Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Alexander Thesoso

Default What is it? XCV

500 Is an Ice crusher. I purchased mine somewhere around 40-45 years ago.

It fills the niche of making enough crushed ice for one drink (at a time).

It works fairly easily, with the impact when the handle bottoms-out doing
the cracking.

The spring gives a more positive and rapid return than relying on gravity.

The multiple points result in a fast action. The are hard steel.

As I said earlier, I stopped using mine when I realized that, along with the
ice, I was drinking small chips of ground-glass chipped off of the bottom of
the container.

I now use a hand-squeeze cast-aluminum single-cube ice crusher. I keep it
in the freezer, so it doesn't melt too much ice when I use it.

"Guess who" wrote in message
news
On 31 Dec 2005 02:56:58 -0800, "humunculus"
wrote:

Then there's this one:
http://tinyurl.com/b5xtm

Well, that seems to be the general concensus. I'd still like to know
how much ice it would chop with the spring absorbing much of the
energy. Also, why 5 points, and not just one. If I wanted that sort
of ice, I'd use an ice crusher, also available at the time.