Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cost of Materials

ATP* wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a site to go to that displays the cost per pound of various
machinable metals?

I am about to pick up some 304 stainless steel, at $6.00 for each 1/4
"x 4" x 4" plate and wanted see if this is considered a normal price.

(Also, reommendations for used tools(lathes, drill presses, ect.) in
the New York area would be appreciated). :-)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Check your local scrap yards, find one that doesn't mind selling small
amounts. Stainless can be had quite cheaply, usually about 25 cents per
pound. For machine tools, there are plenty of auctions in the NY Metro area,
check the Sunday NY Times classified, also craigslist tools section.

I checked last Sunday's papers(S.I. Advance, Daily News, and N.Y.
Times), but there wasn't anything to be seen. Actually, since my work
hours are during the week, and not flexible, I would be able to make it
to a machine auction anyway, unless it it held on the weekend. :-(

As for scrap metals, I think I'll probably stick with the new stuff, so
I'll know what I'm getting.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.