Roy

Default Question on bandsaw tires

I have never put tires on a bandsaw, nor have I ever had the
opportunity to see a plain band saw wheel without a tire. I assume by
what I have read, that the tire does fit inside a recess in the rim of
the wheel, and the recess is flat with squared shoulders, and the
crown is built into the tire, or is the wheel also crowned that the
tire fits over? I have seen some that were flat on the tire tops, and
others that appeared to have a crown to them.

Any info appreciated.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Grant Erwin

I got a 14" Walker Turner bandsaw which had no tires whatever. The wheels
had no recess, they were just flat. The tires get glued on. I had my tires
glued on and ground true by a place in Wisconsin called Woodworkers Tool Works.
They are perfect. There isn't much crown if any, most vertical bandsaws track
via slight tilting of the upper wheel. I've owned 3 vertical bandsaws and none
of them has ever had any trouble tracking.

I've also seen Delta/Jet 14" bandsaw tires. They are just plain strips of flat
rubber. I very much doubt those wheels have a recess. I bet they're glued on too.

Grant

Roy wrote:

I have never put tires on a bandsaw, nor have I ever had the
opportunity to see a plain band saw wheel without a tire. I assume by
what I have read, that the tire does fit inside a recess in the rim of
the wheel, and the recess is flat with squared shoulders, and the
crown is built into the tire, or is the wheel also crowned that the
tire fits over? I have seen some that were flat on the tire tops, and
others that appeared to have a crown to them.

Any info appreciated.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

George Willer

Grant,

My 16" Walker-Turner has similar wheels. I found it at the scrap yard about
20 years ago where it was sent when the original tires failed. I created a
slight crown with strips of masking tape and made tires from tractor inner
tubes. The tires are not cemented at all but were trimmed after
installation so that they are about 1/4" past each side. The overhang keeps
them in place. I can't say if it will work forever, but it has been trouble
free for 20 years cutting metal at low speeds.

George Willer

Roy wrote:

I have never put tires on a bandsaw, nor have I ever had the
opportunity to see a plain band saw wheel without a tire. I assume by
what I have read, that the tire does fit inside a recess in the rim of
the wheel, and the recess is flat with squared shoulders, and the
crown is built into the tire, or is the wheel also crowned that the
tire fits over? I have seen some that were flat on the tire tops, and
others that appeared to have a crown to them.

Any info appreciated.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Jim Wilson

Grant Erwin wrote...
I've also seen Delta/Jet 14" bandsaw tires. They are just plain
strips of flat rubber. I very much doubt those wheels have a
recess. I bet they're glued on too.

These 14" bandsaw wheels do have a recess, and a crown is machined into
the surface of the wheels. There are two types of tires, rubber and
polyurethane. The rubber tires are glued in place, but the polyurethane
ones are heated, usually in water, and stretched into place with no glue.

Jim
Roy

On 02 Dec 2003 10:24:38 -0600, Jon Etheredge wrote:

(Roy) writes:
x-
x- I have never put tires on a bandsaw, nor have I ever had the
x- opportunity to see a plain band saw wheel without a tire. I assume by
x- what I have read, that the tire does fit inside a recess in the rim of
x- the wheel, and the recess is flat with squared shoulders, and the
x- crown is built into the tire, or is the wheel also crowned that the
x- tire fits over? I have seen some that were flat on the tire tops, and
x- others that appeared to have a crown to them.
x-
x-
x-Some tires fit in a recess, some don't. Sometimes the wheel is
x-crowned and sometimes the tire is crowned. I recently replaced the
x-tires on a small (12") Walker-Turner woodworking bandsaw. The wheels
x-on my saw don't have a recess nor are they crowned. I glued the tire
x-on and then crowned the tire with 120 grit sandpaper on a hard block.
x-
x-I got the rubber tires that I used from:
x-
x-http://www.carterproducts.com
x-
x-I ordered the tires about 2 months ago and at that time they only
x-offered rubber tires. Looking at their site today it seems they
x-are now offering urethane tires also.
x-
x-BTW, Carter also makes very nice ball bearing blade guides for many
x-saws. Photos on their site show enough info so you could coble
x-together some of your own.
x-
x-Jon Etheredge

Yep they sure do, and I have been working on that aspect of blade
guides already. I got sticker shock pricing a wheel from Harbor Fright
for their meat cutting saw, and liked to stroked out on Jets
replacement wheel costs. My problem with my wheels I already have is
clearance to do what I need to do to them on the lathe, due to swing.
Even with the gap removed I can not get to what I need to machine.
Next thing is try and use a friends lathe thats bigger, or cast my
own wheels out of aluminum just a bit smaller but then I can machine
them. I may even knock off what I can on my rotary table and mill and
see if I can make it work on the lathe to finish up.

Was sent a email and someone said that commercial dryer pulleys of 18"
diam make great wheels for a bandsaw. You can laminate a V belt in the
groove and it gives it the crown. Sounds like an interesting idea.

--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address