Lynn Amick

Default How to untarnish brass?

I'm by far from anything that might be called a chemist, but if memory
serves me right Hydrochloric acid removes the tarnish pretty good. Just dip
it in there for a few seconds, then rinse with some clean water, let dry,
whala. Once again, this is going back from my highschool chem classes, so
my mind might be a bit tarnished by now...

--
Lynn "I have opposable thumbs, and I'm not scared to use em" Amick
http://www.amickracing.com

"WF" wrote in message
s.com...
I made a couple of brass cannons for Xmas and needed to make some
brass chain. I found that wrapping it around a small rod and splitting
the links with a Dremmel tool and cut off wheel, to be adequite.
However to wrap the brass rod efficiently, I needed to heat the rod
red to anneal it. Now that the chain is together, is there a solution
I can dip this in to untarnish it without any rubbing? I'm sure that
doing so will pull the chain apart. I tried to use emery clothe after
heating to clean it but it seemed to harden again. Any ideas?