Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag

Default Material Recommendation?

Being the cheapskate that I am , I have decided to rework original rather
than replace some of the parts on the 1939 H-D I'm rebuilding (not
"restoring" !) . Some of the parts I have decided to rework are the lower
rockers on the springer front end (where the wheel mounts ...). More to the
point , I need to decide what to make the rocker bushings from . The
originals are steel , and just a bit softer than a knife blade . A file will
mark it , but not deeply . The rocker studs seem to be mild steel , at least
they machined easily . I am considering case hardening the wear surfaces ...
bushings are cheaper than studs .
The bushings will be about 1" OD X .875" long , with a wall thickness of
either .150" or .165" , depending on which location they're in .
I have very limited experience with material selection (unless you want
to build some cabinets or a receptionist's desk ---) and have no idea what
alloy would be best for these bushings . Anybody care to venture an opinion
?
I will be making some bearing cups to replace the ball bearings in the
steering neck with a tapered roller , and need some suggestions there also .
Thanks !
--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"