Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

Default ANSI CODE B7-1, exception for grinding on side of wheel

Hello, I am a newbie here but not new to NG. I am trying to sharpen a
woodturning skew (looks like a chisel ground @ 45 degree angle or so. MFG.
says hollow grinding not suitable for this tool. I read on a new grinding
wheel I purchased that there is an exception for not grinding on the side of
the wheel in ansi code b7-1. I did a google, yahoo, you name it search and
just got the same reference and/or a website to purchase this code book for
$125. Hoping some of you guys might have a clue what they are talking about.
In the mean while I will hollow grind it to keep from having a grinding
wheel removed from my chest @ the hospital. :-) Thanks in advance.
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hello, I am a newbie here but not new to NG. I am trying to sharpen a
woodturning skew (looks like a chisel ground @ 45 degree angle or so. MFG.
says hollow grinding not suitable for this tool. I read on a new grinding
wheel I purchased that there is an exception for not grinding on the side

of
the wheel in ansi code b7-1. I did a google, yahoo, you name it search and
just got the same reference and/or a website to purchase this code book

for
$125. Hoping some of you guys might have a clue what they are talking

about.
In the mean while I will hollow grind it to keep from having a grinding
wheel removed from my chest @ the hospital. :-) Thanks in advance.
Lyndell

I don't have a clue what the code may be, but grinding on the side of a
wheel is perfectly acceptable if you use your head (and I don't mean against
the wheel). A grinding wheel is at risk of rupturing when too much side
pressure is applied----an example of which might be cleaning up a piece of
torch cut material. Light applications, such as a cutting tool that
needs virtually no stock removed, would certainly be within reason.

Ring the wheel before mounting, and break any wheel that doesn't ring
true----to avoid some poor fool from running a cracked wheel. Always
stand aside while a grinding wheel spools up------just in case! Give it a
minute or so before trusting it, then grind away.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 18:01:03 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

Hello, I am a newbie here but not new to NG.

You might do better in rec.crafts.woodturning.

I am trying to sharpen a
woodturning skew (looks like a chisel ground @ 45 degree angle or so. MFG.
says hollow grinding not suitable for this tool.

Just hollow grind it, but on a large slow wheel (about 10" or so) and
water cooled. So long as it's a big wheel, then the hollow is
negligible.

I'd hate to try and grind a skew on the side of any wheel. They're
tricky things to hold when you're grinding them, because of the skewed
angle and the resultant offset. To do one you really need a big wheel
and a nice wide toolrest. If you're doing gouges too, a wide wheel is a
good help in getting a good shape to the gouge.

I'm also unimpressed with grinding on the sides of wheels. I'll
cheerfully do it on a slow water wheel, but never on a 3000 rpm bench
grinder. The main problem is that the sides of a wheel just aren't flat
- too many people have been sharpening their tools there before and you
certainly don't want to start dressing the stone on the side!

Woodturning tools are different from bench chisels. They're HSS so
they'll never take such a fine edge anyway and they're for turning so
they don't even need it. A big 10" water cooled wheel is cheap (£100)
from the many low-end Chinese makers and will work fine for sharpening
them. For initial shaping of woodturning tools, I just use a flap disk
in an angle grinder!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Don't hollow grind it - THE user relies on the metal you will be grinding off.

That metal is held against wood and then the handle is tipped up to engage the
wood. Remember - wood turners use their hands and arms and whole bodies
to cut wood.

Metal workers have tool holders that hold their tools.

Martin [ have both wood and metal lathes ]
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
Hello, I am a newbie here but not new to NG. I am trying to sharpen a
woodturning skew (looks like a chisel ground @ 45 degree angle or so. MFG.
says hollow grinding not suitable for this tool. I read on a new grinding
wheel I purchased that there is an exception for not grinding on the side of
the wheel in ansi code b7-1. I did a google, yahoo, you name it search and
just got the same reference and/or a website to purchase this code book for
$125. Hoping some of you guys might have a clue what they are talking about.
In the mean while I will hollow grind it to keep from having a grinding
wheel removed from my chest @ the hospital. :-) Thanks in advance.
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

http://www.ind.nortonabrasives.com/M...7%20Wheels.pdf
If that doesn't stay long - use cut and paste to fix it - From Norton -
Talks about the type 27 wheels and grinding on the side...

Just remember - wood workers need the shoulders of metal and a true flat edge.

Some work places the cutting edge straight (verticle) into the wood - keeping the point out...
Some parting takes that.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
Hello, I am a newbie here but not new to NG. I am trying to sharpen a
woodturning skew (looks like a chisel ground @ 45 degree angle or so. MFG.
says hollow grinding not suitable for this tool. I read on a new grinding
wheel I purchased that there is an exception for not grinding on the side of
the wheel in ansi code b7-1. I did a google, yahoo, you name it search and
just got the same reference and/or a website to purchase this code book for
$125. Hoping some of you guys might have a clue what they are talking about.
In the mean while I will hollow grind it to keep from having a grinding
wheel removed from my chest @ the hospital. :-) Thanks in advance.
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

Thanks to all the replies on this topic, especially the ones pointing out
the type 27 grinding wheels, which of course were always designed for this
purpose (I feel stupid now). Thanks again.
Lyndell

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hello, I am a newbie here but not new to NG. I am trying to sharpen a
woodturning skew (looks like a chisel ground @ 45 degree angle or so. MFG.
says hollow grinding not suitable for this tool. I read on a new grinding
wheel I purchased that there is an exception for not grinding on the side
of the wheel in ansi code b7-1. I did a google, yahoo, you name it search
and just got the same reference and/or a website to purchase this code
book for $125. Hoping some of you guys might have a clue what they are
talking about. In the mean while I will hollow grind it to keep from
having a grinding wheel removed from my chest @ the hospital. :-) Thanks
in advance.
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

Lyndell Thompson wrote:

Hello, I am a newbie here but not new to NG. I am trying to sharpen a
woodturning skew (looks like a chisel ground @ 45 degree angle or so. MFG.
says hollow grinding not suitable for this tool. I read on a new grinding
wheel I purchased that there is an exception for not grinding on the side
of the wheel in ansi code b7-1. I did a google, yahoo, you name it search
and just got the same reference and/or a website to purchase this code
book for $125. Hoping some of you guys might have a clue what they are
talking about. In the mean while I will hollow grind it to keep from
having a grinding
wheel removed from my chest @ the hospital. :-) Thanks in advance.

There is a newsgroup, rec.crafts.woodturning, in which you will find a great
deal of expertise on the specific topic of sharpening woodturning tools.
You might want to ask this there.

Lyndell

--
--John