Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DesertBob Jr.

Default how to refill hydrastatic drive on Gilson/Monty Ward lawn tractor ?

How does one refill the hydrastatic drive in a Gilson-built, Monty Ward
'72 lawn tractor ?

any help appreciated- where's the fill plug ?

if there a special procedure ?

thanks in advance

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DesertBob Jr. wrote:
How does one refill the hydrastatic drive in a Gilson-built, Monty Ward
'72 lawn tractor ?

any help appreciated- where's the fill plug ?

if there a special procedure ?

thanks in advance

Bob,

I have a much newer tractor of another brand, and had the same
question. Yours may be similar enough that my experience may help.

Here's what I found. The drive unit is made of two distinct components
-- the hydrostatic speed changing mechanism and a straight-forward
geared transmission. The hydrostatic unit has an oil level indicator
and fill cap. The transmission has no provision for checking lube or
adding lube if needed. "They say" the transmission is designed to be
"maintenance-free.' It isn't. Mine started making angry noises, so I
took off the input drive pulley and its bearing housing (three cap
screws) to take a look. It was dry. Spec calls for about a pound of
grease, which can be added through the hole where the input pulley is
mounted.

Working out this "fix" would be easy, if it were not for the fact that
you can't get the necessary access without removing the whole unit from
the tractor. Grit your teeth and do it. It may save a tractor which
is so old that replacement parts are unavailable.

Pat

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

Although my Cub Cadet has a very obvious filler plug, I've been told
that many of the cheaper machine brands don't. Partial disassembly is
the only way to get into them.
Bugs