keith

Default LEST WE FORGET

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:11:23 -0500, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:48:37 -0500, the renowned Keith Williams
wrote:

There was just a thing on the radio giving the history of the
holiday. Armistice Day was renamed Veterans' Day in 1954. Veterans
day was then moved to October in the '60s and back to 11/11 in the
late '70s.

According to CNN domestic they also wanted to move it to a Monday like
some other holidays, but veterans' groups wouldn't have it and
continued to mark it on 11/11 until the gov't caved.

Yes, that's why it was moved to October (third Monday?) and why it was
moved back. I don't think anyone's going to mess with it again soon.

--
Keith

keith

wrote:

There was just a thing on the radio giving the history of the
holiday. Armistice Day was renamed Veterans' Day in 1954. Veterans
day was then moved to October in the '60s and back to 11/11 in the
late '70s.

According to CNN domestic they also wanted to move it to a Monday like
some other holidays, but veterans' groups wouldn't have it and
continued to mark it on 11/11 until the gov't caved.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
--

Good on 'em - some holidays can be moved, some can't.

Yeah, we should move the fourth-of-July next. ;-)

--
Keith
Jasen Betts

for torturing the cat." Gunner

If "older brother" wasn't crapping in my bed and stealing my lunch,
I migght.

Bye.
Jasen
Paul Burridge

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:57:52 GMT, Fred Bloggs
wrote:

Actually, the Eric Bogle song relates more specifically to Anzac Day,
April 25th when the troops of Australia and New Zealand landed at
Gallipoli. These soldiers are known as ANZACS because they comprised
soldiers of both Australia and New Zealand Army Corps.

Right- when the pathetically incompetent riffraff in command are
responsible for their slaughter, then we memorialize them...Why don't
you just call it fodder day?

We think of the fallen of WW1 as "Lions Lead by Donkeys" so your
comment is technically correct, but very disrespectful. Do try to be a
little less unpleasant in your choice of phraseology, especially at
this time of year.

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd" - William Blake

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:21:46 -0500, keith wrote:

Good on 'em - some holidays can be moved, some can't.

Yeah, we should move the fourth-of-July next. ;-)

Easy

Sunday June 30, Monday July 4, Tuesday July 1,
Wed July 2, Thurs July 3, Friday July 5, Saturday July 6
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

John Husvar

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:47:44 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

In the States it's called Veterans' Day

...Jim Thompson

The second much much less well known (obscure actually) reason to
celebrate, is that its my birthday.

Gunner

And my son's.

Hey, Jerod, the whole country's celebrating your birthday. Give the
veterans a hearty thank you for the nation they enabled you to grow up
in.
John Husvar

In article ,
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

wrote:

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

In the States it's called Veterans' Day

...Jim Thompson

The second much much less well known (obscure actually) reason to
celebrate, is that its my birthday.

Gunner

Have a great one Gunner.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Yowza! Happy Birthday, Gunner!
John Husvar

In article oy1df.7470$vC6.3037@trnddc05,
"E. Walter Le Roy" wrote:

Down here in the States, it used to be "Memorial Day" for WW1 vets, but now
it's been changed to "Veteran's Day" and covers old WW2 vets like me as well
as all other vets of foreign wars, including those who are over there now.
Thanks for reminding us Brian. I've got my flag out now.
Walt

You're a WW2 vet? Well, then, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

So's my dad. I thank him often, too.
keith

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:26:29 +0000, alan200 wrote:

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:21:46 -0500, keith wrote:

Good on 'em - some holidays can be moved, some can't.

Yeah, we should move the fourth-of-July next. ;-)

Easy

Sunday June 30, Monday July 4, Tuesday July 1,
Wed July 2, Thurs July 3, Friday July 5, Saturday July 6

Oh, crap! ...and most have problems figuring out and adjusting to DST!

--
Keith
Hawke

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
If "they" wern't over here and we weren't over there, would there
be a problem, and if not does this suggest a possible solution?

GmcD

Seems ridiculously simple, if they and we minded our own business we could
do away with an awful lot of fighting. But as simple as that sounds it's
never going to happen as long as the US continues to have war after war
after war. We have a lot of excuses for why we are going to war so often but
by now they are pretty shopworn. I suppose when one country spends as much
on it's military forces as the rest of the world combined like we do you
can't blame it from using it at every opportunity. There is also never
going to be any way for us to forget the dead and maimed veterans because we
keep making more of them. Just think, if we were like some of the European
countries that haven't fought a war since WWII, by now we would have a hard
time remembering it. But like I said, we keep making more wars and more
veterans so it'll be impossible to forget.

Hawke

tillius

Seems ridiculously simple, if they and we minded our own business we could
do away with an awful lot of fighting. But as simple as that sounds it's
never going to happen as long as the US continues to have war

That's so funny., If they and we... but we get attacked and it's our
fault.
Sure.

if we were like some of the European countries that haven't fought a war since WWII

Like France? Oh wait. They didn't fight in WWII either. We saved their
sorry butts.
And they've certainly make the radical islamists happy by minding their
own business (notice the rioting of moslems in NY, LA, Chicago? Oh,
sorry, that's Paris).

Tillman

Tillman

F. George McDuffee

And how did 'they' get 'here?'

The word you are looking for is 'deportation,' as in "don't let
the door hit you in the a** on the way out." [Applies in both
France and the US]

Uncle George

On 14 Nov 2005 06:33:07 -0800, "tillius"
wrote:

Seems ridiculously simple, if they and we minded our own business we could
do away with an awful lot of fighting. But as simple as that sounds it's
never going to happen as long as the US continues to have war

That's so funny., If they and we... but we get attacked and it's our
fault.
Sure.

if we were like some of the European countries that haven't fought a war since WWII

Like France? Oh wait. They didn't fight in WWII either. We saved their
sorry butts.
And they've certainly make the radical islamists happy by minding their
own business (notice the rioting of moslems in NY, LA, Chicago? Oh,
sorry, that's Paris).

Tillman

Tillman

Forget left handed tape measures and things, prolly well off topic ... raden UK diy 4 December 14th 04 08:03 PM
Don't forget raden UK diy 2 September 7th 04 11:36 PM
OT NEVER Forget!!! Davoud Woodworking 57 September 15th 03 02:43 AM