Jon Etheredge

Default Question on bandsaw tires

(Roy) writes:

I have never put tires on a bandsaw, nor have I ever had the
opportunity to see a plain band saw wheel without a tire. I assume by
what I have read, that the tire does fit inside a recess in the rim of
the wheel, and the recess is flat with squared shoulders, and the
crown is built into the tire, or is the wheel also crowned that the
tire fits over? I have seen some that were flat on the tire tops, and
others that appeared to have a crown to them.

Some tires fit in a recess, some don't. Sometimes the wheel is
crowned and sometimes the tire is crowned. I recently replaced the
tires on a small (12") Walker-Turner woodworking bandsaw. The wheels
on my saw don't have a recess nor are they crowned. I glued the tire
on and then crowned the tire with 120 grit sandpaper on a hard block.

I got the rubber tires that I used from:

http://www.carterproducts.com

I ordered the tires about 2 months ago and at that time they only
offered rubber tires. Looking at their site today it seems they
are now offering urethane tires also.

BTW, Carter also makes very nice ball bearing blade guides for many
saws. Photos on their site show enough info so you could coble
together some of your own.

Jon Etheredge