Gunner Asch

Default Seattle shipyard 100+ welders auction

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:50:40 GMT, "Mike H."
wrote:

For anyone interested, Marcos Shipyards in Seattle is going on the
auction block next Wednesday. Gunner can drool over the pics

They have a 28 page PDF catalog listing 1300+ items that relate
directly to welding that you can download plus some pictures on the
auctioneers web page.

http://www.murphyauctions.net/marcoshipyard.html

Mike H.

You *******!! I just shorted out the keyboard and had to dig out
another one....burning drool smells sooooo nasty. G

Sigh...another American business down the ****ter.

On the bright side...all those welders are gonna hit the surplus
market in a year or so, as I cannot imagine any one company buying and
using them all, and they are likely going to be cheap.

Grant might score big on this one. Maybe he will buy me one G

Id LOVE to have one of those Miller 304s...hint hint Grant....

On the other hand..Ive actually..finally..run out of room in my home
machine shop. And while I really want that 16" shaper Ive
found....Ive no place to put it.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Grant Erwin

Gunner Asch wrote:

http://www.murphyauctions.net/marcoshipyard.html

Sigh...another American business down the ****ter.

On the bright side...all those welders are gonna hit the surplus
market in a year or so, as I cannot imagine any one company buying and
using them all, and they are likely going to be cheap.

Grant might score big on this one. Maybe he will buy me one G

Id LOVE to have one of those Miller 304s...hint hint Grant....

I used to work at Marco, great place to work. It was a family operation that
built very high quality fishing boats. It was amazing to see their operation
back in the late '70s during the king crab boom. In those days a guy could get
on a crabber as a deckhand and go up for one trip to Alaska, and come back with
enough money to finance buying his own $3M crab boat, and lots of guys were
doing just that. Marco was cranking 'em out every 28 days, top quality every
one. They had real good machinists there, but their best feature was their
shipwrights. They had an amazing wood shop (not using the nautical name there)
stocked with dozens of exotic hardwoods, and they used to outfit the living
spaces of those crab boats like throne rooms, just GORGEOUS.

I'm sorry, Gunner, I'm not going to that auction, not even for sentimental
reasons, don't care if they're giving the welders away, I just don't want to see
the old place torn to pieces. Another case of the old man dies and the kids ****
away a great business, I'm afraid, this one wasn't much to do with global economics.

GWE
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 08:33:44 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Would you send your wife???? Id love to have a 304.....

Sorry to hear about the company. Far too much of that these days.
Im helping an older fellow try to restart a company, that his son
drank into the ground.

Anyone going to that auction that would trade Stuff if they managed to
snag a couple Miller 304s?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Mike Berger

Aren't shipyard tools very very heavily used?

Gunner Asch wrote:

Anyone going to that auction that would trade Stuff if they managed to
snag a couple Miller 304s?

Jim Stewart

Mike Berger wrote:
Aren't shipyard tools very very heavily used?

Yeah, and they are very heavy too.

SteveB

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Mike Berger wrote:
Aren't shipyard tools very very heavily used?

Yeah, and they are very heavy too.

So they are not easily concealed in lunch boxes. g

Steve

R. Zimmerman

I haven't seen a welding machine in a shipyard that was not full of rust.
The moisture is pretty hard on equipment.
Randy

Gunner Asch wrote:

Anyone going to that auction that would trade Stuff if they managed to
snag a couple Miller 304s?

Grant Erwin

R. Zimmerman wrote:

I haven't seen a welding machine in a shipyard that was not full of rust.
The moisture is pretty hard on equipment.
Randy

Well, it has been known to rain on occasion here in Seattle .. :-)

I'm sticking with my decision to NOT go to this auction.

GWE
SteveB

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
R. Zimmerman wrote:

I haven't seen a welding machine in a shipyard that was not full of rust.
The moisture is pretty hard on equipment.
Randy

Well, it has been known to rain on occasion here in Seattle .. :-)

I'm sticking with my decision to NOT go to this auction.

GWE

I would go just to look around on the off chance that there were some deals
there. Victor equipment weathers pretty good, and there are other treasures
to be had. I once bought a pallet load of welding cable from the Nevada
Test Site at an auction. I paid $50 for it, and they put it in my truck
with a forklift. I drove the 85 miles home at 33 miles per hour, I had such
a load in my bed.

I made a few bucks on that deal.

Well, more than a few bucks.

But as far as the IRS was concerned, I only made a little more than gas
money and the standard mileage deduction. ;-)

Steve

SteveB

R. Zimmerman wrote:

I haven't seen a welding machine in a shipyard that was not full of rust.
The moisture is pretty hard on equipment.
Randy

Well, it has been known to rain on occasion here in Seattle .. :-)

I'm sticking with my decision to NOT go to this auction.

GWE

I have learned to never drive by an auction or yard sale without looking.

One time, I found a yard sale that had tons of kids clothes. Tons of
thoroughly used kitchen items. Tons of household items that needed to go
into a dumpster.

And I saw a tin mechanical Mickey Mouse playing a xylophone, which I snagged
for $5.

He sits in a safe place now, and I have turned down $300 for him.

I now get out and thoroughly look through things figuring that there has to
be at least one diamond in all that dirt.

Steve