Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default propane burner question

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:07:31 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
I just got home with a pretty good quality 500,000 btu propane burner. The
kind that is a straight pipe, intended probably as a weed burner. I intend
to hook it up to my old rivet forge to heat items I want to twist and bend.

Anyone use one of these for that?

Caveats?

Pointers?

Advice?

It must be a real Bad Boy, as it hooks up direct to a propane tank with NO
regulator.

TIA

Steve

I just went outside and fired it up. My gawd, it sounds like a jet engine.

Steve

I have one of those weed burners. It uses tons of gas. It puts out a
copious amount of heat and sound. I use it to start fires. I used to
use a long piece of 1/2" copper pipe connected to a hose that runs
from the regulator. The pipe would be placed at the bottom of a pile
of branches, blackberry canes, etc. It worked OK and didn't smell like
diesel. My neighbor saw it and made up one for himself. I told him
about my new weed burner. Told him he had to see it. He thought it was
just the same setup we already had except it had a valve. I finally
got him to come over to see the thing start a fire. The look on his
face when I pulled the trigger was priceless. He actually jumped back.
Then he wanted to use it.
ERS