Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB

Default propane burner question

I just got home with a pretty good quality 500,000 btu propane burner. The
kind that is a straight pipe, intended probably as a weed burner. I intend
to hook it up to my old rivet forge to heat items I want to twist and bend.

Anyone use one of these for that?

Caveats?

Pointers?

Advice?

It must be a real Bad Boy, as it hooks up direct to a propane tank with NO
regulator.

TIA

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in message
I just got home with a pretty good quality 500,000 btu propane burner. The
kind that is a straight pipe, intended probably as a weed burner. I intend
to hook it up to my old rivet forge to heat items I want to twist and bend.

Anyone use one of these for that?

Caveats?

Pointers?

Advice?

It must be a real Bad Boy, as it hooks up direct to a propane tank with NO
regulator.

TIA

Steve

I just went outside and fired it up. My gawd, it sounds like a jet engine.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

SteveB wrote:

I just got home with a pretty good quality 500,000 btu propane burner. The
kind that is a straight pipe, intended probably as a weed burner. I intend
to hook it up to my old rivet forge to heat items I want to twist and bend.

Anyone use one of these for that?

Caveats?

Pointers?

Advice?

It must be a real Bad Boy, as it hooks up direct to a propane tank with NO
regulator.

TIA

Steve

Get a BIG tank of propane. 100 pounder for starters. The small ones
will freeze up.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag

John wrote:
SteveB wrote:

I just got home with a pretty good quality 500,000 btu propane
burner. The kind that is a straight pipe, intended probably as a
weed burner. I intend to hook it up to my old rivet forge to heat
items I want to twist and bend.

Anyone use one of these for that?

Caveats?

Pointers?

Advice?

It must be a real Bad Boy, as it hooks up direct to a propane tank
with NO regulator.

TIA

Steve

Get a BIG tank of propane. 100 pounder for starters. The small
ones will freeze up.

John

Or check out the thread in here from a couple of weeks back titled "propane
burners" . I built two for less than 20 bucks , they do need a regulator
though (I was given one ! With a 20 lb tank attached !) . I have
successfully heat-treated 4140 steel with one using a small clay flowerpot
as a "forge" .
Two burners and a regulator will cost less than that 100 pounder , and I
bet in the right vessel , will produce all the heat you need .
But that's just my opinion ...

--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:07:31 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
I just got home with a pretty good quality 500,000 btu propane burner. The
kind that is a straight pipe, intended probably as a weed burner. I intend
to hook it up to my old rivet forge to heat items I want to twist and bend.

Anyone use one of these for that?

Caveats?

Pointers?

Advice?

It must be a real Bad Boy, as it hooks up direct to a propane tank with NO
regulator.

TIA

Steve

I just went outside and fired it up. My gawd, it sounds like a jet engine.

Steve

I have one of those weed burners. It uses tons of gas. It puts out a
copious amount of heat and sound. I use it to start fires. I used to
use a long piece of 1/2" copper pipe connected to a hose that runs
from the regulator. The pipe would be placed at the bottom of a pile
of branches, blackberry canes, etc. It worked OK and didn't smell like
diesel. My neighbor saw it and made up one for himself. I told him
about my new weed burner. Told him he had to see it. He thought it was
just the same setup we already had except it had a valve. I finally
got him to come over to see the thing start a fire. The look on his
face when I pulled the trigger was priceless. He actually jumped back.
Then he wanted to use it.
ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:19:46 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

Anyone use one of these for that?

Nope. About the only thing I use mine for is hot-oil bluing.

Too much heat, not enough temperature. It's big, clumsy, uncontrollable
and pretty much useless for heating anything to a reasonable "working"
temperature.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. Zimmerman

Get yourself some Kaowool blanket or proper firebrick. When you direct the
burner into a corner formed by such material you will get enough heat to
forge steel.
We use them regularly in the shop I work in to preheat before welding.
Randy

"SteveB" wrote in message
I just got home with a pretty good quality 500,000 btu propane burner. The
kind that is a straight pipe, intended probably as a weed burner. I intend
to hook it up to my old rivet forge to heat items I want to twist and bend.

Anyone use one of these for that?

Caveats?

Pointers?

Advice?

It must be a real Bad Boy, as it hooks up direct to a propane tank with NO
regulator.

TIA

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

wrote:

I just got home with a pretty good quality 500,000 btu propane burner. The
kind that is a straight pipe, intended probably as a weed burner. I intend
to hook it up to my old rivet forge to heat items I want to twist and bend.

Anyone use one of these for that?

Caveats?

Pointers?

Advice?

It must be a real Bad Boy, as it hooks up direct to a propane tank with NO
regulator.

Got one, made several, etc.

I think you'll be disappointed in it's performance in a open top
forge (I think that's what you're describing).

One of the more common uses for those around here is as a branding
iron heater. I just did a tuneup of a branding iron furnace the other
day and I can say that if properly done you can definitely use it for
forging heat. It got the branding iron (one I'd just made for another
customer the day before) hot in a very short time (and I mean yellow
heat). The branding iron was made from 3/16" x 1 1/4" hot rolled strap
bent into the letters and attached to the handle with 5/16" rod. I'd
say it took about 30 seconds for the iron to get hot after I'd done
the modifications to the furnace. The modifications amounted to adding
a exhaust stack and blocking the torch end so that there was no excess
air drawn into the furnace with the flame. The furnace itself was just
a piece of 6" pipe about 3-4' long with a door cut in the side about
half way.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

wrote:

I just got home with a pretty good quality 500,000 btu propane burner. The
kind that is a straight pipe, intended probably as a weed burner. I intend
to hook it up to my old rivet forge to heat items I want to twist and bend.

Anyone use one of these for that?

I have one and have used it on an improvised firebrick forge.
It got the job done, use mine more for weed burning , thawing, heating
branding irons ect.
Caveats?

Mine ran too rich for blacksmithing, I added a blower setup,
which helped some but not the best.

Pointers?

Advice?

I built a Ron Reil type forge burner (easy project) and it is
considerably more efficient and all around better forge burner IMO

DE
It must be a real Bad Boy, as it hooks up direct to a propane tank with NO
regulator.

TIA

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Thomas Kendrick

The sound alone does carry across a campground. It will freeze up a
small tank with resulting pressure drop. Uses too much air and the
heat is not confined. Very nice when the firewood is wet.

wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
I just got home with a pretty good quality 500,000 btu propane burner. The
kind that is a straight pipe, intended probably as a weed burner. I intend
to hook it up to my old rivet forge to heat items I want to twist and bend.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug

someone will blast me for this, but we use weed burners all the time
for various projects. The ones with regulators are wimpy. the good ones
have no regulator, and will freeze up a 5 gallon bottle in about 5
minutes.

when teh bottle starts to slow down, torch the bottom of the bottle
until she perks back up. you want to warm it up until some of hte ice
melts off, but don't warm it up anywhere near to where the water comes
off the outside of the bottle.

torching the hose is a BAD thing.