with the badge key that gave a clue
about the next program.

I had one of those pedometers as a youngster but suspect it was thrown
out long ago.

You guys are all too young.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

Try this. Its not the same, but very similar:
http://tinyurl.com/d8feh

I think its pretty clear that its an ice chopper, to crush ice in a
glass without busting the glass up.

--humunculus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Unknown :
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:47:32 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

,;According to R.H. :
,; This week's photos have just been posted:
,;
,;
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
,;
,; O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again, and hoping
,;that it gets properly posted this time, unlike the previous two tries.
,;
,;545) Pedometer -- counts steps and displays them in units of
,; miles based on stride length.

For a little more detail...Yes it is a pedometer but it was one of
those gimmicks the old radio shows used to entice listeners. In this
case Jack Armstrong (the All-American Boy) was a long running radio
serial before the days of TV. He sold Wheaties well at least the
sponsor was Wheaties.

O.K.

Other programs of the time had their magic decoding rings, badges,
etc.. E.g. the Orphan Annie show had a decoding badge and at the end
of each program those who had bought their Ovaltine and sent in the
seal could decode a secret message with the badge key that gave a clue
about the next program.

Yes -- there were those (with the "secret message" often pushing
the sponsor's product.

Also -- the "Sky King" radio show had a "television ring" (or
was it a bracelet) which had a magnifier in it, and it came with some
cut-to-size pieces of proof paper, which could be used with sunlight to
contact-print negatives. I used some negatives of my own in addition to
the ones which came with the product.

I had one of those pedometers as a youngster but suspect it was thrown
out long ago.

I never had one -- but I recognized it at least.

You guys are all too young.

I don't know -- I would rather like to be some twenty or forty
years younger than I am at present. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"humunculus" wrote in message
ps.com...
Try this. Its not the same, but very similar:
http://tinyurl.com/d8feh

I think its pretty clear that its an ice chopper, to crush ice in a
glass without busting the glass up.

--humunculus

Thanks, that's a good link, I agree that ice chopper is the probable answer.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

Then there's this one:
http://tinyurl.com/b5xtm

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

Wow, I think somebody got scammed. Those are furniture tacks being used
to hold on the naugahyde, and the tip is definately from a hose
fitting: see http://tinyurl.com/dh73r.

The bellows is similar to this one
http://www.chipcarving.com/bellows.htm but not as well made. I don't
think there's any way that the original is an antique.

--humunculus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Guess who

On 31 Dec 2005 02:56:58 -0800, "humunculus"
wrote:

Then there's this one:
http://tinyurl.com/b5xtm

Well, that seems to be the general concensus. I'd still like to know
how much ice it would chop with the spring absorbing much of the
energy. Also, why 5 points, and not just one. If I wanted that sort
of ice, I'd use an ice crusher, also available at the time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Alexander Thesoso

500 Is an Ice crusher. I purchased mine somewhere around 40-45 years ago.

It fills the niche of making enough crushed ice for one drink (at a time).

It works fairly easily, with the impact when the handle bottoms-out doing
the cracking.

The spring gives a more positive and rapid return than relying on gravity.

The multiple points result in a fast action. The are hard steel.

As I said earlier, I stopped using mine when I realized that, along with the
ice, I was drinking small chips of ground-glass chipped off of the bottom of
the container.

I now use a hand-squeeze cast-aluminum single-cube ice crusher. I keep it
in the freezer, so it doesn't melt too much ice when I use it.

news
wrote:

Then there's this one:
http://tinyurl.com/b5xtm

Well, that seems to be the general concensus. I'd still like to know
how much ice it would chop with the spring absorbing much of the
energy. Also, why 5 points, and not just one. If I wanted that sort
of ice, I'd use an ice crusher, also available at the time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
CW

We have a place in Maine that has nothing but fireplace heat. We have a
bellows that has been in constant use for near 100 years (the place has been
in the family since my grandparents). It has a brass nozzle (but doesn't
look like a hose nozzle) and the leather is secured to the wood with
furniture tacks like this one.
"humunculus" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wow, I think somebody got scammed. Those are furniture tacks being used
to hold on the naugahyde, and the tip is definately from a hose
fitting: see http://tinyurl.com/dh73r.

The bellows is similar to this one
http://www.chipcarving.com/bellows.htm but not as well made. I don't
think there's any way that the original is an antique.

--humunculus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to CW :

[ ... ]

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
rvers.com...
549) Hmm ... not sure why the end is so sharp. It is obviously
designed for a wrench to grip the square at the top to tighten
it.

It's a carver's screw. Check the Rockler catalog.

I don't know Rockler. May I guess that you are posting from
rec.woodworking? I'm posting from rec.crafts.metalworking instead, and
we tend to use a different set of catalogs. :-)

I might have come up with a better guess if it had been clear
that the sharp end was threaded.

I just went and re-downloaded it, and I see that even when I
zoom into the image, the jpeg compression loses too much detail for me
to see the threads. The photos in one of the sites pointed to by others
did show the threads, which changed my perception of it.

It really needed a closeup of the sharp end, as well as the end
with the square.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564