WF

Default How to untarnish brass?

I made a couple of brass cannons for Xmas and needed to make some
brass chain. I found that wrapping it around a small rod and splitting
the links with a Dremmel tool and cut off wheel, to be adequite.
However to wrap the brass rod efficiently, I needed to heat the rod
red to anneal it. Now that the chain is together, is there a solution
I can dip this in to untarnish it without any rubbing? I'm sure that
doing so will pull the chain apart. I tried to use emery clothe after
heating to clean it but it seemed to harden again. Any ideas?
jim

WF wrote:

I made a couple of brass cannons for Xmas and needed to make some
brass chain. I found that wrapping it around a small rod and splitting
the links with a Dremmel tool and cut off wheel, to be adequite.
However to wrap the brass rod efficiently, I needed to heat the rod
red to anneal it. Now that the chain is together, is there a solution
I can dip this in to untarnish it without any rubbing? I'm sure that
doing so will pull the chain apart. I tried to use emery clothe after
heating to clean it but it seemed to harden again. Any ideas?

try Louisiana Hot Sauce... found in the food,condiment isle of any food
store.... it will cut the tarnish off of a penny in about 2 minutes,
will probably cut the tarnish off of any metal...
Bob Edwards

WF wrote in message ws.com...
I made a couple of brass cannons for Xmas and needed to make some
brass chain. I found that wrapping it around a small rod and splitting
the links with a Dremmel tool and cut off wheel, to be adequite.
However to wrap the brass rod efficiently, I needed to heat the rod
red to anneal it. Now that the chain is together, is there a solution
I can dip this in to untarnish it without any rubbing? I'm sure that
doing so will pull the chain apart. I tried to use emery clothe after
heating to clean it but it seemed to harden again. Any ideas?

You need to acid pickle it after heating to remove the oxidation. Get
some swimming pool "dry acid" (sodium bisulphate), use about 1 cup to
a quart of very hot water, and soak your brass pieces for a while.
This removes the smutty-looking grey or black copper oxides. If you
have red stains, where the zinc burned out of the brass, leaving red
copper, then you need to find some 30% hydrogen peroxide (try beauty
supply store), and mix it 1 to 3 with a bit of the hot acid pickle
solution. A short soak in this mixture will take off the copper
stains. You might not have red stains if you didn't heat it too long
when annealing. (and, no, drugstore peroxide won't work, not strong
enough).

Regards,

Bob
Lynn Amick

I'm by far from anything that might be called a chemist, but if memory
serves me right Hydrochloric acid removes the tarnish pretty good. Just dip
it in there for a few seconds, then rinse with some clean water, let dry,
whala. Once again, this is going back from my highschool chem classes, so
my mind might be a bit tarnished by now...

--
Lynn "I have opposable thumbs, and I'm not scared to use em" Amick
http://www.amickracing.com

"WF" wrote in message
s.com...
I made a couple of brass cannons for Xmas and needed to make some
brass chain. I found that wrapping it around a small rod and splitting
the links with a Dremmel tool and cut off wheel, to be adequite.
However to wrap the brass rod efficiently, I needed to heat the rod
red to anneal it. Now that the chain is together, is there a solution
I can dip this in to untarnish it without any rubbing? I'm sure that
doing so will pull the chain apart. I tried to use emery clothe after
heating to clean it but it seemed to harden again. Any ideas?

Gerald Lamb

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 07:21:57 GMT, WF wrote:
Try vinegar and salt .Make a saturate solution.If you want it paste
add flower.rinse with cold water don't breath the fumes.You might
still want to rub it a little if you want it shine.A piece of light
wool fabric and tooth paste will do and rinse with cold watre.Tinker