Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

Default OT - Farmer question

On 16 Nov 2005 09:21:05 -0800, "jw" wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 15 Nov 2005 17:55:42 -0800, stone wrote:
Emergency -- that's a good point that I hadn't
considered, my bad.

Corn is cheap, under 2 bucks. But I guess the
government programs continue to keep the
farmers planting corn, no matter what.

Your ignorance seems to extend beyond just storage issues. The
government is also paying owners of farmland _not_ to grow crops, which
would lead to overproduction, plummeting prices, and worn-out land.

I excuse myself for not considering the
'emergency'.

What's your goal here, stone?

Agreed. I'll accept stone's statements are based on raw ignorance on
not assume any intentional malice.

FWIW - Corn prices this spring(when farmers were planting corn) were
around $2.50 CBOT. Now due to various circumstances, they are less
than $2.00 CBOT. Also FWIW, input costs have not declined accordingly.
Fuel costs are up, fertilzer costs are up SIGNIFICANTLY(~$300/tn for
2004 vs ~$450/tn 2005). Projected 2006 costs are continuing the trend.

JW

Or as the bumper sticker said, "If you're going to complain about
farmers, don't talk with your mouth full!"

Pete Keillor