myren, lord

Default composite materials

hello,

i'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to learn about using
composite materials. i've just been astounded at some of the stuff
modern ceramics and composite materials can do, and would one day like
to be able to use these materials personally. unfortunately, i know of
no place to learn though. where can i go to learn how to make use of
these advanced materials?

my college (university of maryland) has a wonderful materials
engineering program, but it doesnt teach you how to user materials, only
teaches you what they do. i'm only reasonably interested in material
properties, i'm far more interested in how to make things with the
materials.

thanks,
Myren
Tim Wescott

myren, lord wrote:

hello,

i'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to learn about using
composite materials. i've just been astounded at some of the stuff
modern ceramics and composite materials can do, and would one day like
to be able to use these materials personally. unfortunately, i know of
no place to learn though. where can i go to learn how to make use of
these advanced materials?

my college (university of maryland) has a wonderful materials
engineering program, but it doesnt teach you how to user materials, only
teaches you what they do. i'm only reasonably interested in material
properties, i'm far more interested in how to make things with the
materials.

thanks,
Myren

If you're in a ME program you're expected to be able to figure out what
to do with a material once you know its properties -- that way when you
find a new material instead of waiting for someone to tell you what to
do with it you'll know.

Actually learning the practical stuff comes from actually working. Try
to get an internship someplace they use this stuff, or see if any of
your profs are building stuff using the materials (like solar cars,
UAV's, high-tech toilets, whatever). Ask around -- there may be a prof
who's consulting for industry and whose activities won't show up on
campus, or who's running a lab that's not too visible. If you're lucky
your queries will get you on to an interesting project.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Glenn Ashmore

There are no good books that go beyond the basics. Working with composites
is only learned by doing it. Fiber orientation and resin/fiber ratios are
the keys to a really strong composite. Set up a basic vacuum bagging
system and start with glass/epoxy. Make some flat parts and then try rounds
and more complex shapes to see how the fibers move under the vacuum bag.
Then you can move to the expensive stuff like Kevlar and carbon fiber.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"myren, lord" wrote in message
hello,

i'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to learn about using
composite materials. i've just been astounded at some of the stuff
modern ceramics and composite materials can do, and would one day like
to be able to use these materials personally. unfortunately, i know of
no place to learn though. where can i go to learn how to make use of
these advanced materials?

my college (university of maryland) has a wonderful materials
engineering program, but it doesnt teach you how to user materials, only
teaches you what they do. i'm only reasonably interested in material
properties, i'm far more interested in how to make things with the
materials.

thanks,
Myren

carl mciver

"myren, lord" wrote in message
| hello,
|
| i'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to learn about using
| composite materials. i've just been astounded at some of the stuff
| modern ceramics and composite materials can do, and would one day like
| to be able to use these materials personally. unfortunately, i know of
| no place to learn though. where can i go to learn how to make use of
| these advanced materials?
|
| my college (university of maryland) has a wonderful materials
| engineering program, but it doesnt teach you how to user materials, only
| teaches you what they do. i'm only reasonably interested in material
| properties, i'm far more interested in how to make things with the
| materials.
|

| thanks,
| Myren

Visit aircraftspruce.com because they sell lots of small aircraft parts,
supplies, and kit builder hardware, as well as composites, wood, and metal.
They sell videos about how to work with various composite materials. Their
catalog alone has lots of good stuff, and I highly recommend you getting it
as well as the videos.

steamer

--OBTW they were looking for a composites expert at Scaled
Composites last month. You might give 'em a call and find out how they got
*their* expertise...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Blah blah blah blah
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : blah blah blah...