Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cost of Materials

Is there a site to go to that displays the cost per pound of various
machinable metals?

I am about to pick up some 304 stainless steel, at $6.00 for each 1/4
"x 4" x 4" plate and wanted see if this is considered a normal price.

(Also, reommendations for used tools(lathes, drill presses, ect.) in
the New York area would be appreciated). :-)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rashid111

Check out part# 8992K493 @ McMaster.com

You'd need to cut it yourself into 4x4 squares, if
that's what you're after.

If you're looking for cheapest metals, pay a a visit
to a few machine shops in the area, they all have
shelves filled with scraps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rashid111 wrote:
Check out part# 8992K493 @ McMaster.com

You'd need to cut it yourself into 4x4 squares, if
that's what you're after.

If you're looking for cheapest metals, pay a a visit
to a few machine shops in the area, they all have
shelves filled with scraps.

Thanks a lot.

I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate that site.

While I'm at it, I'll also be getting 3"x 3" disks, and also 3/8"
diameter rods. Al three shapesl in 304(or preferrably 316) stainless
steel.

Thanks again.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a site to go to that displays the cost per pound of various
machinable metals?

I am about to pick up some 304 stainless steel, at $6.00 for each 1/4
"x 4" x 4" plate and wanted see if this is considered a normal price.

(Also, reommendations for used tools(lathes, drill presses, ect.) in
the New York area would be appreciated). :-)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Check your local scrap yards, find one that doesn't mind selling small
amounts. Stainless can be had quite cheaply, usually about 25 cents per
pound. For machine tools, there are plenty of auctions in the NY Metro area,
check the Sunday NY Times classified, also craigslist tools section.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We sell 1/4" 304L for $4.00/lb. for smaller quantities down to
$2.50/lb. for lots over 30#. Shearing is $75.00/hr with a .1 hr min. We
pay about $1.40 /lb in full sheet quantities. Bar is generally more
expensive thens heet. Leigh at MarMachine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a site to go to that displays the cost per pound of various
machinable metals?

I am about to pick up some 304 stainless steel, at $6.00 for each 1/4
"x 4" x 4" plate and wanted see if this is considered a normal price.

(Also, reommendations for used tools(lathes, drill presses, ect.) in
the New York area would be appreciated). :-)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Check your local scrap yards, find one that doesn't mind selling small
amounts. Stainless can be had quite cheaply, usually about 25 cents per
pound. For machine tools, there are plenty of auctions in the NY Metro area,
check the Sunday NY Times classified, also craigslist tools section.

Thanks everyone.

One weird thing is that I cannoty for some reason get to that part#
8992K493 @ McMaster.com "rashid111" mentioned.

If I put that part number into the search function it comes up, but if
I try to navigate to it by going through the options, I cannot get that
same part/page.

It has me wondering what I'm missing. And that is why I said I'm still
trying to navigate that site.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 05:00:32 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mark
Jerde" quickly quoth:

wrote:

One weird thing is that I cannoty for some reason get to that part#
8992K493 @ McMaster.com "rashid111" mentioned.

If I put that part number into the search function it comes up, but if
I try to navigate to it by going through the options, I cannot get
that same part/page.

It has me wondering what I'm missing. And that is why I said I'm still
trying to navigate that site.

Try another browser. I have to use Internet Exploder instead of FireFox on
some sites.

I got the same thing in FF 1.0.7. I downloaded 1.5 yesterday. Maybe
it's time to install it. Anyway, IE solved the problem for me on the
McMaster site.

But you're right, Mark. If you have trouble with a site, go to
another browser. Suggestion: go to the Mozilla site and download
IEtab. It allows you to automatically shift to IE if you experience
problems with M$-only-centric sites. I had to do that with my
bank sites. (IE-only bank sites? Scary, wot?)

http://ietab.mozdev.org/

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a site to go to that displays the cost per pound of various
machinable metals?

I am about to pick up some 304 stainless steel, at $6.00 for each 1/4
"x 4" x 4" plate and wanted see if this is considered a normal price.

(Also, reommendations for used tools(lathes, drill presses, ect.) in
the New York area would be appreciated). :-)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Check your local scrap yards, find one that doesn't mind selling small
amounts. Stainless can be had quite cheaply, usually about 25 cents per
pound. For machine tools, there are plenty of auctions in the NY Metro area,
check the Sunday NY Times classified, also craigslist tools section.

I checked last Sunday's papers(S.I. Advance, Daily News, and N.Y.
Times), but there wasn't anything to be seen. Actually, since my work
hours are during the week, and not flexible, I would be able to make it
to a machine auction anyway, unless it it held on the weekend. :-(

As for scrap metals, I think I'll probably stick with the new stuff, so
I'll know what I'm getting.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.