Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default 4x6 bandsaw link?

A guy was asking me today about my little 4x6 bandsaw FAQ. I have a link in it
which has gone dead, which link is (or was?):

http://www.tcis.net/~kwag98/shop/saw/4x6saw.html

That page was done by someone who called himself "Wild Bill".

Does anyone know where that page moved to, or did anyone happen to archive it?
If the latter, please email me offline so I can work with you to get my link
working again, it was a real good reference.

Even though I haven't owned a 4x6 saw for several years now, I still have a lot
of fun corresponding with guys who do. Those saws have to be still one of the
best deals going for a home metalworking shop.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gb6491

No idea where the Wild Bill page went, but these are pretty good sites:

http://www.tinyisland.com/4x6bsFAQ.html

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/Bandsaw.htm

http://www.frugalmachinist.com/bandsaw.html

http://users.tkk.fi/~kukkonen/bandsaw/bandsaw.html

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/pro.../sawstand.html

Regards,
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

It can be annoying that some vendors such as J&L in the UK sell what
appears to be the same saw with a differing paint colour next to each
other in the catalogue for differing prices. They doesn't seem to be any
difference so why the price difference. I can say though that as my
neighbour has a 4x6 which outwardly looks to same as mine it has detail
differences and is of a better quality. He bought his maybe 10 years
earlier but for the same price of about £170, so with it should better
given the decreasing value of money.

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Not just the home shop, Grant--good number of pro's have one of these tucked
in a corner somewhere, proly next to the prototype guy!

This, and mebbe a Crapsman cheapie chop saw ($66 was the lowest I
saw--better at HF?), w/ an abrasive wheel, and you got Saw Heaven.
I wonder if HF carries these 4x6 saws.
Note that diff versions of these saws (same price--$199?) have differing
quality, it seems. Or mebbe just a diff. paint job?? An acquaintance
had one from MSC, seemed much better than mine (origins unknown).
Kudos to yer FAQ.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

A guy was asking me today about my little 4x6 bandsaw FAQ. I have a link in
it which has gone dead, which link is (or was?):

http://www.tcis.net/~kwag98/shop/saw/4x6saw.html

That page was done by someone who called himself "Wild Bill".

Does anyone know where that page moved to, or did anyone happen to archive
it? If the latter, please email me offline so I can work with you to get
my link working again, it was a real good reference.

Even though I haven't owned a 4x6 saw for several years now, I still have
a lot of fun corresponding with guys who do. Those saws have to be still
one of the best deals going for a home metalworking shop.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Yep...HF still carries them. I just bought one. I was shopping around
for a 4x6 and found the HF for $199. I was still shopping around so I
didn't order it at that time. I finally decided to order the HF one and
when I went back to the site, the price had dropped to $169! The best
deal was that shipping was $8.99! I got it a week or so ago, but it is
still boxed up waiting for me to put it together. Had to get a place in
the basement cleaned out for it. Tomorrow I am getting it set up.
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

I have a Doall 4 x 6 band saw, its about 30 years old and is alot like my
dads Enco version. Mine says "Made in USA" and seems to be of a little
better quality than my dads. The casting is a bit beefer in spots, the stand
is much heavier and the wheels actualy serve a purpose, maybe mine is the
orginal that all the imports have copied, just like SO many other tools.
"David Billington" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Marc

I got mine from Enco few years ago, also for $169. And Enco has free
shipping for their "special" customers, like just about everyone who can
read. Don't know if they have theirs at $169 still, but just keep track of
the sales.

The one thing I liked better on the Enco is it has a bottom shelf. Piece of
cake to add one yourself, but I didn't have to. Otherwise, I believe
they're the same thing, pretty much.

--
--Marc

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

"wayne mak" wrote in message
news
I have a Doall 4 x 6 band saw, its about 30 years old and is alot like my
dads Enco version. Mine says "Made in USA" and seems to be of a little
better quality than my dads. The casting is a bit beefer in spots, the
stand
is much heavier and the wheels actualy serve a purpose, maybe mine is the
orginal that all the imports have copied, just like SO many other tools.

The original was made by Wilton and sold for around $800 25 years ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

I suppose wilton could have made it for Doall, but maybe not. Thats amazing
$800. Where was the Wilton made?
"Richard W." wrote in message
news:e6idnaNWSLtwiBzenZ2dnUVZ_tadnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"wayne mak" wrote in message
news
I have a Doall 4 x 6 band saw, its about 30 years old and is alot like my
dads Enco version. Mine says "Made in USA" and seems to be of a little
better quality than my dads. The casting is a bit beefer in spots, the

stand
is much heavier and the wheels actualy serve a purpose, maybe mine is the
orginal that all the imports have copied, just like SO many other tools.

The original was made by Wilton and sold for around $800 25 years ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

"wayne mak" wrote in message
I suppose wilton could have made it for Doall, but maybe not. Thats

amazing
$800. Where was the Wilton made?

In the U.S.A.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

A guy was asking me today about my little 4x6 bandsaw FAQ. I have a link in
it
which has gone dead, which link is (or was?):

http://www.tcis.net/~kwag98/shop/saw/4x6saw.html

That page was done by someone who called himself "Wild Bill".

Does anyone know where that page moved to, or did anyone happen to archive
it?
If the latter, please email me offline so I can work with you to get my link
working again, it was a real good reference.

Even though I haven't owned a 4x6 saw for several years now, I still have a
lot
of fun corresponding with guys who do. Those saws have to be still one of the
best deals going for a home metalworking shop.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Try the Way-Back machine at the Internet Archive.

http://www.archive.org/

I just tried it and it came up fine.
An amazing resource.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams

Build cable: Brother Missing Link aka Multi-Function Link, PCI-1, PC I/F jd_hupp Electronics Repair 3 November 18th 05 04:30 PM
Old Delta bandsaw questions Jonathan Woodworking 1 November 20th 04 10:27 PM
Homebrew bandsaw project part 2 is now up. Roy Metalworking 4 January 9th 04 02:27 AM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM