stone

Default OT - Farmer question

What's the word for that part of the
crop that is lost to rats.

I think there is a term for this amount
that you simply write off as expected to
be lost.

Thanks.

Ken Davey

stone wrote:
What's the word for that part of the
crop that is lost to rats.

I think there is a term for this amount
that you simply write off as expected to
be lost.

Thanks.

Not a clue.
Varment value?
Rattage?
Rodent roundoff?
Shrill shrinkage?

Ken.

stone

Spoilage.

Thanks.

Is there nothing more specific to loss of
crops(corn) during storage -- to rats.(rodents)??

I drove by a farm and noticed a building filled with corn.

It was a simple pole building with a sliding door
containing a pile of corn.

I thought to myself that it must be a huge rat magnet.

Okay it's a cheap way to store grain, but who wants to
invite rats into their realm. It seemed incredibly stupid.

I guess I don't really know the consequences of this
type of storage. But it instigated a memory of a term
for this loss, a term real or imagined.

Good day everyone.

Pete Keillor

On 15 Nov 2005 17:10:06 -0800, "stone" wrote:

Spoilage.

Thanks.

Is there nothing more specific to loss of
crops(corn) during storage -- to rats.(rodents)??

I drove by a farm and noticed a building filled with corn.

It was a simple pole building with a sliding door
containing a pile of corn.

I thought to myself that it must be a huge rat magnet.

Okay it's a cheap way to store grain, but who wants to
invite rats into their realm. It seemed incredibly stupid.

I guess I don't really know the consequences of this
type of storage. But it instigated a memory of a term
for this loss, a term real or imagined.

Good day everyone.

They might not have had a choice. Around here (mid-Michigan) they
were dumping it on the ground a few weeks ago. Everything was full.
People were trying to leave it in the field, but at some point, you've
got to get it before the snow comes. Then a 60 car train finally
showed up, and they began to shift the excess.
Fred R

Pete Keillor wrote:

They might not have had a choice. Around here (mid-Michigan) they
were dumping it on the ground a few weeks ago. Everything was full.
People were trying to leave it in the field, but at some point, you've
got to get it before the snow comes. Then a 60 car train finally
showed up, and they began to shift the excess.

That's it exactly, Pete - emergency storage. Same problem here in Ohio;
my brother had to 'reactivate' a decommissioned silo to avoid just
making a big pile. No farmer would prefer to do it that way; the
vagaries of crop yield and market speculation activity force odd
solutions sometimes.
--
Fred R
________________
stone

Emergency -- that's a good point that I hadn't
considered, my bad.

Corn is cheap, under 2 bucks. But I guess the
government programs continue to keep the
farmers planting corn, no matter what.

I excuse myself for not considering the
'emergency'.

Jerry Foster

"Shrinkage" applies to losses of all kinds.

Incidentally, some years back (maybe they still do) in Grand Meadow, MN,
they would close a block of a little-used street and pile it with corn.
During the harvest, the farmers would deliver it MUCH faster than the
truckers could haul it away (to the ships in Duluth, the mills in
Minneapolis or the barges in Winona...).

I'm sure the rats had a picnic. And so did the cats...

Jerry

"stone" wrote in message
oups.com...
What's the word for that part of the
crop that is lost to rats.

I think there is a term for this amount
that you simply write off as expected to
be lost.

Thanks.

On 15 Nov 2005 10:41:04 -0800, "stone" wrote:

What's the word for that part of the
crop that is lost to rats.

I think there is a term for this amount
that you simply write off as expected to
be lost.

Thanks.

Shrinkage - same as the inventory lost to rats that shoplift or take
it out the back door in their lunchpail.

On 15 Nov 2005 17:10:06 -0800, "stone" wrote:

Spoilage.

Thanks.

Is there nothing more specific to loss of
crops(corn) during storage -- to rats.(rodents)??

I drove by a farm and noticed a building filled with corn.

It was a simple pole building with a sliding door
containing a pile of corn.

I thought to myself that it must be a huge rat magnet.

Okay it's a cheap way to store grain, but who wants to
invite rats into their realm. It seemed incredibly stupid.

I guess I don't really know the consequences of this
type of storage. But it instigated a memory of a term
for this loss, a term real or imagined.

Good day everyone.

What you saw is known as a "corn crib" and yes, they CAN attract rats
- but not much worse than many other granery designs.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 02:35:19 GMT, "Jerry Foster"
wrote:

Incidentally, some years back (maybe they still do) in Grand Meadow, MN,
they would close a block of a little-used street and pile it with corn.

This practice has fallen from favour, but apparently this year it's back
in fashion. Huge surpluses and simply nowhere to store it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 15 Nov 2005 17:55:42 -0800, stone wrote:
Emergency -- that's a good point that I hadn't
considered, my bad.

Corn is cheap, under 2 bucks. But I guess the
government programs continue to keep the
farmers planting corn, no matter what.

Your ignorance seems to extend beyond just storage issues. The
government is also paying owners of farmland _not_ to grow crops, which
would lead to overproduction, plummeting prices, and worn-out land.

I excuse myself for not considering the
'emergency'.

What's your goal here, stone?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 15 Nov 2005 17:55:42 -0800, stone wrote:
Emergency -- that's a good point that I hadn't
considered, my bad.

Corn is cheap, under 2 bucks. But I guess the
government programs continue to keep the
farmers planting corn, no matter what.

Your ignorance seems to extend beyond just storage issues. The
government is also paying owners of farmland _not_ to grow crops, which
would lead to overproduction, plummeting prices, and worn-out land.

I excuse myself for not considering the
'emergency'.

What's your goal here, stone?

Agreed. I'll accept stone's statements are based on raw ignorance on
not assume any intentional malice.

FWIW - Corn prices this spring(when farmers were planting corn) were
around $2.50 CBOT. Now due to various circumstances, they are less
than $2.00 CBOT. Also FWIW, input costs have not declined accordingly.
Fuel costs are up, fertilzer costs are up SIGNIFICANTLY(~$300/tn for
2004 vs ~$450/tn 2005). Projected 2006 costs are continuing the trend.

JW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On 16 Nov 2005 09:21:05 -0800, "jw" wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

Or as the bumper sticker said, "If you're going to complain about
farmers, don't talk with your mouth full!"

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw

Or as the bumper sticker said, "If you're going to complain about
farmers, don't talk with your mouth full!"

I like that one. I will have to remember.

JW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug

Rattage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jtaylor

Default Joke - was OT - Farmer question

"stone" wrote in message
oups.com...
What's the word for that part of the
crop that is lost to rats.

I think there is a term for this amount
that you simply write off as expected to
be lost.

Didja hear about the farmer who won the lottery?

Said he was just gonna keep on farming 'till it was all gone.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

How do you make a small fortune in Aviation? Start with a large one.

"jtaylor" wrote in message
t.ca...
Didja hear about the farmer who won the lottery?

Said he was just gonna keep on farming 'till it was all gone.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM